Adjust Font Size: A A       Guest settings   Register

Japanese baseball database (2012)

Discussion in the Open Talk forum
Japanese baseball database (2012)
Hi. I wanted to share a Japanese baseball database with this community. It includes Nippon Professional Baseball statistics (ichi-gun only) from 1936 to 2011. It is a redesigned and updated version of the earlier Japanese Baseball Database—please note that the two are not compatible. The database itself is a set of CSV files so they may be imported any RDBMS or spreadsheet program. It can be downloaded from here, while an online version is here. Hopefully some of you find it to be useful.
Michael Eng
Comments
Re: Japanese baseball database (2012)
[ Author: westbaystars | Posted: Sep 1, 2012 10:54 PM | YBS Fan ]

Thank you for continuing to develop this, Eng-san. It really does tear me up that my current employment doesn't allow me to further contribute to this effort.
Re: Japanese baseball database (2012)
[ Author: Rocksfan | Posted: Sep 3, 2012 7:01 AM | CHU Fan ]

Wow - this is awesome. Thank you for creating a fantastic database and website.

One thing though - it would be great if you could add uniform numbers for players (I've been using this website for research quite a bit).

It's a great site and I know that it took a great deal of work. Thank you again.
Japanese Baseball Database (release 2012-04)
[ Author: meng | Posted: Oct 12, 2012 11:08 PM ]

Hi. I have made the following changes and additions to the Japanese Baseball Database (release 2012-04):

* added places of birth and death for people
* added catching/fielding stats (2005 to 2011) [note: the old fielding games table has been renamed to defense]
* added a meikan (roster listing) from 1936 to 2008 --- includes all uniformed people (coaches, ni-gun players, etc.) with associated additions made to the persons tables
* some corrections made to statistics

I have also added franchise-level player registers (i.e. Golden Eagles pitching) and leaders (i.e. Giants batting) to the online version.

The database can be downloaded from here, while the online version is here, both are licensed under the CC BY-NC-SA 3.0.

Cheers.
Michael Eng
Re: Japanese Baseball Database (release 2012-04)
[ Author: rogerbd | Posted: Feb 3, 2013 6:00 AM | FSH Fan ]

I realize that this is an old thread, but I wanted to say that I really appreciate your efforts. I am constantly browsing the stats you have provided.

I spent a year in Okinawa in 1973, watching a lot of NPB and being confused. I have some great old memories, and your database has revived many.

Thanks again for all your hard work and thanks to Westbay-san for this site.

Roger R
About

This is a site about Pro Yakyu (Japanese Baseball), not about who the next player to go over to MLB is. It's a community of Pro Yakyu fans who have come together to share their knowledge and opinions with the world. It's a place to follow teams and individuals playing baseball in Japan (and Asia), and to learn about Japanese (and Asian) culture through baseball.

It is my sincere hope that once you learn a bit about what we're about here that you will join the community of contributors.

Michael Westbay
(aka westbaystars)
Founder

Search for Pro Yakyu news and information
Copyright (c) 1995-2024 JapaneseBaseball.com.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons License.
Some rights reserved.