Mixing up the English and Japanese again. Most of these links are English though.
- Wayne Graczyk reminisces about 1995 and Hideo Nomo's rookie season. This is a good read.
- Japan national team manager Senichi Hoshino complains about ridiculous extra-innings format that will be used in the Olympics. Aaron at East Windup Chronicle dissects the format a bit.
- Orix has surprisingly moved into 4th place in the Pacific League. They're 2.5 games behind Softbank for the 3rd and final playoff position.
- Deanna from Marinerds, etc took a trip to Hiroshima to take in a Carp home game. I've always wanted to see Hiroshima Civic Stadium, but the one time I was in town the Carp were on the road. I'm hoping to check out the new stadium someday though.
- Softbank demoted Michael Restovich.
- Former Fukuoka Daiei Hawk Rich "Goose" Gossage is going into the Hall of Fame. Rich spent part of the 1990 season with Daiei, going 2-3 with 8 saves and a 4.40 ERA while striking out 40 in 47 innings (wikipedia has more, in Japanese). After leaving Japan, Gossage spent four more years in the Majors. He becomes the second NPB veteran to get elected into the MLB Hall of Fame, following Larry Doby.