Adjust Font Size: A A       Guest settings   Register

Former Major Leaguer Mario Encarnacion In CPBL

Discussion in the Around Asia forum
Former Major Leaguer Mario Encarnacion In CPBL
Hey look who's in the CPBL! Former Major League outfielder Mario Encarnacion is now with the Makoto Cobras. The 28 year old already has two home runs in two at-bats. In order to make room for Encarnacion, Japanese pitcher Tomokazu Yamazaki (9.22 ERA in 13.2 IP) was dumped.

Right-hander Lenin Picota is back in the Chinese Professional Baseball League. A veteran of two seasons in the early history of the league, the 40 year old Picota is now playing with the Sinon Bulls.

Meanwhile, 27 year old righty Travis Wade has signed with the La New Bears. Last season with the independent Newark Bears Wade was 3-4 with 16 saves and a 2.45 ERA (69.2 IP). He walked 12 and struck out 50 batters. In order to make room for Wade, Jose Vargas (7.84 ERA in 10.1 IP) was released.
Comments
Re: Former Major Leaguer Mario Encarnacion In CPBL
[ Author: Guest: will flynt | Posted: Apr 21, 2005 1:15 PM ]

Andrew,

If Pico is back in Taiwan I think I might have to crank it up again. I am only 88MPH now, but I could still throw 200 innings and win 10+ games in Taiwan like I used to. See if anybody needs a veteran lefty.

Will Flynt
[ Author: Guest: Andrew | Posted: Apr 23, 2005 1:33 PM ]

They're always looking for lefties. Even the Major Leagues lack left handers who can hit 90. Have you been playing professional ball lately?
[ Author: Guest: kennywur | Posted: Apr 29, 2005 5:32 AM ]

A 88 MPH lefty is enough to pitch in Taiwan. Most hitters don't hit left handed pitchers well.
[ Author: Guest: guest | Posted: Oct 3, 2005 5:03 PM ]

Mario Encarnacion was found dead today in Taiwan for indefinite reasons. Condolence to him.

Mario Gonzalez Encarnacion, 1975 ~ 2005.
[ Author: Guest: John Bull | Posted: Oct 3, 2005 5:13 PM ]

Mario was foound dead in his bed this morning. The cause of death is yet to be determined.
[ Author: Guest: dude | Posted: Oct 3, 2005 6:38 PM ]

I read about this in an article just a few minutes ago. They say that they aren't sure about the reason of death and officials are looking into it. They already know that a week ago, he was sick with stomach problems. Also, it appears that he was using drugs and was suspended for a few games earlier in the season.

All of this might be related, but I don't know.
[ Author: Guest: Bill Carle | Posted: Oct 5, 2005 8:11 PM ]

Does anybody know where he died?
[ Author: Guest: JUSTer | Posted: Oct 6, 2005 11:17 AM ]

He died in his team's dormitory. Encarnacion failed to show up for practice at Tamshui, a town in suburban Taipei, and was found dead in his bed by teammates.
[ Author: Guest: Tony | Posted: Oct 10, 2005 9:12 AM ]

He was my cousin. I just heard the news from an other cousin from Boston who just told me what happened. I heard something in the news from New York on the radio, but I did not hear the whole thing. Mario was a great guy. We use to call him Cakirre. Now he is gone.
About

This is a site about Pro Yakyu (Japanese Baseball), not about who the next player to go over to MLB is. It's a community of Pro Yakyu fans who have come together to share their knowledge and opinions with the world. It's a place to follow teams and individuals playing baseball in Japan (and Asia), and to learn about Japanese (and Asian) culture through baseball.

It is my sincere hope that once you learn a bit about what we're about here that you will join the community of contributors.

Michael Westbay
(aka westbaystars)
Founder

Search for Pro Yakyu news and information
Copyright (c) 1995-2024 JapaneseBaseball.com.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons License.
Some rights reserved.