Adjust Font Size: A A       Guest settings   Register

A couple of questions on pitching

Discussion in the Video Games forum
A couple of questions on pitching
What do the different sizes of pitches mean when you are batting? Sometimes the ball looks big, other times really small, and still other times it blinks.

Also, every time a pitcher strikes out a batter in the game he tips his hat to them. Does this happen in actual Japanese baseball? I never noticed it before if it does.
Comments
Re: A couple of questions on pitching
[ Author: Guest | Posted: Apr 18, 2009 12:04 AM ]

What it means is that:

If the ball looks big= you basically missed your pitch and threw a "meat ball" (easier to hit more accurately).

If the ball looks small= it was a good pitch and makes it a bit harder for batters to make contact effectively.

If it's blinking= the pitch was as close to perfect as can be (location, velocity, breaking, etc.) this makes it very difficult for the batter to hit and make good contact (specially if the pitcher is in the category of Iwakuma, Darvish, Sugiuchi).

This last pitch usually leads to a K, pop-up or ground out.

Hope this helps.
[ Author: kamachi | Posted: Apr 22, 2009 12:57 AM | YG Fan ]

Thanks for the answer Cyphe. I actually have another question (in addition to whether or not pitchers tip their hats to players they strike out) and that occured last night.

I put a starter in after my first starter got blown out in 2 innings and he came in tired. He had 0% fatigue but his bar was half empty and yellow. Any idea why this would be? Can starters not come on in relief?

Thanks to all those who take the time to answer all the questions on this board. It is appreciated!
[ Author: Guest | Posted: Jul 7, 2009 3:17 AM ]

Your starter was fatigued because he was probably still recovering from his 1st start and wasn't supposed to be brought in for relief. PYS games reward you for realistic play and punish you for unrealistic play.
[ Author: Guest | Posted: Jul 8, 2009 5:19 AM ]

PYS games
> reward you for realistic play and punish you for
> unrealistic play.

"guest" said it best.

basically if you are playing "season" mode, you need to manage your pitchers well. Pitch count actually "works" in this game; for ALL pitchers (starters and bullpen).

If you use a pitcher frequently and with high counts of pitches, he will not be properly rested for his next start.

I usually go with a six man rotation, you also need to make roster movements while playing a season. Specially if you play with a team that has a average or weak rotation/bullpen.

I, for example, play with the BayStars (very weak pitching staff) so I have lots of players moving up and down my roster. Specially my 4-6 starters and part of my 'pen.

hope this helps.
[ Author: PGOODY | Posted: Jul 16, 2009 2:35 AM ]

That guest was me Cyphre. I was to lazy to sign in but anyways I tried using the BayStars in a season mode for PYS5 and it was challenging. Doi and Miura were my only guys with any consistency. I really like the way pitcher stamina is setup in PYS it is the most realistic in any game out there today.
About

This is a site about Pro Yakyu (Japanese Baseball), not about who the next player to go over to MLB is. It's a community of Pro Yakyu fans who have come together to share their knowledge and opinions with the world. It's a place to follow teams and individuals playing baseball in Japan (and Asia), and to learn about Japanese (and Asian) culture through baseball.

It is my sincere hope that once you learn a bit about what we're about here that you will join the community of contributors.

Michael Westbay
(aka westbaystars)
Founder

Search for Pro Yakyu news and information
Copyright (c) 1995-2024 JapaneseBaseball.com.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons License.
Some rights reserved.