NPB Bullet Points: Nichibei Special
by Patrick Newman (Sep 15, 2009)
Another Japanese only edition, this time focusing on US-Japan player movment:
- It doesn't look like Wei-Yin Chen is going anywhere any time soon,
according to Chunichi Dragons president Junnosuke Nishikawa. "He can't
move unless he's willing to break our agreement. We don't have those
conditions (to allow him out after the season) in our contract," said
Nishikawa. Commenting on a possible move to the majors, Nishikawa said,
"even if that's out there, that's only if the team grants him to be
posted." Of course, there's no indication that Chen even wants to
leave, only that MLB scouts are watching him.
- Hanshin is sending ni-gun reliever Ken Nishimura to the Arizona Fall League this year. He'll join five or six other NPB prospects, including Norihito Kaneto of the Giants.
- Yokohama has made Tom Mastny its first foreign dismissal of the season.
Mastny went 1-5 with a 5.69 era in 15 games for Yokohama this year. "We
gave him a chance and he didn't produce results," said the Yokohama
front office. The BayStars are doing some general housecleaning and
interim manager Tamio Tashiro, 28-year veteran Kimiyasu
- Kudoh, and comparatively young infielder Toshihisa Nishi have all been shown the door.
- Speaking of Nishi, he's reportedly open to a move to the US minor leagues
if the right offer in Japan doesn't materialize. Nishi explored a move
to the Majors after filing for free agency back in 2004, but obviously
that didn't work out. As I recall the Pirates were rumored to be
interested back then.