Adjust Font Size: A A       Guest settings   Register

Japanese Playoffs

Discussion in the Ask the Commish forum
Japanese Playoffs
The NPB playoff system is brutal. Since BayStars are finally in the Climax Series, I'm learning that "homefield advantage" is for an entire series! Wow. If the BayStars take 3rd place they won't see a home playoff game until the Japan Series. Crazy.

We should play 1-1-1 format in first stage so the fans in Yokohama are assured of at least one playoff game at home. This really isn't a question, but an observation.

Any chance they would change in future?
Comments
Re: Japanese Playoffs
[ Author: westbaystars | Posted: Oct 22, 2016 5:16 PM | YBS Fan ]

Yikes. It's been a while since I'd checked the queue. Sorry about the long delay getting back to you.

Yes, the advantage is overwhelmingly in favor of the teams that finish the league higher. The thought is that it adds incentive to finish as well as you can rather than just settling with finishing in the top three.

And you didn't touch on the one win advantage that the team that wins the league gets on top of all potentially six games at home.

Yes, everything is stacked very much in favor of the teams that finish higher up. And that's the way the powers-that-be want it. I don't see that changing any time in the near future.
About

This is a site about Pro Yakyu (Japanese Baseball), not about who the next player to go over to MLB is. It's a community of Pro Yakyu fans who have come together to share their knowledge and opinions with the world. It's a place to follow teams and individuals playing baseball in Japan (and Asia), and to learn about Japanese (and Asian) culture through baseball.

It is my sincere hope that once you learn a bit about what we're about here that you will join the community of contributors.

Michael Westbay
(aka westbaystars)
Founder

Search for Pro Yakyu news and information
Copyright (c) 1995-2024 JapaneseBaseball.com.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons License.
Some rights reserved.