Adjust Font Size: A A       Guest settings   Register

Tyrone Woods' Future

Discussion in the Open Talk forum
Tyrone Woods' Future
I'm curious about what happened to Tyrone Woods. I know the Dragons let him go, but I wonder if he retired or what?

I understand the Dragons' reasoning for not resigning him (he's 40), but at the same time, it's not like the Dragons have anyone to replace him. Woods saved their cheap butts countless times last year, most famously the homer off the Tigers in the playoffs.
Comments
Re: Tyrone Woods' Future
[ Author: No.1BayFan | Posted: Dec 1, 2008 2:47 PM | YOK Fan ]

Ochai-kantouku was quoted as saying that the team can't keep relying on him forever and that they wanted to get younger as a team.

Source: Japan Ball
[ Author: No.1BayFan | Posted: Dec 1, 2008 2:54 PM | YOK Fan ]

Besides, I wouldn't call Chunichi a "cheap" team. They've shown that they're willing to spend when need be (like last year with Wada). It's clear that the Dragons are in a "rebuilding" mode of sorts this year by not bringing back Woods (39) and Norihiro Nakamura (35).
[ Author: Guest: Alex | Posted: Dec 2, 2008 5:26 AM ]

I understand why they didn't resign him (money, age, etc.), and calling the Dragons cheap was a bit off. However, saying they are willing to spend is a bit off when Wada was their only big signing last year and signing a 36 year old outfielder isn't actually rebuilding either.
[ Author: Christopher | Posted: Dec 2, 2008 10:55 AM | HAN Fan ]

This I'm afraid has been standard with non-Japanese ball players. Once their numbers fall they are unceremoniously dumped, especially if they are expensive. This is the second time Woods has been dumped by a team - the BayStars dumped him because they didn't want to pay him what he was worth, which is why he went to the Dragons.

Dragons' salary costs are considered too high by the management, and have been considered so for some time. Bringing up younger players (the Donue brothers for example) is also cheaper.
[ Author: No.1BayFan | Posted: Dec 2, 2008 1:33 PM | YOK Fan ]

I would have to disagree. I don't think that Chunichi had a "rebuilding" theme in mind during the 2007 off-season, as the signing of Wada was clearly to have him replace Fukudome (offensive-wise at least). Unfortunately, Wada's glove work leaves little to be desired, so maybe it wasn't the best signing, but at least Chunichi went out and found someone whereas many teams either let their players go or lose them to free agency.

In my view, Chunichi thought they could contend again with the same core of players that won the 2007 Nippon Series, and while they did indeed do that in 2008, they obviously weren't as effective the second time around.
[ Author: Christopher | Posted: Dec 1, 2008 4:23 PM | HAN Fan ]

He costs a lot for his numbers and is getting on. The Dragons might as well develop a younger team rather than pay Woods' enormous salary.

I think here they might have more justification than Swallows had with dumping Ramirez. Notably, no other team seems to have shown any interest in Woods either.
[ Author: Jbroks86 | Posted: Dec 3, 2008 12:22 AM | SFT Fan ]

- He costs a lot for his numbers and is getting on.

So a .276/.377/.526 line with 35 HRs and 77 RBI is too little for his numbers. With the lack of offensive potential with Woods gone, it's a mistake. For a team that lost Fukudome last year, lost Nakamura to Rakuten this year, and is all but sure to lose Kawakami as well, it's going to be a bad offensive team. When you take out Nakamura and Woods you take out a big chunk of their offensive potential, and if the stats are right on the Chunichi team page, they didn't steal at all with just 51.

Another point about Woods' numbers, there were players in the Olympics, their were injuries, and there didn't seem to be much offensive production in front of Nakamura/Woods besides Wada. But Wada alone at age 36 isn't going to carry the Dragons for years to come, especially with the heart of the offense torn out from behind him.

The question to Christopher is, where do you replace that potential if you expect to be a contender? It would help for a change to look outside of the box and the see the results of taking Woods out of the lineup instead of just saying Woods is old and Chunichi needs to move on.

- I think here they might have more justification than Swallows had with dumping Ramirez.

Once again Christopher you have another statement that can not be backed up with stats. Woods, for the large part, has been as productive as Ramirez. The only thing Ramirez has on Woods is he's younger. But if you base your point on offensive production alone, there's no justification to release Woods.

- Notably, no other team seems to have shown any interest in Woods either.

And? The fact that not one Pacific League team has showed interest with Woods as a DH is a testament to the stupidity of the front offices in NPB. The fact is, there isn't a PL team out there who can say they couldn't use the offensive numbers of Woods at DH where's he's off the field and more rested.

Look, Woods might try to go to MLB if a NPB team doesn't sign him, but the market for a 39 year old first baseman who doesn't have a track record (even Petagine had a slight MLB track record) doesn't look like he will get more than a minor league contract with an invite to spring training, and even then there's no guarantee he will even make a 25-man roster.

The fact is, Woods is better off financially in NPB, and he will have to lower his demands. You can't possibly tell me with a straight face that there isn't one offensively challenged PL team that can't use him as a DH at a lower price. I can think of a few (Nippon Ham, SoftBank, and Chiba Lotte).
[ Author: Christopher | Posted: Dec 3, 2008 1:31 PM | HAN Fan ]

- So a .276/.377/.526 line with 35 HRs and 77 RBI is too little for his numbers.

It is when you're paid six-oku yen. I am not sure if Woods was prepared to drop his salary, but this is what he would need to do to stay.

Woods peaked in 2006 and has declined in production for the past two years, not just one year. Chunichi probably had the choice of continuing to pay the salary and gamble on a batter who was fading or to cut their losses. It is endemic in Japanese baseball that once a foreigner starts to fail then he is let go. Second chances are very rare.

The Swallows dumped a player at the top of his game who then continued to perform because they didn't want to pay what he was worth. Chunichi dumped a player who was beginning to fade - an important difference. Watching Woods bat last season one could see the decline, and I'm not surprised that Chunichi wanted to dump him. If I can see the decline, so can others.

Quite simply, Woods does not have the name value of a Kiyohara and is expensive. As you say, he may have a career as a DH at a lower salary, but that is all. Chunichi's mistake was to let Nakamura go, not Woods.
[ Author: Jbroks86 | Posted: Dec 4, 2008 3:13 AM | SFT Fan ]

That's nice Christopher, but I asked where you replace such numbers from? I'm aware of how the NPB front office minds work when a foreign player's numbers slide, though you just don't replace .276/.377/.526 numbers everyday. Add that on top of the loss of Nakamura and the lackluster Chunichi offense, it's going to be an offensive lacking team in 2009.

I agree, after two declining seasons that Woods should bring down his salary demands. Then again, I have no idea if he did or didn't lower his demands or it was a gun-ho front office who wasn't willing to listen either. Because, look, they're going to have to replace Woods' numbers (even on the decline), and that isn't going to be easy.
[ Author: Guest: Alex | Posted: Dec 4, 2008 8:58 AM ]

Let me start by saying Jbroks86 hit it right on the head.
Chunichi's mistake was to let Nakamura go, not Woods.
I'm sorry, but what? If the Dragons wanted to rebuild, letting Nakamura leave was just as important as Woods' departure. Nakamura demanded a starting gig if I'm not mistaken. Also, while I'm not doubting his batting skills, he did benefit from batting in front of Woods.

Like Jbroks86 pointed out, Woods' decline (especially in RBIs) can also be attributed to his teammates' failures. I.e. Araki who, for an lead-off man, can't hit worth cr@p.
[ Author: No.1BayFan | Posted: Dec 4, 2008 11:49 AM | YOK Fan ]

I have to agree with Christopher here. From what I've been gathering, the primary reason that Nakamura was not re-signed by Chunichi was because Chunichi wanted to move Morino over to third next season which conflicted with Nori's demand of a starting gig. It's clear by the numbers Nori put up this season, and the fact that he won a Golden Glove, that he can still play everyday and could've easily taken over the cleanup spot in Chunichi's batting order. It was also my impression that Nakamura was a clubhouse leader of sorts and was well respected in the Chunichi locker room (if anyone has any info to the contrary on this, please inform me of it), and he was a fan favorite also.

The simple fact of the matter is that Nakamura offers more than Woods does at this point in each of their careers, and I believe that the team, while losing both Nakamura's and Woods's offense of course, stands to lose more from letting Nakamura walk as a free agent.

Nakamura, I feel, will greatly improve a Rakuten team that needs help and could make them a "dark horse" for a playoff spot next season.

Woods clearly has something left in the proverbial tank and is a perfect DH candidate for a Pacific League team at this point in his career I feel. Why there has been almost next to no interest in him is beyond me, and I would highly suggest that Seibu take a long hard look at him to replace Craig Brazell. Could you imagine the offensive potential of Woods and "Okawaki" Nakamura? Yikes! The only problem with that scenario, however, is where to put Woods in that Seibu lineup.
[ Author: Guest | Posted: Dec 3, 2008 2:32 PM ]

There are rumors going around that the Tigers are interested in Tyrone. He would be an excellent fit there and they should give a chance to get him.
[ Author: Guest: guest | Posted: Dec 3, 2008 2:30 PM ]

There are rumors going around that the Tigers are interested in Woods. And to be honest, he would do extremely well there.
[ Author: No.1BayFan | Posted: Dec 4, 2008 11:58 AM | YOK Fan ]

Ummmm what? Where are you getting these rumors from? While, I can see why Woods would generate interest to Hanshin because of his offense, why would would Hanshin want to add another aging veteran to its already aging roster? Not to mention the fact that Hanshin already has a superb first baseman penciled into the everyday lineup named Arai.
[ Author: Christopher | Posted: Dec 4, 2008 12:37 PM | HAN Fan ]

The problem is where to put him given his cost and obvious decline. He may fit in as a number six batter, but three, four, and five are sewn up. He will not go in at four - that is impossible. He would also have to be at first base or in left field. Left is sewn up - no way Woods would be the Tigers' left fielder. First is also spoken for. If Arai is not ready it will be Imaoka, Katsuragi, or Takahashi (the latter two have just received pay rises - they are going to be used). Woods is in a similar situation Kiyohara was - the Tigers don't need him.
[ Author: Guest: N26 | Posted: Dec 4, 2008 6:19 PM ]

6-oku is a lot of money for an aging slugger. If Woods is willing to take a pay cut he probably has one or two seasons still left in him for some PL team as a DH.

The Marines got rid off Zuleta who was terrible this season, so the 1B/Dh spot is open, but I doubt the Marines are interested in him.

The Giants have a problem at 1B with Lee, who has been anything but impressive this past season. But then again, Lee is an expensive player. If they get rid off Lee then Giants could give Woods an offer, but I think Hara-kantoku is holding on to Lee.

It is doubtful Hanshin will be giving Woods an offer. Hanshin already has enough people at the 1B spot, including Arai. However, one of Hanshin's weaknesses is the lack of home runs in their line up, and Woods could probably give them a boost here.
About

This is a site about Pro Yakyu (Japanese Baseball), not about who the next player to go over to MLB is. It's a community of Pro Yakyu fans who have come together to share their knowledge and opinions with the world. It's a place to follow teams and individuals playing baseball in Japan (and Asia), and to learn about Japanese (and Asian) culture through baseball.

It is my sincere hope that once you learn a bit about what we're about here that you will join the community of contributors.

Michael Westbay
(aka westbaystars)
Founder

Search for Pro Yakyu news and information
Copyright (c) 1995-2024 JapaneseBaseball.com.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons License.
Some rights reserved.