Adjust Font Size: A A       Guest settings   Register

What's next for Ochoa?

Discussion in the Rumor Mill forum
What's next for Ochoa?
Alex, the Ochoa-constrictor, had another solid year. He should return with the Carp, but you never know what teams want to do with a foreign player going on age 37. The Carp may decide they want to go younger.

Anyhow, he certainly proved to be a great addition since getting picked up at a time when his career appeared to be over. Think the Dragons have any regrets about letting him go?
Comments
Re: What's next for Ochoa?
[ Author: Guest: gotigersredsox | Posted: Oct 9, 2008 3:03 PM ]

If the Carp don't keep him, I would love to see the Tigers pick him up. After the failed Shane Spencer and Lew Ford experiments, it would be great to have a foreign player who has already shown he can play here. He would have to move to right field, but not a huge adjustment.
Re: What's next for Ochoa?
[ Author: Guest: puddin head | Posted: Oct 31, 2008 1:15 AM ]

I heard on a radio discussion about what the Phillies may do. now that they are World Series champions, that Ochoa may be one of their spring training invitees. Then again, I remember a lot of excitement about Adam Riggs possibly going there a couple of seasons ago and it never happened. The Swallow the scouts were excited about was Iwamura.
Hanshin's Successful Grabs
[ Author: torakichi | Posted: Oct 31, 2008 6:33 PM | HT Fan ]

Indeed, Hanshin's most successful batting suketto in recent times have been those who they acquired from other NPB teams. Names like George Arias and Andy Sheets come to mind.
Re: Hanshin's Successful Grabs
[ Author: Guest: puddin head | Posted: Nov 5, 2008 8:06 PM ]

I see the Dragons cut Tyrone Woods loose and I doubt any MLB teams would make a play for him. Perhaps Woods and Ochoa could be reunited with the popular Hanshin Tigers, although that "other" league which uses the DH may prove to be a better option for the Tyrone-asaurus these days.
[ Author: Guest: gotigersredsox | Posted: Nov 8, 2008 9:44 PM ]

Hmmm, after what he did to us, I just can't picture Woods in a Tigers uniform. And with Arai at first, not sure where he would play.
[ Author: Guest | Posted: Dec 8, 2008 4:15 AM ]

Alex to the Tigers is a good bet. He does have knowledge of the game here in Japan, and the Tigers could use him in right. Lin might be younger, but he hasn't met the expectations that were expected of him. Alex coming to the Tigers might be the icing on the cake for them. 3)Arai, 4)Kanemoto, 5)Alex. That is a dangerous line-up. What do you think?
[ Author: Guest: puddin head | Posted: Dec 12, 2008 2:41 AM ]

If Alex O. finishes his career helping Hanshin win a long awaited title, it would be a fitting end to a career which includes a long awaited Angels title in 2002 in MLB. Alex played for Bobby Valentine in AAA in 1996 (batted .339) and played for Bobby V. with the Mets in 1997, yet I've never seen or heard Bobby say anything positive about him as a ballplayer. Still, in a long career in both MLB and NPB Alex has a combined batting average of over .280 and has had a very respectable career. He simply got overshadowed by all the steroid guys.
[ Author: Dan Miceli | Posted: Dec 13, 2008 1:03 PM ]

Alex Ochoa would be a great fit for the Hanshin Tigers in right field in 2009. The Tigers have struggled to get production out of the position for years, and I wouldn't bet on Lin ever being a dependable regular in Hanshin's lineup.
About

This is a site about Pro Yakyu (Japanese Baseball), not about who the next player to go over to MLB is. It's a community of Pro Yakyu fans who have come together to share their knowledge and opinions with the world. It's a place to follow teams and individuals playing baseball in Japan (and Asia), and to learn about Japanese (and Asian) culture through baseball.

It is my sincere hope that once you learn a bit about what we're about here that you will join the community of contributors.

Michael Westbay
(aka westbaystars)
Founder

Search for Pro Yakyu news and information
Copyright (c) 1995-2024 JapaneseBaseball.com.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons License.
Some rights reserved.