Adjust Font Size: A A       Guest settings   Register

Coaching or Playing in Japan

Discussion in the Open Talk forum
Coaching or Playing in Japan
I am an English teacher and a baseball coach in southern California, and I would like to go to Japan to learn the Japanese way of playing. Can anyone direct me to an exchange program, or something of the sort? Thank you.
Comments
Re: Coaching or Playing in Japan
[ Author: westbaystars | Posted: Jun 12, 2003 10:55 PM | YBS Fan ]

Sorry for the late reply. I'm just now getting to a lot of questions from before my move. (Still need to get to a three week back-log of e-mail.)

Your best bet would be to contact a university in your area about exchange programs. I'm pretty sure that they're available for teachers as well as students.

Having been an exchange student from SDSU to Yokohama National University myself, I've got to say that the exchange programs are an excellent way to learn about a foreign culture and, most importantly, how to communicate in a foreign language. I had three years of Japanese language before going, but really learned how to speak that one year at Koku-dai.

My focus was computer science in Japanese, and in a sink or swim environment, that's what I learned.

I don't know if you'll be able to find a coaching position through an exchange program, but the programs are pretty flexible. For example, the exchange program between SDSU and Yokohama Koku-dai is (was) really through the College of Arts and Letters in San Diego and the Kyoiku-bu (Department of Education) on the Yokohama side. But I was able to take classes in the Kougaku-bu (Engineering Department) despite being in the College of Sciences.

If you're thinking of contacting a team directly and perhaps working with them, please read the FAQ for team contact information.

Gambatte Kudasai.
About

This is a site about Pro Yakyu (Japanese Baseball), not about who the next player to go over to MLB is. It's a community of Pro Yakyu fans who have come together to share their knowledge and opinions with the world. It's a place to follow teams and individuals playing baseball in Japan (and Asia), and to learn about Japanese (and Asian) culture through baseball.

It is my sincere hope that once you learn a bit about what we're about here that you will join the community of contributors.

Michael Westbay
(aka westbaystars)
Founder

Search for Pro Yakyu news and information
Copyright (c) 1995-2024 JapaneseBaseball.com.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons License.
Some rights reserved.