Adjust Font Size: A A       Guest settings   Register

Pro Yakyu Game of the Week: 8/8

Discussion in the NPB News forum
Pro Yakyu Game of the Week: 8/8
The 86th nation high school summer baseball championships are now in full swing at Koshien. Yokohama High, located two train stops from where I live, is there for the 11th time, first in three years.

The Tigers, who have vacated Koshien for these future stars, will be at Tokyo Dome this evening for another epic matchup between the western vs. eastern rivals.

If anyone posts before 6:00 pm JST a preference for Yakult at Yokohama game, we'll do that one.

Join here as game time nears.
Comments
Re: Pro Yakyu Game of the Week: 8/8
[ Author: Guest: Flynn | Posted: Aug 8, 2004 3:13 PM ]

Giants!
[ Author: Guest: Tigers Baka | Posted: Aug 8, 2004 10:00 PM ]

Let's rename this "Capitulation of the Week." Or was that last night? A five-run lead blown last night, and a four-run lead lost tonight! Outrageous! Why was Yoshino introduced, and why is he even still in the bullpen? I'm surprised the scoreboard could fit his ERA on it its so high!

The buck lies with Okada. He has to go! Absolutely woeful. A series sweep was in the bag and they screwed it up. They also lost a lot of credibility!
[ Author: westbaystars | Posted: Aug 9, 2004 1:06 AM | YBS Fan ]

Wow! Another high scoring see-saw game. Cheering for either side, Hanshin or the Giants, you've got something to see here. The only draw back is I had some technical difficulty just as the game reached its climax. I'm looking into preventing that in the future.

TRANSCRIPT generated on 2004/08/08 21:54
CHATROOM Game of the Week/Hanshin Tigers vs. Yomiuri Giants
MODERATORS westbaystars

17:58 westbaystars - The public has spoken, we'll be doing the Tigers/Giants game tonight.
17:58 westbaystars - In the pre-game show, Tuffy Jr. was out on the field catching fly balls.
17:58 westbaystars - Tuffy Sr. was in the dugout having a good time, proud of his son's catching both flies.
17:58 westbaystars - ---
17:59 westbaystars - Top of First
17:59 westbaystars - ---
17:59 westbaystars - Satoh takes the mound for the Yomiuri Giants.
17:59 westbaystars - He'll face Imaoka, Sekimoto, and Tachikawa.
18:00 westbaystars - His first pitch is fouled off toward the third base coach's box for strike one.
18:00 westbaystars - The game is underway.
18:01 westbaystars - After working the count full, Imaoka takes ball four inside.
18:01 westbaystars - Hanshin has their lead-off runner on board.
18:02 westbaystars - That brings up Sekimoto.
18:04 westbaystars - Sekimoto lifts the ball to left, well within Shimizu's range, and we have one out.
18:04 westbaystars - That puts runners as first and second with one out.
18:04 westbaystars - Tachikawa follows grounding the ball through the right side of the infield for a base hit.
18:05 westbaystars - Clean up batter Kanemoto comes to the plate.
18:08 westbaystars - Kanemoto lines the ball just over a jumping Nioka at short.
18:08 westbaystars - Imaoka headed back to second before moving to third and holding.
18:08 westbaystars - Bases loaded, one out.
18:08 westbaystars - And a quick conference with the Giants' pitching coach on the mound.
18:08 westbaystars - That brings up Hiyama.
18:09 westbaystars - Satoh jumps out in front of Hiyama with two quick strikes.
18:09 westbaystars - Then a waste pitch way up high.
18:10 westbaystars - Hiyama drives the ball to the left field wall.
18:10 westbaystars - Shimizu goes back, and at the warning track, makes the catch.
18:11 westbaystars - No, he dropped the ball!
18:11 westbaystars - Shimizu dropped the ball!
18:11 westbaystars - One run is in, bases are still loaded.
18:11 westbaystars - Horiuchi is arguing that he dropped the ball as he went to throw it.
18:12 westbaystars - The replay from one angle supports that, from another angles doesn't.
18:12 westbaystars - I think that Horiuchi-kantoku has a legitimate complaint.
18:12 westbaystars - I think Shimizu had the ball, then dropped it when he went to throw it.
18:13 westbaystars - But the out count remains at one, with bases loaded.
18:13 westbaystars - Arias comes up to the plate.
18:13 westbaystars - He lifts a high fly ball to shallow left, called an infield fly as Nishi gets under it and makes the catch.
18:13 westbaystars - That's only the second out of the inning, bases still loaded.
18:14 westbaystars - Catcher Yano comes up.
18:14 westbaystars - Yano lifts a high fly ball to foul terriroty up the first base side.
18:14 westbaystars - Petagine gets under the ball, and makes the catch for the third out.
18:15 westbaystars - Hanshin had a big chance with that error, but settle for one.
18:15 westbaystars - ---
18:15 westbaystars - Bottom of First
18:15 westbaystars - ---
18:16 westbaystars - Hi, Mijow-san.
18:17 westbaystars - Hodes, younger brother of Yakult's pitcher, starts for Hanshin and throws a strike, up in the strike zone for ...
18:17 mijow - Hi, looks like I'm the only joining you at this point.
18:17 westbaystars - ... his first pitch of the game to Nishi.
18:17 westbaystars - This is the earliest anybody's joined that I remember.
18:18 mijow - Well it's not on TV...
18:18 westbaystars - The 2-2 pitch knockes Nishi down. That was awful close thi hitting a sholder.
18:18 westbaystars - The next pitch is lifted just left of the third base bag.
18:18 westbaystars - Sekimoto calls for it and makes the catch.
18:18 westbaystars - One out.
18:19 westbaystars - That brings up Suzuki, playing for Takahashi who is in Athens.
18:19 westbaystars - Suzuki lifts a fly ball to shallow center.
18:19 westbaystars - Three men run for it, but Tachikawa takes it in. Two outs.
18:20 westbaystars - That brings up big swinging Tuffy Rhodes, who gives Hodges' first pitch a full swing.
18:20 westbaystars - ... and miss.
18:21 westbaystars - Hodges misses with his next three offerings, however.
18:21 westbaystars - The next pitch is grounded up the right side.
18:21 westbaystars - Hodges covers first as Arias fields the ball and shoves to him.
18:21 westbaystars - But the ball is behind Hodges and he's pulled from the bag to make the catch. Safe!
18:22 westbaystars - Kokubo, hitting .524 in the last five games, comes up.
18:23 westbaystars - Kokubo grounds the ball up the middle for a base hit. The Giants have runners at first and second after two outs.
18:23 westbaystars - That brings up Petagine, who's hit home runs in each of his last five games.
18:25 westbaystars - Peta-chan also has RBIs in each of his last 11 games. The record is held by Bass at 13 consecutive games.
18:25 westbaystars - But he gets hit on the shin guard here, and the Giants have bases loaded.
18:25 westbaystars - Shimizu, given an error when he dropped the ball on what would have otherwise been a sacrifice fly ...
18:27 westbaystars - ... in the top of the inning steps in.
18:27 westbaystars - Hodges goes full count on Shimizu, with bases loaded and two out.
18:28 westbaystars - The payoff pitch is looped just over the second base bag.
18:28 westbaystars - Toritani dives for it, but it hits the base of his glove and falls to the ground.
18:28 westbaystars - One run is in.
18:29 westbaystars - And by the time Toritani gets up and ahold of the ball, a second run is in.
18:29 niibu_yaa - o ha
18:29 westbaystars - Gyakuten! The Giants take a 2-1 lead.
18:29 mijow - What an exciting game so far! Too bad it's not on TV here in Kansai.
18:30 westbaystars - Nishi follows with a fly out to Tachikawa in center to end the inning.
18:30 niibu_yaa - arigatou
18:30 westbaystars - But the Giants had a two out rally pay off on Shimizu's blooper "infield base hit."
18:31 westbaystars - Top of First
18:31 westbaystars - ---
18:31 niibu_yaa - Sorry to interupt...but why aren't the Hawks on tonight?
18:31 westbaystars - Toritani leads off with a line drive at Rhodes in center. One quick out.
18:31 westbaystars - That brings up Hodges.
18:32 westbaystars - Hawks are on J-Sports 3, which I don't get. I only get 1 and 2.
18:32 westbaystars - J-Sports 2 has the BayStars vs. Swallows.
18:32 westbaystars - Hodges grounds out to short.
18:32 westbaystars - Two quick outs.
18:32 westbaystars - Back to the top of the order in Imaoka.
18:33 westbaystars - Otherwise, I would have liked to do a Pacific League game.
18:33 mijow - The hawks are on SUN TV in Kobe - playing Orix
18:33 westbaystars - Would you like to cover it? I can open another session for it.
18:34 westbaystars - Imaoka lifts a fly ball to center, and the side is retired in order.
18:34 westbaystars - ---
18:34 westbaystars - Bottom of Second
18:34 westbaystars - ---
18:35 mijow - Ahh but the TV is in the other room
18:35 westbaystars - That's why I'll only buy notebook computers, and installed a WIFI access point.
18:36 westbaystars - Abe leads off the bottom of the second for the Giants.
18:36 niibu_yaa - Thanks....
18:36 westbaystars - I put the access point in the center of our house, between the first and second floors.
18:37 mijow - Hawks 3 BlueWave 0 bottom of the 1st
18:37 niibu_yaa - I would cover it but I can't get the Audio from it. So it's somewhat useless.
18:37 westbaystars - With the count full, Abe takes high and away, ball four.
18:37 westbaystars - The Giants have their lead-off runner on this inning.
18:38 westbaystars - That brings up pitcher Satoh.
18:38 niibu_yaa - Yah...thanks you are a little ahead of the KBC broadcast....but they are not doing it live for some reason tonight.
18:38 westbaystars - So, is that a "yes, I'd like to give it a try," or a "no, that's allright"?
18:39 niibu_yaa - Anyhow....thankyou. I've got an ex in Okinawa to cover the game for me.
18:39 mijow - Anyway Shiotani strikes out to end the 1st. Hawks still 3-0
18:39 niibu_yaa - No....that's alright.
18:39 westbaystars - Satoh tries bunting three times, fouling off three to go down on strikes.
18:39 westbaystars - Back to the top of the Giants' order in Nishi.
18:40 niibu_yaa - MichiKo gets confused with sports.
18:40 westbaystars - *** Yokohama has no score with Yakult batting in the top of the second.
18:42 westbaystars - *** Yokohama now comes to bat in the bottom of the second. No score.
18:43 westbaystars - Nishi lines the ball just to Arias' right and through to right field.
18:43 westbaystars - By the time the ball is tracked down by second baseman Imaoka in right, Abe is at third base.
18:43 westbaystars - The Giants are putting together another rally against Hodges.
18:44 westbaystars - Double play dept would be better with the middle infielders, with one out.
18:44 westbaystars - Suzuki is at the plate.
18:44 westbaystars - Meanwhile, Hodges is playing with the runners more than concentrating on the batter.
18:45 westbaystars - He throws to first. Then fakes a throw to third. Then another throw to first.
18:45 westbaystars - Finally, Hodges comes to the plate for a called strike one.
18:46 westbaystars - The next pitch has Nishi going. The throw to second is off line and not in time.
18:47 westbaystars - *** And in that time, Yokohama fails to score in their half of the second.
18:47 westbaystars - Suzuki grounds the ball toward second base.
18:47 westbaystars - Toritani, playing in, fields the ball, turns all the way around, throws home,
18:48 westbaystars - The one bounder is blocked by Yano, but he fails to make a tag. Home in.
18:48 mijow - No!
18:48 westbaystars - The infield comes in, not wanting to allow another run.
18:48 westbaystars - Ruled a fielder's choise.
18:49 westbaystars - On the first pitch to Rhodes, Suzuki swipes his 7th bag out of 7 tries.
18:49 westbaystars - Agains, runners at second and third, one out.
18:49 westbaystars - The Giants now lead 3-1.
18:50 mijow - Is Hodges too slow to come to the plate?
18:51 westbaystars - But the mighty Rhodes strikes out swinging at a 2-2 pitch on the outside part of the plate, maybe just outside.
18:51 westbaystars - That's the second out of the inning.
18:51 westbaystars - He is very slow coming to the plate. As I said, a half inning passed in Yokohama during that one batter.
18:53 Flynn - hola
18:54 westbaystars - Satoh got an insurance run on Suzuki's fielder's choice.
18:54 westbaystars - Kokubo strikes out swinging, and the side is retired.
18:54 westbaystars - At the end of two complete, the Giants take a 3-0 lead.
18:54 niibu_yaa - Ok back
18:54 westbaystars - ---
18:54 westbaystars - Top of Third
18:54 westbaystars - ---
18:54 mijow - *** Hawks 3 Bluewave 0 top of the 3rd, Hawks at bat
18:55 niibu_yaa - thanks Mijow
18:56 niibu_yaa - Nice to see Kokubo struggle.
18:56 westbaystars - Sekimoto leads off for Hanshin.
18:56 westbaystars - He lifts the ball high to right.
18:56 westbaystars - Suzuki comes in a few steps and makes the catch.
18:56 westbaystars - One out.
18:57 niibu_yaa - Sorry to change gears Westbay sama....demo when does Arakaki start for my beloved Haks?
18:57 westbaystars - He lifts the ball to left.
18:57 westbaystars - Shimizu makes sure he fields the ball, closing his mit all the way before taking it out to throw it.
18:57 westbaystars - Two outs.
18:57 westbaystars - Kokubo has been very hot of late. I wouldn't count on him struggling too long.
18:58 westbaystars - Kanemoto grounds out to second, and Hanshin is retired in order again.
18:59 niibu_yaa - Yeah....I've been taking account of his play....and I see him coming out soon.
18:59 mijow - *** At Kobe, Iguchi singles to put runners at first and second for the Hawks, nobody out
18:59 westbaystars - I'll need to look through some box scores for Arakaki's last start. Just a sec on that.
18:59 westbaystars - ---
18:59 niibu_yaa - Not that he has done poorly as of late.
18:59 westbaystars - Bottom of Third
18:59 westbaystars - ---
18:59 niibu_yaa - Thank God for TBS
19:00 niibu_yaa - arigatou....
19:00 westbaystars - Petagine leads off for the Giants.
19:01 westbaystars - He hits a line drive over the second base bag an to Tachikawa on a few bounds.
19:01 westbaystars - The Giants have their lead-off runner on again.
19:01 niibu_yaa - is this on Yahoo BB...if not where? I'd like to follow along.
19:01 westbaystars - That'll bring up Shimizu.
19:02 westbaystars - You won't believe this.
19:02 westbaystars - Shimizu lines the ball, looking like a clean hit to left.
19:02 mijow - *** Miyaji singles in two runs. Hawks 5 BlueWave 0
19:03 westbaystars - He recovers, then throws to second as Petagine was leaning back toward first.
19:03 westbaystars - But he throws the ball too high, and Petagine reaches second while Imaoka goes scrambling for the ball that he just ...
19:03 westbaystars - ... barely tipiped.
19:03 westbaystars - All runners are safe.
19:04 westbaystars - Toritani's not haveing a good game.
19:04 westbaystars - Nioka comes to the plate.
19:04 niibu_yaa - Sugoi!!!!!!!! arigatou Mijowsama.....
19:04 mijow - It's now on YTV, so I'll be leaving you all for a while.
19:04 westbaystars - Hodges walks Nioka on five pitches.
19:04 mijow - Giants/Tigers that is.
19:04 niibu_yaa - Imaoka is tough....
19:04 westbaystars - Now Hanshin's pitching coach is going out to the mound with the team interpreter.
19:05 westbaystars - The announcers say that Hodges is afraid to throw his "straight."
19:05 niibu_yaa - If I were to make my all Nippon team I'd certainly include him.
19:05 westbaystars - See you again at 9:24?
19:06 Flynn - his change?
19:06 niibu_yaa - that makes sense
19:06 westbaystars - Abe comes up to bat.
19:06 mijow - I'll be back at around 8:00, as my wife will watch the NHK drama!
19:06 westbaystars - +++ Arakaki last threw on August 3 at Sendai.
19:07 niibu_yaa - you taking some time off Westbaysama?
19:07 westbaystars - +++ So he'll either throw tomorrow or Tuesday.
19:07 niibu_yaa - sou desu ne...na no NHK dorama desu?
19:08 westbaystars - And that's all they get.
19:08 westbaystars - Abe grounds the ball weakly to third.
19:08 niibu_yaa - I can try to take over from here....any IDea where I can listen to this game?
19:09 westbaystars - But didn't get anything I wanted done as far as this site's conerned.
19:09 westbaystars - Changes will have to wait until the off season.
19:09 Flynn - the Giants?
19:10 westbaystars - Satoh comes to bat.
19:10 westbaystars - Satoh grounds the ball to Arias at first.
19:10 niibu_yaa - yeah flynn...are you listening to this game online?
19:10 westbaystars - Arias fires home for one, and the throw back to first is in time, double play!
19:10 westbaystars - Hodges got out of that pitch.
19:11 Flynn - yes I am
19:11 Flynn - http://sports.yahoo.co.jp/baseball/radio/jolf
19:11 westbaystars - There was some talk about on-line games last week.
19:11 westbaystars - ---
19:12 niibu_yaa - ah..westbay.....Tadano-sama knows of your site.
19:12 westbaystars - ---
19:12 westbaystars - Oh?
19:13 westbaystars - Top of Fourth
19:13 niibu_yaa - Well...at least that is what he said in the 20 seconds I talked to him getting his signature at the last Cleveland Detr
19:13 westbaystars - ---
19:13 westbaystars - Hiyama leads off for the Giants.
19:14 westbaystars - Hiyama goes deep.
19:14 westbaystars - But not deep enough. Rhodes has the ball on the warning track in straight away center.
19:14 westbaystars - One out.
19:15 niibu_yaa - Well he gave me the....ah.....wakarimashita...answer....so who knows.
19:16 westbaystars - Ah, now I understand the "taking time off" question. No. I figured Mijow-san would be back when the game cut off ...
19:17 westbaystars - That brings up Yano.
19:18 niibu_yaa - Ah..ok gotcha...I thought you were done with todays broadcast for some reason.
19:18 westbaystars - ... at 9:24.
19:18 westbaystars - Ah, wakarimashita.
19:18 westbaystars - Arias flyes out to Rhodes in the left-center alley. Two quick outs.
19:18 westbaystars - Yano goes deep. No doubt about this one.
19:19 westbaystars - Haittaaaaaaa.
19:19 westbaystars - Deep into the yellow oen-dan in left.
19:19 westbaystars - Satoh has an ERA of 1.59 in five games against Hanshin.
19:19 westbaystars - The Tigers finally break through with a run.
19:20 westbaystars - That brings up Toritani, perhaps not quite ready for ichi-gun.
19:20 niibu_yaa - Ah....Rod Allen (Toyo Carp 1989-91) spoke of a large group of Japanese players possibly coming out this season with
19:21 westbaystars - Toritani grounds the ball right to Nishi at second, and the side is retired.
19:21 niibu_yaa - NPB's troubles as of late. Any thoughts on that.
19:21 westbaystars - But Hanshin finally managed a run on Yano's home run.
19:21 westbaystars - Going to the bottom of the Fourth, they now trail by two, 1-3.
19:22 westbaystars - ---
19:22 westbaystars - Bottom of Fourth
19:22 westbaystars - ---
19:22 niibu_yaa - Ah....in case you weren't aware Rod Allen is Detroit's Terebi game announcer.
19:23 westbaystars - The Players Association is trying to push things.
19:24 westbaystars - If I understand correctly, there's talk about holding the Bu/BW merger due to anti-monopoly laws.
19:24 niibu_yaa - Yeah....it's a difficult time for baseball right now.
19:24 westbaystars - But don't quote me on that. I don't understand a lot of that business Japanese.
19:24 westbaystars - Nishi walks to lead off the fourth.
19:24 niibu_yaa - With america out of the Olympics........and Japan moved forward.....it's hard to know what will happen.
19:24 westbaystars - That the third time in a row that the lead-off runner is on board.
19:25 westbaystars - Today's Nikkan Sports says that Daiei is looking to buy 51% of Lotte.
19:25 niibu_yaa - My personal thoughts are that the NPB league should join with the KBO....Korean Baseball.
19:25 westbaystars - They're looking to be a double franchise, mainly in Fukuoka, with some games in Chiba.
19:26 westbaystars - Suzuki lines the ball to left.
19:26 westbaystars - It's a long run for Tachikawa, who just gets to the ball for the out.
19:26 niibu_yaa - Hon to sa........Daiei 51%?
19:26 westbaystars - The throw back to first is wide, but too late to get Nishi anyway.
19:27 westbaystars - That brings up Rhodes who lines the first pitch to center.
19:27 westbaystars - Nishi kicks second and heads to third while Tachikawa is fielding the ball.
19:27 westbaystars - The throw to third hits Nishi in the back.
19:27 westbaystars - Runneers at second and third, one out.
19:28 westbaystars - Kokubo at the plate.
19:28 westbaystars - That's the headline on page 2. Daiei and Lotte in merger talks.
19:28 westbaystars - Kokubo gives the ball a ride to center.
19:28 westbaystars - The fans are on their feet.
19:28 westbaystars - And Rhodes takes second while Sekigawa gets the ball.
19:29 westbaystars - But Tachikawa has the ball at the warning track for the second out of the inning.
19:29 westbaystars - Still plenty far enough for Nishi to score from third.
19:29 westbaystars - Rhodes holds at second as the Giants take a 4-2 lead.
19:29 westbaystars - 4-2?
19:30 niibu_yaa - I can see Kokoubo Coming up here....
19:30 Flynn - Man, this commentator has a heart attack everytime a Giant hits a long flyball
19:30 westbaystars - I forgot about that in the last half inning recap.
19:31 westbaystars - That brings up Petagine.
19:31 Flynn - btw what is up with the obscene prices for merchandise? A jersey on the Giants website is about US$370
19:31 niibu_yaa - UNNNNNNNNNNNN
19:31 Flynn - there was an American website selling jerseys and their prices were even more ridiculous
19:31 westbaystars - With the count full, Petagine takes ball four.
19:32 niibu_yaa - Hai.......the Japanese announcers are more involved in the game than the american counterparts.
19:32 westbaystars - That puts runners at first and second, two outs, Shimizu at the plate.
19:33 westbaystars - Rhodes kicks third and heads home.
19:33 westbaystars - Shimizu grounds the ball past Imaoka at second into right field.
19:33 westbaystars - Giants take a 5-2 lead.
19:33 niibu_yaa - That's true Flynn
19:33 westbaystars - 3-man yen sounds kind of high.
19:33 westbaystars - Nioka comes up next.
19:34 Flynn - It was insane, I was going to plop for an Abe jersey but my god I can't afford that
19:34 westbaystars - Hodges has surpassed 100 pitches.
19:34 niibu_yaa - If you really want to get a Jersey from a Japanese team it will always be cheaper from that teams site.
19:34 Flynn - even the hats were like 70 dollars
19:35 westbaystars - His 101st is lifted to left, but Tachikawa comes over and makes the catch to end the inning.
19:35 Flynn - it has to be tariffs doesn't it?
19:35 niibu_yaa - How much longer do you tink he'll stay westbay sama
19:36 Flynn - http://www.sportsjapan.com/giants.htm
19:36 westbaystars - Top of Fifth
19:36 westbaystars - ---
19:36 westbaystars - ---
19:36 westbaystars - Hodges is scheduled to bat first this inning, so I'd guess he's gone.
19:37 westbaystars - *** Yokohama took a 1-0 lead on Tamura's home run.
19:37 niibu_yaa - Right
19:38 niibu_yaa - a change
19:39 westbaystars - Akahoshi is the pinch hitter for Hodges.
19:39 westbaystars - Akahoshi slaps the ball over Kokubo's head.
19:39 niibu_yaa - nooo.........they're giving a present???
19:39 westbaystars - The ball doesn't go far, but Akahoshi tries for second.
19:40 westbaystars - Nioka throws to second.
19:40 westbaystars - Safe!
19:40 westbaystars - Wow, that was close. The replay shows the call was a good one, which I wasn't sure of at first.
19:41 westbaystars - That brings up the top of the order in Imaoka.
19:42 westbaystars - Imaoka fouls out to Petagine, right next to the fense.
19:42 westbaystars - One out.
19:42 westbaystars - Sekimoto comes up to bat.
19:44 westbaystars - Marketing goods is admittedly, a very weak spot for the ball clubs.
19:44 Flynn - Marketing anything seems to be a weak spot
19:45 westbaystars - But then, I'm not much into marketing, sales, or business in general, so don't take that as sound advice.
19:46 westbaystars - That'll bring up Tachikawa.
19:46 westbaystars - Sekimoto draws a walk. The first off of Satoh this evening, I believe.
19:46 Flynn - Well, between the lack of availability of merchandise, audio/video, and reaching out to overseas fans....
19:47 Flynn - if it walks like a duck, quacks like a duck..it's probably a duck
19:48 westbaystars - This game is now even.
19:48 westbaystars - Three run do-ten home run.
19:48 westbaystars - At 5-5.
19:48 mijow - How about that eh?
19:48 Flynn - I noticed
19:49 westbaystars - That brings up Kanemoto who swings too big at the first pitch for strike one.
19:49 westbaystars - Kanemoto lifts the ball to right center.
19:49 mijow - Just thought I'd join you guys briefly...
19:49 westbaystars - Rhodes is over, and take it in for out number two.
19:50 westbaystars - To gloat?
19:50 westbaystars - That brings up Hiyama.
19:50 westbaystars - Tachikawa swings, looks, haittaaaaaaaa.
19:50 westbaystars - Now, is that a nice thing to do? (As I say to my kids too often.)
19:50 westbaystars - Hiyama goes deep.
19:50 westbaystars - Looks up.
19:50 westbaystars - Suzuki goes over.
19:50 mijow - yep, and Hiyama puts them ahead!!
19:50 westbaystars - Haitta. Gyakuten home run.
19:51 westbaystars - Hanshin takes a 6-5 lead.
19:51 westbaystars - Satoh looks like he can't believe what's happening to him.
19:52 westbaystars - That brings up Arias.
19:53 westbaystars - Hayashi is up in the Giants' bullpen.
19:53 westbaystars - The full count pitch is lifted high, foul and behind the first base bag.
19:54 westbaystars - Petagine has this one easilly, and the side is retired.
19:54 westbaystars - But not before a pair of home runs turn this game around, giving Hanshin a 6-5 lead.
19:55 westbaystars - ---
19:55 westbaystars - Bottom of Fifth
19:55 westbaystars - ---
19:57 Flynn - the prices for these Giants caps are just insane, 70 bucks from their own website
19:57 westbaystars - Satoh is in the dugout with a towel over his head, looking quite grim.
19:57 westbaystars - Fujikawa takes the mound for Hanshin, and his first pitch to Abe is low and away, ball one.
19:59 westbaystars - 5,000 - 6,000 yen sounds kind of high as well.
19:59 westbaystars - I haven't looked for such goods in a long time, but these prices don't sound right.
20:00 westbaystars - Canadian dollars?
20:01 westbaystars - Abe grounds the ball back up the middle, through Fujikawa's legs, off the second base bag, and into center field.
20:01 Flynn - no, yen/us dollar, done from the exchange rates
20:01 westbaystars - The Giants have their lead-off runner on base again. That makes every inning but the first.
20:02 westbaystars - Pinch hitter Saitoh hits for Satoh.
20:03 westbaystars - Saitoh watches strike three go by for the first out of the inning.
20:04 westbaystars - The last time I checked, the rate was something like 110 yen per USD.
20:07 westbaystars - Nishi grounds a 2-2 pitch to Sekikawa at third.
20:07 westbaystars - Sorry, Sekimoto (how many times have I said that?).
20:08 westbaystars - Sekimoto throws to second for one, the relay to first ...
20:08 westbaystars - ... is in time. That retires the side.
20:08 westbaystars - ---
20:08 westbaystars - Top of Fifth
20:09 westbaystars - Top of Sixth
20:09 westbaystars - ---
20:09 westbaystars - Nakamura comes on to pitch for the Giants.
20:12 westbaystars - One out.
20:12 westbaystars - Yano leads off grounding out to Nishi at second.
20:12 westbaystars - That brings up rookie Toritani.
20:13 westbaystars - He's been hitting .385 in the last five games, so perhaps I've been a little harsh on him so far this game.
20:14 westbaystars - Toritani also grounds out to Nishi. Two down.
20:14 westbaystars - That brings up Akahoshi, who stayed in the game after pinch hitting last inning.
20:15 westbaystars - He lines the ball right at Nishi, and the Tigers are down in order. Again.
20:15 westbaystars - ---
20:15 westbaystars - Bottom of Sixth
20:16 westbaystars - ---
20:16 westbaystars - Yet, at the end of six complete, Hanshin retains a 6-5 lead.
20:16 westbaystars - Not six complete. Middle of sixth.
20:16 Flynn - it;s 7875 yen for a cap
20:17 westbaystars - *** Yokohama continues to lead 1-0 after seven complete.
20:17 westbaystars - Suzuki leads off for the Giants.
20:19 westbaystars - Following the link shown on TV, you can get Giant highlights here: http://www.ntv.co.jp/base2004/
20:19 westbaystars - I haven't tried it, but it appears to be video clips.
20:20 westbaystars - Suzuki grounds out to third for out number one.
20:21 westbaystars - The first time since the first that the lead-off Giant hasn't reached base.
20:21 westbaystars - That brings up 2 for 3 Rhodes.
20:24 westbaystars - Rhodes swings out on a high fastball. Two down.
20:24 westbaystars - Kokubo comes up to the plate.
20:24 westbaystars - BayStars' new summer jersey is only 3,500 yen. http://www.rakuten.co.jp/thebaystars/260271/
20:25 westbaystars - Kokubo goes deep.
20:25 mijow - Flynn, those Giants authentic caps are cheaper than the other teams'.
20:25 westbaystars - Tachikawa goes back to the warning track, trips,
20:26 westbaystars - The Giants go down quietly in the sixth.
20:26 westbaystars - At the end of six complete, Hanshin continues to lead 6-5.
20:26 westbaystars - ---
20:26 westbaystars - Top of Seventh
20:27 westbaystars - ---
20:27 westbaystars - Corey comes in to pitch for the Giants this inning.
20:29 westbaystars - Imaoka gives the ball a ride, but right to Shimizu in left. One out.
20:30 westbaystars - Wow, you aren7t kidding. BayStars' cap for 12,000 yen: http://www.rakuten.co.jp/thebaystars/105045/105543/
20:31 mijow - And I think the Tigers cap costs even more. It used to anyway.
20:31 westbaystars - Sekimoto raps out a base hit up the middle.
20:31 Flynn - 12.000 yen? How do they expect anybody to buy those?
20:32 westbaystars - Kataoka comes in to pinch hit for the pitcher in the number three slot in the order.
20:32 westbaystars - I don't know. But people do. Or they buy the cheaper replicas.
20:33 westbaystars - Kataoka is 2 for 8 as a pinch hitter this year.
20:33 westbaystars - He lifts the ball to left.
20:33 westbaystars - It's a long run for Shimizu.
20:34 westbaystars - But he gets over in time to make the catch. Two outs, runner at first.
20:34 westbaystars - That brings up Kanemoto.
20:34 Flynn2 - grr
20:34 westbaystars - Hi Habs-san. Hanshin leads 6-5 thanks to a pair of home runs.
20:35 westbaystars - The Giants haven't utilized the long ball yet this evening.
20:35 westbaystars - Kanemoto swings and there's no doubt about this one.
20:35 westbaystars - It's deep into the Giants's side of the scoreboard to right-center.
20:36 westbaystars - Hanshin adds two runs to take a 8-5 lead.
20:36 westbaystars - That brings up Hiyama.
20:36 westbaystars - Kanemoto climbs over Rhodes for the RBI lead with 81 (to Rhodes' 80).
20:37 mijow - Wow! The Tigers are beating Kyojin at their own game.
20:37 westbaystars - And Hiyama hits his second home run of the evening to right.
20:37 Flynn2 - ah nothing makes one smile more than listening to a Japanese broadcaster scream "BONZAI!!!!"
20:38 westbaystars - Arias fouls Corey's first offering off to him, but he was swinging for the fenses.
20:38 westbaystars - A sea of yellow through the left side of Tokyo Dome errupts.
20:38 westbaystars - The next pitch is grounded to third, the throw to first is in time, and the side is retired.
20:38 mijow - Another one!
20:38 westbaystars - But not before a pair of home runs give the Tigers a more comfortable 9-5 lead.
20:39 westbaystars - Hanshin takes a 9-5 lead.
20:39 westbaystars - ---
20:39 westbaystars - Bottom of Seventh
20:39 westbaystars - ---
20:40 mijow - You know, the Tigers are undefeated so far on this year's shi no rodo, or Road of Death.
20:40 westbaystars - *** Yokohama now leads 2-0 after eight complete.
20:41 westbaystars - *** Can Sasaki save it tonight, after blowing two saves in a row?
20:41 westbaystars - *** Kinjyoh drove in the second run in the bottom of the eighth with a base hit.
20:42 westbaystars - Petagine leads off for the Giants.
20:42 westbaystars - He's looking to extend his five game home run streak and 11 game RBI streak.
20:43 westbaystars - Yoshino is in to pitch for Hanshin.
20:43 westbaystars - With two walks (one a hit by pitch), Petagine takes over the league lead in walks.
20:44 westbaystars - Peta-chan lines the ball over a leaping Toritani and into left field. Base hit.
20:44 westbaystars - That brings up Shimizu.
20:46 westbaystars - *** Inaba lines out to second. One Swallow out.
20:47 westbaystars - Shimizu grounds the ball up the middle.
20:47 westbaystars - The two middle infielders both back away as they meet each other in the middle.
20:47 westbaystars - The ball goes through. Base hit.
20:47 westbaystars - That brings Okada-kantoku out of the dugout.
20:47 westbaystars - Kanazawa is called in to take the mound.
20:48 westbaystars - *** Meanwhile, in Yokohama, Dobashi hits a line drive home run to left.
20:48 westbaystars - *** BayStars' lead is cut to 2-1.
20:48 westbaystars - *** Something is wrong with Daimajin.
20:50 westbaystars - With runners at first and second, and nobody out, Nioka comes up.
20:50 westbaystars - The ball is grounded up the middle, easy play for Kanazawa.
20:50 westbaystars - But he misses the ball!
20:50 westbaystars - By the time Nioka fields it, everyone is safe!
20:50 westbaystars - Bases loaded, nobody out.
20:51 westbaystars - *** Iwamura ties the game with a line drive home run to right.
20:51 westbaystars - *** Sasaki has blown his third save in a row.
20:52 westbaystars - One run in.
20:52 westbaystars - Two runs in.
20:52 westbaystars - Abe stands on second with a double.
20:52 westbaystars - The Giants cut the lead to 9-7.
20:53 westbaystars - *** Furuta hits the third home run in a row off of Sasaki.
20:53 westbaystars - *** Unbelievable.
20:53 westbaystars - Motoki comes up as a pinch hitter.
20:54 westbaystars - Motoki lines the first pitch to right-center.
20:54 westbaystars - But Hiyaham has this one.
20:54 westbaystars - The relay back home is held onto, no throw.
20:54 westbaystars - We now have a one-run game.
20:55 westbaystars - To the top of the order, Nishi comes up.
20:55 westbaystars - *** Yakult takes a 3-2 lead.
20:56 westbaystars - *** Suzuki Ken is out. Two down in Yokohama.
20:56 westbaystars - One out, runner at second here.
20:57 westbaystars - First base umpire says Nishi swung on ball four. He goes back to the plate with the count rull.
20:58 westbaystars - And the next pitch is swung on and missed, out and away. Two down.
20:58 westbaystars - *** Sasaki gets Ramirez swinging, and Yakult is retired in the nineth.
20:58 westbaystars - Suzuki comes up to bat.
21:00 westbaystars - *** Igarashi (July MVP) comes in to close for Yakult.
21:00 westbaystars - Suzuki hits a chopper to the right side.
21:01 westbaystars - Quick out of the batter7s box, he's running neck and neck with the ball.
21:01 westbaystars - But Imaoka is just a little quicker with the throw to first, and the side is retired.
21:02 westbaystars - But the Giants have made it a one run ball game.
21:02 westbaystars - After seven complete, they trail 9-8.
21:02 westbaystars - ---
21:03 westbaystars - Top of Eighth
21:03 westbaystars - ---
21:03 westbaystars - Kisanuki takes over on the mound for the Giants.
21:04 westbaystars - Yano leads off.
21:05 westbaystars - *** Woods gets on with one out. Pinch runner goes in for the important tying run.
21:05 westbaystars - Yano grounds the ball to Petagine.
21:06 westbaystars - Peta-chan bobbles the ball, then takes it first for the first out.
21:06 westbaystars - *** Nonaka, the pinch runner, steals second.
21:06 westbaystars - Toritani is up to bat.
21:07 westbaystars - He goes down swinging as Kisanuki works quickly.
21:07 westbaystars - That brings up Akahoshi.
21:08 westbaystars - *** Tamura swing out. Yokohama is down to their final out.
21:09 westbaystars - The count goes full to Toritani.
21:09 westbaystars - ---
21:09 westbaystars - Bottom of Eighth
21:09 westbaystars - ---
21:11 westbaystars - Rhodes leads off for the Giants, down by one.
21:11 westbaystars - Williams comes in, in his last appearance before heading to Athens, for the Tigers.
21:12 westbaystars - *** Murata flies out to Suzuki Ken at first, Yokohama loses.
21:13 westbaystars - *** I can't believe Daimajin failed again. And three consecutive home runs?
21:14 westbaystars - *** Oh, wait! That's only two outs.
21:15 westbaystars - *** Furuki pinch hits for Yokohama, and is given an intensional pass.
21:15 westbaystars - Rhodes takes ball four inside, and the tying run is aboard.
21:16 westbaystars - That brings up Kokubo.
21:18 westbaystars - *** Now the BayStars have lost.
21:19 westbaystars - *** Taneda lines the ball to left, but the left fielder is playing in, and makes the catch.
21:21 habs - **** Why didn't they have Tamura bunt over Nonaka to third?
21:22 westbaystars - Go ahead run is now at second.
21:23 westbaystars - Petagine has another chance at extending his RBI and/or home run streak.
21:34 westbaystars - OK, after everything went wacko...
21:35 westbaystars - After Williams managed one out, a pinch runner took over for him.
21:35 westbaystars - Kokubo hit a line driver into left center, wound up with a head sliding double.
21:35 westbaystars - Williams managed to get a second out before Nioka hit a shallow line drive to right.
21:36 westbaystars - Hiyama made a great diving attempt at the ball, but there was a short bound.
21:36 westbaystars - Two Giants scores, and the score is now 10-9 in favor of the Giants.
21:36 westbaystars - ---
21:37 westbaystars - Top of Nineth
21:37 westbaystars - We have a runner of first, one out, Kataoka at the plate.
21:39 westbaystars - The throw to second gets one.
21:40 westbaystars - There's no relay back to first.
21:40 westbaystars - We'll have a pinch runner, Noguchi, at first.
21:40 westbaystars - Down to their last out, Hanshin must get this runner around.
21:41 westbaystars - Kanemoto comes to the plate.
21:41 westbaystars - I need to find out what's wrong with this server. I suspect it's the hard drive which claims that it's ready to crash.
21:42 westbaystars - The logs must be hitting the bad sector.
21:42 westbaystars - But that doesn't help the Tigers.
21:42 westbaystars - Kanemoto fouls out down the left field line, and the game is over.
21:42 habs - When I first tried to get on I got two error messages.
21:43 westbaystars - ---
21:43 westbaystars - The Giants execute a big gyaku-ten victory in the eighth.
21:45 westbaystars - ---
21:45 habs - Two close games today
21:45 westbaystars - Nioka, who hit that one bound liner to right, is the hero of the game.
21:47 westbaystars - Yea, two close games. I wish one of them had turned out a bit differently.
21:48 westbaystars - I still don't believe Sasaki could give up three home runs in a row.
21:49 habs - I Don't understand why Yokahama didn't bunt over the runner to third
21:49 westbaystars - Thanks for staying until the end.
21:49 westbaystars - And play for the tie?
21:50 habs - First tie than try for the win.
21:51 westbaystars - A lot of people have been critisizing them for just that.
21:52 westbaystars - Besides, Ishii and Kinjyoh are the only two decent bunters on the 'Stars.
21:52 westbaystars - I need to shutdown and clean up some log files. I think that that may help this.
21:52 habs - I don't like to see small ball but some times it does come in to account
21:53 westbaystars - I wouldn't trust anyone else.
21:53 habs - Ok you did a good job again. see you next week.
About

This is a site about Pro Yakyu (Japanese Baseball), not about who the next player to go over to MLB is. It's a community of Pro Yakyu fans who have come together to share their knowledge and opinions with the world. It's a place to follow teams and individuals playing baseball in Japan (and Asia), and to learn about Japanese (and Asian) culture through baseball.

It is my sincere hope that once you learn a bit about what we're about here that you will join the community of contributors.

Michael Westbay
(aka westbaystars)
Founder

Search for Pro Yakyu news and information
Copyright (c) 1995-2024 JapaneseBaseball.com.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons License.
Some rights reserved.