Adjust Font Size: A A       Guest settings   Register

Former Tigers' pitcher Shigeru Kobayashi dies at 57

Discussion in the Open Talk forum
Former Tigers' pitcher Shigeru Kobayashi dies at 57
From The Japan Times:
Hokkaido Nippon Ham Fighters pitching coach Shigeru Kobayashi died of heart failure at a hospital in Fukui on Sunday, the club said. He was 57.

The sidearm right-hander had a 139-95 record with 17 saves and a 3.18 ERA in his 11-year career through 1983.
Question: Kobayashi stopped playing after the 1983 season at age 31. He had a 13-14 record, pitched 209 inning that season. Why did he stop his career that young?
Comments
Re: Former Tigers' pitcher Shigeru Kobayashi dies at 57
[ Author: Deanna | Posted: Jan 19, 2010 6:30 PM | NIP Fan ]

I feel terrible because this guy was a pitching coach with the Fighters ni-gun team all last year and I barely ever really paid much attention to him at all, despite that I saw him around Kamagaya plenty. He wasn't quite as gregarious with the post-game crew as some of the coaches who had been around a bit longer, basically. I guess maybe with a career like his (being the other half of the trade in the Egawa affair and winning two Sawamuras), he felt a little more reserved around crazy fans?

Anyway, according to Wikipedia, after he only had 11 wins in 1982, he said "If I can't get 15 wins next year, I'm gonna quit", and well, he went 13-14 in 1983, and true to his word, he quit.
About

This is a site about Pro Yakyu (Japanese Baseball), not about who the next player to go over to MLB is. It's a community of Pro Yakyu fans who have come together to share their knowledge and opinions with the world. It's a place to follow teams and individuals playing baseball in Japan (and Asia), and to learn about Japanese (and Asian) culture through baseball.

It is my sincere hope that once you learn a bit about what we're about here that you will join the community of contributors.

Michael Westbay
(aka westbaystars)
Founder

Search for Pro Yakyu news and information
Copyright (c) 1995-2024 JapaneseBaseball.com.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons License.
Some rights reserved.