It took a while to find a way to actually watch the game here in the States, but I finally did.
About the game...
- Jung Bong shut Japan down again, indicating that his round one performance was no fluke.
- Yu Darvish was better than the final line makes him look. He was done in in the first (from what I saw of the highlights) by a couple of a couple of booted infield grounders and a weak throw from Norichika Aoki.
- After the first inning, Korea didn't do much of anything until the eighth, when they let Japan's pitchers beat themselves with walks.
- Japan got runners on base and generally made contact, but they didn't get any extra-base hits and didn't really play the small-ball game. I think that's what cost them the win more than anything.
- Akinori Iwamura looked like he had no chance against Chong Lim in the last at-bat of the game.
- I wasn't crazy about Korea planting their flag on the mound at the end. They didn't win the tournament.
Hindsight is 20/20...
- Tatsunori Hara had the infield positioned for a play at the plate when Korea had the bases loaded in the first. If they had been a double-play depth they would have gotten at least one out on Jin-young Lee's grounder went for a two-run single.
- I would rather start Munenori Kawasaki than Yasuyuki Kataoka if Hiroyuki Nakajima can't play, especially since Kataoka is out of position at shortstop.
- What was the point of putting Yoshiyuki Ishihara in for Kenji Johjima, just to pinch hit for him with Shinnosuke Abe after an inning? Johjima got ejected - shame on me for watching with the sound off.
- Minoru Iwata didn't look sharp - and leaving him in to face the righty looked really bad when Masahiro Tanaka came in and blew the next guy away.
On the live chat...
- The chat thing was a spur-of-the-moment idea, so I didn't give much notice. If I try this again, I'll give more notice and hopefully I'll get to chat with a few of the regulars.
- The chat was pretty well-trafficed, mostly because it wound up near the top of the Google rankings for several variations on "wbc japan korea live". A lot of people found this site for the first time because of that, and I hope some of them will stick around.
- It took some time to find a good video feed, but I think at least a couple people were able to follow along.
- Some of the comments I got on the chat tested my patience - though the people causing the problems clearly weren't frequent visitors to this site. I hope everyone will be cool next time we do this.
- I think it was insane for ESPN to show the NIT tournament instead of this.