Adjust Font Size: A A       Guest settings   Register

Gambling Resurfaces in CPBL

Discussion in the Around Asia forum
Gambling Resurfaces in CPBL
It seemed like only yesterday that baseball in Taiwan was losing credibility due to gambling. Now another scandal is bubbling as officials have sniffed out players allegedly throwing games for money with the backing of criminal organizations.

As of today, players who have been banned for life are La New Bears catcher Chen Chao-ying and Makoto Cobras' farm team manager Tsai Sheng-feng. The both of them have already confessed to their "mistake." China Trust Whales' manager and former player, Yu Sheng-ming, has vehemently denied that he was ever involved in fixing games.

One reason why players throw games is because of the low salaries, but $7,000 US per month for the average player is very high compared to the average citizen. In comparison, bookies or criminals would pay them up to $300,000 US to throw a game. Even if criminals forced these players to do what they did, which does not seem to be the case this time around, these incidents should have been reported to the authorities as well.

Adding to further disgust, nearly all of the foreign pitchers were banned from leaving Taiwan after the local media reported that they had been offered sex service arranged by bookies. Sinon Bulls coach and former pitcher, Jeffrey Louis Andra, left the hearings without talking to reporters.

The question now is how will fans view the CPBL? This is the second major game-fixing player scandal in the CPBL's 16-year history. In 1996 and '97, fans showed their displeasure by not going to the games. Last night, Chen Huai-shan hit two home runs as the Brother Elephants defeated the China Trust Whales 10-0 in Taichung. Did the Whales' pitchers serve up fastballs right down the middle of the plate for money?

I feel sorry for those players who actually work hard and play baseball because they love the game. A small number of them have ruined it for everyone.

I once considered myself a fan of the Chinese Professional Baseball League. However, these incidents have caused me to question all credibility in the CPBL. I see myself questioning every play when the ball is dropped, a home run is hit, a player is released, etc. And I am not alone. Only when fans stop watching games at stadiums and on TV will these baseball players realize how good they've got it.
Comments
Re: Gambling Resurfaces in CPBL
[ Author: westbaystars | Posted: Jul 29, 2005 11:07 AM | YBS Fan ]

I had read a little about this on the flight home. It mentioned the La New Bears' catcher Chen Chao-ying (not that I could read his name, but I knew it was a catcher for the La New Bears) and at least three coaches.

The article I read in Nikkan Sports said that the throwing of games by catcher Chen was to help pay off bar tab depts. Or, at least, that's how I read it. It's good to have an authority there in Taiwan to set me straight. Thanks for the report.

There is an interesting paper linked to on this thread about the history of CPBL and TML (Taiwan Major League) which includes the first gambling scandal and its effects. The merger of the two leagues appeared to restore credibility for a while, but this is devistating news.
[ Author: Guest: Andrew | Posted: Jul 29, 2005 1:11 PM ]

As more information comes in, China Trust Whales' pitcher, Emiliano Giron, has been suspended indefinitely without pay by the team. He was questioned by prosecutors and released on $3,134 US bail. Giron has reportedly said he received threats from a criminal organization but did not report it to team officials. It is estimaed that this organization pocketed $3 million US from game-fixing.

The Whales have since signed 38 year old right hander Wascar Serrano. This season he pitched with the Campeche Pirates and Yucatan Lions of the Mexican League.

Local media have reported that some foreign players have acknowledged the fact that they were taken to dinner, accompanied by beautiful women. They then were offered sexual services plus cash from bookies involved in illegal gambling.

La New Bears' pitcher Dai Long-sui and American third baseman Victor A. Rodriguez voluntarily answered investigators' questions. The result was that Dai was arrested and Rodriguez was barred from leaving Taiwan.

The Brother Elephants suspended American pitcher Jonathan Hurst for one game, but he has assured fans that he and some of his teammates have not been involved. The veteran has also said he knows how to stay clear of the underworld and has advised fellow foreigners on how to do the same.

Two Makoto Cobras, Lin En-yu and Lin Ying-jeh, both hurlers, have received praise from the media for refusing to comply with gangsters.

It is not known what the fallout will be. How many players will be banned for life? In 1996, 22 players were convicted. Gangsters are everywhere. They are in Japan, South Korea, and the United States. Baseball in those countries have not had the problems that "bangqiu" has had and is having in Taiwan.
[ Author: Guest: John Brooks | Posted: Aug 4, 2005 6:15 PM ]

Cabinet spokesman Cho Jung-tai said that investigators were widing there dragnet in hopes of snaring more suspects. Cho said about the lastest gambling scandal, "There must be a big group behind all this, and this mastermind must be singled out and caught."

Cho went onto say that the recent scandal has damaged people's confidence in Taiwan as it looks forward to holding the "09" World Games, not to mention the confidence of CPBL baseball fans.

Cho urged the public to think long and hard about the feasibility of introducing baseball management mechanisms from other countries, including whether a sports lottery could help eliminate rampant underground gambling. Taiwan Solidarity Union legislator, Lo Chih-ming, a staunch supporter of a having a government-run sports lottery, says he will introduce legislation for the bill that will be run in a fair and just manner.

[Full Story - Taipei Times]
[ Author: Guest: John Brooks | Posted: Sep 19, 2005 7:22 AM ]

Three Yunlin Court prosecutors agreed to detain prosecutor Hsu Wei-yu and 8 others (including relatives and acquaintances) on suspicion over alleged corruption.

The strange part is Hsu was commended for his work into bribery and gambling in the CPBL.

[Taiwan News - in English]
About

This is a site about Pro Yakyu (Japanese Baseball), not about who the next player to go over to MLB is. It's a community of Pro Yakyu fans who have come together to share their knowledge and opinions with the world. It's a place to follow teams and individuals playing baseball in Japan (and Asia), and to learn about Japanese (and Asian) culture through baseball.

It is my sincere hope that once you learn a bit about what we're about here that you will join the community of contributors.

Michael Westbay
(aka westbaystars)
Founder

Search for Pro Yakyu news and information
Copyright (c) 1995-2024 JapaneseBaseball.com.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons License.
Some rights reserved.