Adjust Font Size: A A       Guest settings   Register

Rhodes and Nakamura

Discussion in the Rumor Mill forum
Rhodes and Nakamura
I've heard through someone whose Japanese isn't so bad that the tabloids have been talking about Rhodes and Nakamura coming to Orix next season. Can anyone shed some light on this rumor?

[Editor's note: Original post stated that Rhodes was coming "back to" Orix, but he was with Nakamura at Kintetsu.]
Comments
Re: Rhodes and Nakamura
[ Author: westbaystars | Posted: Sep 10, 2005 10:30 PM | YBS Fan ]

I can confirm that Nikkan Sports has stated this a couple of times over the past couple of weeks. Ohgi-kantoku started to say that he wanted them both, but then fell back into "don't commit tampering" mode and followed up by saying that he couldn't say anything on the matter until after the season.

Soon after these rumors started, Nikkan Sports did publish an article stating that Nori plans to stick it out in North America another year.

So, yes, the sports papers aren't holding anything against Rhodes and are strongly speculating that he'll return to the Pacific League next season.
[ Author: Guest: Ed Kranepool | Posted: Sep 11, 2005 8:42 PM ]

Nakamura. Can you imagine the uproar if he actually did play for the Mets a few years back? It would have been very ugly.
[ Author: Christopher | Posted: Sep 20, 2005 12:42 PM | HAN Fan ]

Rhodes has also been linked to the Tigers. He may have to take a dip in salary though.
[ Author: Guest: John Brooks | Posted: Sep 21, 2005 10:32 AM ]

- Rhodes has also been linked to the Tigers.

That's an interesting twist. Though, like you said, he will have to take a dip in salary to play for Hanshin, and any other team I see next year.

If Hanshin is interested in Rhodes, and if Rhodes has a reasonable price, he might end up there. Though Orix and Rakuten are other candidates for signing Rhodes in my opinion.
[ Author: meanlife2000 | Posted: Sep 28, 2005 1:37 PM | HT Fan ]

Even if Rhodes comes to the Tigers, where where would fit in? Tigers (fans) would not compromise on the fielding area. It would be good for Rhodes if he signs with a PL team, they can afford a DH. So he can play or just hit.

Even if he comes, he would have to share a spot with Hiyama, Spencer, Nakamura, Hamanaka, etc. I'm not sure he can play first. If he can, then there is good chance.
[ Author: Something Lions | Posted: Sep 28, 2005 4:51 PM | SL Fan ]

If it does happen, they would be coming "back" to the Buffaloes, though it's now Orix. The merger's still too weird.
[ Author: Guest: Dylan | Posted: Feb 3, 2006 8:29 PM ]

Nakamura is now back with the Buffaloes. What about Tuffy Rhodes? Spring training has started. Is Orix going to sign him?
About

This is a site about Pro Yakyu (Japanese Baseball), not about who the next player to go over to MLB is. It's a community of Pro Yakyu fans who have come together to share their knowledge and opinions with the world. It's a place to follow teams and individuals playing baseball in Japan (and Asia), and to learn about Japanese (and Asian) culture through baseball.

It is my sincere hope that once you learn a bit about what we're about here that you will join the community of contributors.

Michael Westbay
(aka westbaystars)
Founder

Search for Pro Yakyu news and information
Copyright (c) 1995-2024 JapaneseBaseball.com.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons License.
Some rights reserved.