Highlights & Web Gems
by Patrick Newman (Sep 8, 2008)
Well, it was an off-day in Japan today and I don't have any essay type material ready, so here's my version of NPB Web Gems.
- An 18 year-old Daisuke Matsuzaka blows away Atsushi Kataoka with a 97 mph heater in his debut game.
- The 2001 Kintetsu Buffaloes clinched the 2001 Pacific League title in dramatic fashion. Highly recommended viewing.
- Tsuyoshi Shinyjo homers to send the game into extra innings, moves from the outfield to 2nd base , and then... watch the clip.
- Masafumi Yamamori scales the outfield fence to save a home run... twice. The first play is in the Major League Hall of Fame.
- Koji Akiyama used to back flip on to home plate after going deep for Seibu. Here's one he did in the 1986 Japan Series. Impressive, yes, but definite beanball fodder if it happened in MLB.
- Sherman Obando once took out a Seibu Dome camera with a home run.
- The 7th inning stretch is a little different in Japan - rather than
sing Take Me Out to the Ballgame, fans release balloons. The Hanshin Tigers fans put on the best show.