It's time again for my annual alternative uniforms roundup (last year's is here). Here's what we have this year:
- Yomiuri will sport these cartoonish threads July 19-21 against Yakult. The uniforms were designed by middle school student Hikaru Nomoto, who's design was selected from out of more than 13,000 entries.
- This season Seibu is wearing 70′s era throwback uniforms, from when the team was known as the Taiheiyo-Club Lions, prior to Seibu ownership.
- Nippon Ham chose a garish gold color for this season's We Love Hokkaido uniforms.
- The differences between Yokohama's normal uniforms and this season's summer alternates are subtle, but pitcher Shun Yamaguchi still called them "unusually stylish". I wouldn't mind seeing them keep it simple and re-use these from a couple years ago.
- Orix's summer uniforms are red this year, which elicits memories the old red Kintetsu uniforms. Orix also recalled the old Blue Wave team by wearing 1995 throwback uniforms in a game at Skymark Stadium last month. 1995, of course, was the year that Orix lifted the city of Kobe by reaching the Japan Series after the horrific Hanshin Earthquake.
Today's Japanese vocabulary is 復刻版ユニホーム, (fukkokuban uniform), meaning "re-issue uniform", though in English we would translate that to "throwback uniform" or "retro uniform".