Adjust Font Size: A A       Guest settings   Register

Giants Financial Woes Article from Mainichi

Discussion in the Open Talk forum
Giants Financial Woes Article from Mainichi
The Mainichi Shimbun English website has an article featuring the current financial woes of the Giants. [Mountain of money woes dwarves once-mighty Giants - translated by Ryann Connell]

While there has already been a significant amount of discussion on the Giants decline into basement thread, I found the above article an interesting read. I think the article makes the situation seem more dire than it actually is though.

I found it weird though that there was no mention of broadcasting other teams, possibly even Pacific League games, instead of only the Giants. With both leagues having playoffs next year, maybe during the playoff drives TV stations can use those games for better ratings.
Comments
Re: Giants Financial Woes Article from Mainichi
[ Author: Something Lions | Posted: Sep 6, 2006 6:00 PM | SL Fan ]

"MDN Waiwai" is a collection of cheekily translated weekly tabloid articles which themselves are often quite embellished for effect, so you'd have to read it with a huge chunk of salt. But sometimes these very same tabloids do break news that scares mainstream media, so there's often fire at the foot of all that smoke.

If an NFL/NHL style revenue sharing model while partnering with the players association can ever be reached, that could cure a lot of things in NPB. It's an ideal economic model for a closed league like NPB. I doubt it'll happen any time soon though.
About

This is a site about Pro Yakyu (Japanese Baseball), not about who the next player to go over to MLB is. It's a community of Pro Yakyu fans who have come together to share their knowledge and opinions with the world. It's a place to follow teams and individuals playing baseball in Japan (and Asia), and to learn about Japanese (and Asian) culture through baseball.

It is my sincere hope that once you learn a bit about what we're about here that you will join the community of contributors.

Michael Westbay
(aka westbaystars)
Founder

Search for Pro Yakyu news and information
Copyright (c) 1995-2024 JapaneseBaseball.com.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons License.
Some rights reserved.