Adjust Font Size: A A       Guest settings   Register

Daisuke Matsuzaka

Discussion in the Ask the Commish forum
Daisuke Matsuzaka
What is the pronunciation of Daisuke Matsuzaka as he would like it? Thanks.

j.brooks at xmradio d0t com
MLB on XM
HomePLate 175
Comments
Re: Daisuke Matsuzaka
[ Author: nanbanjin | Posted: Oct 12, 2006 11:15 AM | HAN Fan ]

I'm not an English native speaker, so I probably shouldn't be doing this but, anyway, here goes:

Daisuke: "Daisu" like "dice" - "ke" like "care" without the "r" at the end. Stress on the first syllable: DAIsuke

Matsuzaka: "Matsu" like "Matt's" - only the A would be like the one in Boston's "pahk the cah." I cannot find any similar words for "zaka" but it should be pretty straightforward, something like "zah-kah". Just remember to pronounce all the As with the same AH sound. Stress on the first and third: MAtsuZAka

Hope it helped.
[ Author: mijow | Posted: Oct 12, 2006 11:15 PM | HT Fan ]

Good explanation, but it's important not to make the vowels too long. For some reason many Americans tend to mangle Japanese pronunciation because they don't get the vowels right (even extremely fluent speakers).

So zah-kah should just be plain old za-ka. And don't overdo the stress.
[ Author: Guest: Linguist | Posted: Jul 10, 2007 7:07 AM ]

[Old Thread Warning]

English speakers have trouble with Japanese vowels because Japanese has what are called unvoiced vowels (which occur between certain consonant sounds - like s and k, whereas English does not. As a result, English speakers will tend to pronounce these vowels. Furthermore, English vowels tend to be longer than vowels in Japanese, anyway.
[ Author: mijow | Posted: Jul 11, 2007 9:31 AM | HT Fan ]

- English speakers will tend to pronounce these vowels.

Yes, but not all English speakers are the same. I'd humbly suggest that Americans tend to have more trouble getting Japanese vowels right than some other native speakers of English. Just my observation.

- Furthermore, English vowels tend to be longer than vowels in Japanese, anyway.

Are they? I think it's important to recognize the variety in English. As I said, not all speakers are the same. My long vowels in English are about the same as those in Japanese.
About

This is a site about Pro Yakyu (Japanese Baseball), not about who the next player to go over to MLB is. It's a community of Pro Yakyu fans who have come together to share their knowledge and opinions with the world. It's a place to follow teams and individuals playing baseball in Japan (and Asia), and to learn about Japanese (and Asian) culture through baseball.

It is my sincere hope that once you learn a bit about what we're about here that you will join the community of contributors.

Michael Westbay
(aka westbaystars)
Founder

Search for Pro Yakyu news and information
Copyright (c) 1995-2024 JapaneseBaseball.com.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons License.
Some rights reserved.