Adjust Font Size: A A       Guest settings   Register

Cabrera To Nationals?

Discussion in the Rumor Mill forum
Cabrera To Nationals?
Sources have told FOX Sports' Ken Rosenthal that the Nationals are interested in former Seibu Lions' first baseman Alex Cabrera, despite having Dmitri Young and Nick Johnson. The report also said several AL teams are interested in Cabrera.

It was also said that Cabrera would enter talks with the Orix Buffaloes, though nothing have seemed to come of it yet.

Cabrera batted .295/.377/.512 with 27 HRs and 81 RBI in 119 games and 441 ABs in 2007.

Source: FOX Sports
Comments
Re: Cabrera To Nationals?
[ Author: Guest: Tony | Posted: Dec 13, 2007 12:31 PM ]

I'm sure the Orix front office is showing their incompetence by taking so long in trying to sign Cabrera. If you want a FA, strike while the fire is hot. Many teams are signing free agents and Orix lags behind.
[ Author: BigManZam | Posted: Dec 13, 2007 12:37 PM | CLM Fan ]

Cabrera could be a good DH for a weaker AL team like the Royals. I really can't predict how he'd hit in MLB now that he's aged a bit in Japan. His power numbers went down from his 50 homer days, but that can also be because he doesn't get many pitches to hit. He's hit consistently well in the winter leagues, so it'll be interesting to see his production if he decides to try for the Majors again.

Here's hoping it won't be like Petagine's return.
[ Author: Guest: Kenny | Posted: Dec 14, 2007 9:26 AM ]

I don't know if MLB will now look at Cabrera since his name came out in the Mitchell Report. I had my suspicions for years about A-Cab and his Canseco-like body, but now my suspicions have been confirmed.
[ Author: Jbroks86 | Posted: Dec 14, 2007 1:22 PM | SFT Fan ]

- I don't know if MLB will now look at Cabrera since his name came out in the Mitchell Report. I had my suspicions for years about A-Cab and his Canseco-like body, but now my suspicions have been confirmed.

Yeah, I agree. MLB teams may now shy away from Cabrera after the Mitchell Report came out. Though, now will NPB teams shy away from players like Larry Bigbie, Jeff Williams, and Adam Riggs who were also implicated in the Mitchell Report today?
[ Author: Guest: Dylan | Posted: Dec 14, 2007 10:59 PM ]

Alex Cabrera is listed as an Orix Buffalo on the Japan Baseball Daily website. Did Orix sign Cabrera?
[ Author: Guest: Gary Garland | Posted: Dec 15, 2007 2:15 AM ]

I admit to taking a bit of license there. I think Orix is really the only viable outlet for Cabrera at this point. The delay in getting to an agreement could be his agent wanting to try to use what has to be tepid MLB interest as a way of trying to improve Alex' deal with the Buffs.
[ Author: Guest: Dylan | Posted: Dec 21, 2007 8:23 PM ]

What's taking Orix so long to sign Cabrera? Geez, every team has signed 1 to 4 free agents already. Camp is only 3 weeks away. Also, does Orix have interest in Darwin Cubillan?
About

This is a site about Pro Yakyu (Japanese Baseball), not about who the next player to go over to MLB is. It's a community of Pro Yakyu fans who have come together to share their knowledge and opinions with the world. It's a place to follow teams and individuals playing baseball in Japan (and Asia), and to learn about Japanese (and Asian) culture through baseball.

It is my sincere hope that once you learn a bit about what we're about here that you will join the community of contributors.

Michael Westbay
(aka westbaystars)
Founder

Search for Pro Yakyu news and information
Copyright (c) 1995-2024 JapaneseBaseball.com.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons License.
Some rights reserved.