Adjust Font Size: A A       Guest settings   Register

Koji Uehara at NPB Tracker

Discussion in the Open Talk forum
Koji Uehara at NPB Tracker
NPB Tracker has a good run down on the 33 year old Yomiuri Giants right handed pitcher Koji Uehara who announced in early April that he was going to the major leagues next season.

[Full Article: http://jhockey.wordpress.com/2008/06/24/koji-uehara-at-npb-tracker/]
Comments
Re: Koji Uehara at NPB Tracker
[ Author: Guest: gotigersredsox | Posted: Jun 26, 2008 4:10 PM ]

Is Uehara still on the 2-gun? Any predictions on whether he can succeed overseas? Like Igawa, I think he lacks the mental toughness.
[ Author: westbaystars | Posted: Jun 26, 2008 5:04 PM | YBS Fan ]

Uehara threw in front of Hara-kantoku on Wednesday (June 25), with Hara-kantoku liking what he saw. Uehara is expected to return to the top team for the upcoming series against Hiroshima starting tomorrow (June 27).

Source: Nikkan Sports (June 26 - paper version)
[ Author: Guest: Gary Garland | Posted: Jun 29, 2008 12:49 PM ]

At 33, Uehara looks like he may be headed to the baseball equivalent of the elephant's graveyard. His batting average against is .333 and he has given up 40 hits in 29.2 innings and has more runs given up (all earned) than strikeouts.

All that and health concerns have got to give any MLB GM pause. I would pass on him (and I love this guy, but...).

However, if I was indeed going to sign him, it would have to be heavily predicated on incentives with a base of about $2 million tops. But then again, the pitching market is so ridiculous right now that he will probably get twice or three times that.

Save your cash for Hitoki Iwase GMs.
About

This is a site about Pro Yakyu (Japanese Baseball), not about who the next player to go over to MLB is. It's a community of Pro Yakyu fans who have come together to share their knowledge and opinions with the world. It's a place to follow teams and individuals playing baseball in Japan (and Asia), and to learn about Japanese (and Asian) culture through baseball.

It is my sincere hope that once you learn a bit about what we're about here that you will join the community of contributors.

Michael Westbay
(aka westbaystars)
Founder

Search for Pro Yakyu news and information
Copyright (c) 1995-2024 JapaneseBaseball.com.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons License.
Some rights reserved.