Adjust Font Size: A A       Guest settings   Register

First American in Japan

Discussion in the Pro Yakyu History forum
First American in Japan
Can anyone tell me who was the first American player in Japan and what year(s) did he play?
Comments
Re: First American in Japan
[ Author: Jbroks86 | Posted: Oct 28, 2006 3:20 PM | SFT Fan ]

Harrison McGalliard was the first American and foreign player to play in the NPB during the 1936 season.
[ Author: Mischa | Posted: Oct 29, 2006 8:47 AM | TYS Fan ]

- Harrison McGalliard was the first American and foreign player to play in the NPB during the 1936 season.

Yoshio Takahashi and Herbert North also played in the first game ever, so three Americans at least go back to the origins.
[ Author: seiyu | Posted: Oct 31, 2006 4:06 AM ]

He was called "Bucky Harris" in Japan. I guess this is the start of the simplification of American names.
[ Author: Jbroks86 | Posted: Oct 31, 2006 11:08 AM | SFT Fan ]

Yeah, from what I understand the name "McGalliard" was too hard to pronounce for the Japanese public. Thus, McGalliard was called "Bucky Harris," not to be confused with former HOF manager and Washington Senators second baseman Bucky Harris.
[ Author: Guest: bkmckenna | Posted: Nov 29, 2006 2:25 PM ]

Didn't Jimmy Bonna, Kiyomi Hirakawa, Jimmy Horio, Kazuyoshi Matsuura, and Tadashi Wakabayashi also play in 1936? Wakabayashi first went to Japan in 1928.
[ Author: Brimsek | Posted: Jan 5, 2007 10:24 PM | HNHF Fan ]

I don't know about the others, but Wakabayashi did play in 1936 with the Tigers.
[ Author: Kiyoshi | Posted: Jan 6, 2007 1:51 AM | HAN Fan ]

I met George (Kazuyoshi) Matsuura's son in LA a few years ago. He mentioned that Harrison (aka Bucky Harris) McGalliard, Herb North, and Jimmy Bonna played in Japan in 1936. Most of these guys were scouted from the LA Nippons amateur team. McGalliard's daughter confirms this.

This info and more can be found in the Japanese Baseball Encyclopedia. Yes, Wakabayashi was in Japan prior to 1936.

George Matsuura's son showed me pictures of the happy times the players had in Japan. Most striking were the photos of their sad ship-side departures in 1939 as "war drums" were getting louder. The Japanese-American players had to decide to stay or leave while the other American players had no choice.
[ Author: Guest: RPearce | Posted: Jun 3, 2007 1:30 PM ]

Hi, just wanted to add a brief clarification to this old thread. Harrison McGalliard was actually Andrew "Bucky" Harris McGalliard and he was one of eight Americans to join the new professional Japanese league in 1936. Fumito "Jimmy" Horio had joined the professional Dai Nippon Tokyo Yakyu Kurabu (Tokyo Giants) which was founded in December of 1934 and toured in 1935 before the founding of the league in 1936. Bucky (the first Caucasian American) had a successful career, staying through the 1938 seasons.
[ Author: Guest: Lance Miccio | Posted: Dec 25, 2008 4:15 AM ]

I realize that this is an old thread, but I just need to add this.

This site is such a great source of information. Recently I interviewed William Kelly of Yale. He says that this is the best site about Yakyu history.
[ Author: Guest: Jim Leinen | Posted: Jul 28, 2016 8:12 AM ]

I realize that this is an old thread, but I just need to add this. Is this the same "Bucky Harris" that played with the 1931 Wichita (KS) Aviators?

[ Author: Guest | Posted: May 17, 2017 8:41 AM ]

[Reviving old thread.]

Is this the same "Bucky Harris" that played with the 1931 Wichita (KS) Aviators?

Did he play with "Woody" Jensen in Wichita?
About

This is a site about Pro Yakyu (Japanese Baseball), not about who the next player to go over to MLB is. It's a community of Pro Yakyu fans who have come together to share their knowledge and opinions with the world. It's a place to follow teams and individuals playing baseball in Japan (and Asia), and to learn about Japanese (and Asian) culture through baseball.

It is my sincere hope that once you learn a bit about what we're about here that you will join the community of contributors.

Michael Westbay
(aka westbaystars)
Founder

Search for Pro Yakyu news and information
Copyright (c) 1995-2024 JapaneseBaseball.com.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons License.
Some rights reserved.