Adjust Font Size: A A       Guest settings   Register

2006 Central League Predictions

Discussion in the Open Talk forum
2006 Central League Predictions
Anyone got predictions for 2006 Central League Standings?

Mine are as follows:

1. Tigers (hate to say this)
2. Dragons
3. Swallows/Giants
5. BayStars
6. Cr*p (my bad, meant Carp, typo error, no spell check on these posts)

I think this will be an exciting season, with two teams, Giants and Swallows, having significantly improved themselves in the off-season. I will be interested to see if the Dragons can return to their pre-inter-league ways of last season and the year before. I think Ochiai is great. I especially like it when his pitcher is getting bombed and he smiles as though he's very amused.

Been here seven years now and get more excited for Central League Opening Day every year, although I miss the days when the Giants were at least contenders. Should be an exciting season, and at least there may be some excitement again when the Giants and Tigers hook up.
Comments
Re: 2006 Central League Predictions
[ Author: Yakulto | Posted: Mar 31, 2006 11:13 PM | TYS Fan ]

After returning from Yakult's 4-3 win over Hanshin, my (slightly biased) predictions for the season are:

1 - Tokyo Yakult Swallows
2 - Yomiuri Giants
3 - Hanshin Tigers
4 - Chunichi Dragons
5 - Yokohama BayStars
6 - Hiroshima Carp

I think IF Yakult can play to their potential (and indeed stay relatively injury free), with the pitching (starting, relief, and closing) and batting we have, then no one should be able to touch us. However that is a big IF.

My prediction for Yomiuri is based on nothing more than a hunch, but I truly hope they can replicate last years poor showing.
[ Author: Guest: John Brooks | Posted: Apr 1, 2006 4:11 AM ]

I still have to go with Hanshin as the league favorites:

1. Hanshin Tigers
2. Tokyo Yakult Swallows
3. Yomiuri Giants
4. Chunichi Dragons
5. Yokohama BayStars
6. Hiroshima Toyo Carp
[ Author: Deanna | Posted: Apr 1, 2006 3:15 PM | NIP Fan ]

I agree that Yakult could really put it together this year, and it'd be so awesome for Furuta, too.

1. Swallows
2. Dragons
3. Tigers
4. Carp
5. Giants
6. BayStars

(okay, a little wishful thinking there)
[ Author: Christopher | Posted: Apr 2, 2006 8:00 PM | HAN Fan ]

Having seen several teams in action I would say

1. Tigers
2. Dragons
3/4. Giants/Swallows
5. BayStars
6. Carp
[ Author: fukudome1 | Posted: Apr 4, 2006 3:40 AM | CD Fan ]

I see minimium one game of all central teams, and my predictions are:

1. Swallows
2. Dragons
3. Giants
4. Tigers
5. Baystars
6. Carps
[ Author: Guest | Posted: Apr 5, 2006 2:55 AM ]

I think Giants will be very strong this year. Here my predictions:

1 Giants
2 Swallows
3 Dragons
4 Tigers
5 Baystars
6 Carps
[ Author: Guest | Posted: Apr 5, 2006 7:28 AM ]

1.Carp

tied for last(or 2nd,depending on how you look at it)- Tigers,Giants,Swallows,BayStars and Dragons

[ Author: Guest: mariner | Posted: Apr 5, 2006 11:25 PM ]

a little optimistic, aren't we?
[ Author: Guest | Posted: Apr 6, 2006 12:48 AM ]

arent you guys supposed to do predictions BEFORE the start of the season?
[ Author: westbaystars | Posted: Apr 6, 2006 8:20 AM | YBS Fan ]

The WBC turned out to be a huge distraction to pre-season anything. That ended then suddenly the season began before we knew it. So predictions coming in over the first couple of weeks aren't such a bad thing.
[ Author: Guest | Posted: Apr 6, 2006 3:33 PM ]

I am actually dreaming , but that's the beauty of a new season.
[ Author: Guest | Posted: Apr 11, 2006 6:30 AM ]

Here is what I think

1. Tigers
2. Swallows
3. Giants
4. Dragons
5. Carp
6. Baystars
[ Author: Guest: tony dragons fan | Posted: Apr 13, 2006 12:18 PM ]

Off to Koshien today, hopefully will be something like yesterday. See you there or in Matsuyama this weekend.

Now for the biased predictions. This is what I thought before the season started.

1 - Dragons
2 - Swallows
3 - Tigers
4 - Baystars
5 - Giants
6 - Carp

On reflection, maybe i'm being too harsh on the Giants in light of their great start, but I still can't see their pitching holding up through the season - only 2 starters (Uehara and Powell) will do ok, and the relief doesn't look sufficient, even with Toyoda.
Swallows - Strong in all areas, but, though we all love him, Furuta will need some time, and that could be their major problem. Swallows pennant in 2007, may I suggest.
Dragons - Ochiai finally seems to have got the lineup correct (glad he did it in April this year, not September - Talking about Fukudome batting above Woods in the order). Not overly concerned that the batters haven't been producing yet, they will come good. It's all about pitching - Quite a solid start to the season, but i'm not quite sure whats going on with the starting rotation. When guys like Ishii and Nakazato are thrown into the starting rotation we will have an idea of how the dragons will fare this year.
About

This is a site about Pro Yakyu (Japanese Baseball), not about who the next player to go over to MLB is. It's a community of Pro Yakyu fans who have come together to share their knowledge and opinions with the world. It's a place to follow teams and individuals playing baseball in Japan (and Asia), and to learn about Japanese (and Asian) culture through baseball.

It is my sincere hope that once you learn a bit about what we're about here that you will join the community of contributors.

Michael Westbay
(aka westbaystars)
Founder

Search for Pro Yakyu news and information
Copyright (c) 1995-2024 JapaneseBaseball.com.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons License.
Some rights reserved.