Adjust Font Size: A A       Guest settings   Register

Nippon Series: Giants shutout the Fighters 2-0 to take the Nippon Series in 6!

Discussion in the NPB News forum
Nippon Series: Giants shutout the Fighters 2-0 to take the Nippon Series in 6!
On 2009-11-7 Gen wrote:
Shun Tono had to leave the game after facing only 4 batters in the bottom of the first. And while things could have turned bad for the Giants, Tetsuya Utsumi did a great job in holding the Fighters off in an emergency relief appearance.

[Full Article: http://yakyubaka.com/2009/11/07/nippon-series-giants-shutout-the-fighters-2-0-to-take-the-nippon-series-in-6/]
Comments
Re: Nippon Series: Giants shutout the Fighters 2-0 to take the Nippon Series in 6!
[ Author: Jingu Bleacher Bum | Posted: Nov 9, 2009 12:19 PM | YAK Fan ]

I didn't see any other threads discussing the Nippon Series Game 6, so I'll just use this thread.

I have to say I was thoroughly disappointed with the lack of performance, and effort with Inaba and Tanaka, the Fighters #3 and #4 hitters. With a runner on 2nd and two strikes on you, at the very minimum, and I'm being gracious here, you have to at least swing the bat. I can understand a swinging strikeout, and I'm sorry if I offend any Fighters fans here, but in my opinion Inaba had one of the biggest chokes of a star player I've seen in a long time.

Not only did Inaba stand there looking at a third strike, but both times the third strike was in the middle of the darn plate! Even in little league baseball, we're taught to stop looking for "your" pitch, and to defend the plate. Nope, Inaba just stood there both times, obviously looking for "his" pitch, trying to be the big hero, when even simply advancing the runners would have been acceptable. Tanaka did the same thing right after Inaba, although once was the final out in which he got called out for not checking his swing on a fork ball.

I was pretty impressed with the Fighters pitching however, except the blown game 5, where all of the pitches from the closer were way too high in the strike zone.

As you can tell, I'm not too happy this year. This was the worst year in baseball for me, as both of my most hated teams won the championship, the Yankees and the Giants. Next year can't come early enough, but even then I'll constantly be hearing "Will the Giants/Yankees defend their titles?" all year long.
Re: Nippon Series: Giants shutout the Fighters 2-0 to take the Nippon Series in 6!
[ Author: Brad BT | Posted: Nov 11, 2009 12:33 AM | SEI Fan ]

Someone shoot me. As a Red Sox fan, I despise the Yankees. And although I don't hate the Giants, I don't like them either. Thank god it's hockey season now.

- Go Habs!
[ Author: Guest: gotigersredsox | Posted: Nov 11, 2009 10:24 AM ]

Exciting series, but also a nightmare year for me. It's a dark year for baseball when both the Yankees and Giants win. Maybe they should have a true World Series after all--the Yankees-vs-Giants in the "Best Team Money Can Buy Series."
About

This is a site about Pro Yakyu (Japanese Baseball), not about who the next player to go over to MLB is. It's a community of Pro Yakyu fans who have come together to share their knowledge and opinions with the world. It's a place to follow teams and individuals playing baseball in Japan (and Asia), and to learn about Japanese (and Asian) culture through baseball.

It is my sincere hope that once you learn a bit about what we're about here that you will join the community of contributors.

Michael Westbay
(aka westbaystars)
Founder

Search for Pro Yakyu news and information
Copyright (c) 1995-2024 JapaneseBaseball.com.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons License.
Some rights reserved.