Adjust Font Size: A A       Guest settings   Register

Marines Host First Pitch Event

Discussion in the NPB News forum
Marines Host First Pitch Event
The Chiba Lotte Marines hosted a "First Pitch" event to welcome the new year, opening up Chiba Marine Stadium to close to 10,000 fans, children and adults alike, on January 2. The event allowed the fans to come onto the field and play catch. Setoyama-club president said, "I'm glad that a lot of people were able to come out and have a good time."

This event was setup to make up for the lack of fan interaction during the "Marines Fan Fest 2006" on November 12, which received a great deal of criticism by Valentine-kantoku.

Source: Nikkan Sports [2007-01-03 8:33 - in Japanese]

There was no mention in the article if any of the players were at this event or not. It looks like this was just a stadium open house where fans could play catch where the pros do. But I still don't see any player-fan interaction. Lotte prides itself as being top-class for fan service. While playing catch on the field at Chiba Marine Stadium would be a great way to spend an afternoon, throwing a few balls to even retired players like Koichi Hori would make this a day to remember. Hint, hint.
About

This is a site about Pro Yakyu (Japanese Baseball), not about who the next player to go over to MLB is. It's a community of Pro Yakyu fans who have come together to share their knowledge and opinions with the world. It's a place to follow teams and individuals playing baseball in Japan (and Asia), and to learn about Japanese (and Asian) culture through baseball.

It is my sincere hope that once you learn a bit about what we're about here that you will join the community of contributors.

Michael Westbay
(aka westbaystars)
Founder

Search for Pro Yakyu news and information
Copyright (c) 1995-2024 JapaneseBaseball.com.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons License.
Some rights reserved.