Adjust Font Size: A A       Guest settings   Register

Baseball During World War II

Discussion in the Pro Yakyu History forum
Baseball During World War II
Hi,

I'm intersted in doing research on Japanese Baseball during World War II, specifically any government intervention into the game. I'm particularly interested in how the Japanese (government and civilians) viewed such a western cultural import and what steps, if any, they took to "purify" the game.

I know the Japanese government did a major crackdown on jazz and other wester-styled "pop culture" and entertainment, so I'm quite surpised that the only things that I've been able to find are the changing of the names (balls, strikes, etc).

Thank you for any of your help. Please e-mail jng at brown dot edu if you would like.
About

This is a site about Pro Yakyu (Japanese Baseball), not about who the next player to go over to MLB is. It's a community of Pro Yakyu fans who have come together to share their knowledge and opinions with the world. It's a place to follow teams and individuals playing baseball in Japan (and Asia), and to learn about Japanese (and Asian) culture through baseball.

It is my sincere hope that once you learn a bit about what we're about here that you will join the community of contributors.

Michael Westbay
(aka westbaystars)
Founder

Search for Pro Yakyu news and information
Copyright (c) 1995-2024 JapaneseBaseball.com.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons License.
Some rights reserved.