Adjust Font Size: A A       Guest settings   Register

Bonds to Come to Japan?

Discussion in the Rumor Mill forum
Bonds to Come to Japan?
Bonds' uncharted universe: 755 and beyond
By Janie McCauley, AP Sports Writer
August 4, 2007

SAN FRANCISCO (AP) -- How about this scenario for Barry Bonds after he breaks Hank Aaron's record: Unable to find a major league team in 2008, he heads to Japan and takes aim at Sadaharu Oh's professional home run mark.

[...]

Oh hit 868 home runs in Japan, a place Bonds thinks of fondly.

[...]

"I'd go [to Japan] and play for fun and have a good time. With what I've accomplished and what I'm doing, it's not funny to say I'll go break the record in Japan."

[...]
If ol' Tuffy can hit 50 dingers this year, Bonds could come to Japan and hit more.
Comments
Re: Bonds to Come to Japan?
[ Author: Guest | Posted: Aug 6, 2007 7:16 AM ]

No way. Bonds is a malcontent in America, so there's no way he'd adjust in Japan.
[ Author: NipponHam11 | Posted: Aug 7, 2007 2:04 AM | SFT Fan ]

If he does go to Japan (not likely, he's in his 40's and has a balky knee), I'd love nothing more than to see him corkscrew into the ground flailing at a pitch.
[ Author: Guest: puddin head | Posted: Aug 9, 2007 1:05 PM ]

Didn't we go through this same exercise a year ago, regarding the possibility of Sammy Sosa going to Japan?

Baroid probably won't get the kind of yen he wants, and if his aim is to break Oh's world professional record, I don't think that would make him a very beloved figure in Japanese parks.
[ Author: BigManZam | Posted: Aug 10, 2007 7:03 AM | CLM Fan ]

I agree with this. As for which team could possibly afford him, I'd have to go with SoftBank, which is ironically managed by Sadaharu Oh. Matsunaka goes to first base and Bonds would DH. Bonds loves to wait on fastballs, so he'd have to learn how to hit breaking balls, since that's all he will see.

Bonds is pretty popular with a lot of Japanese fans for his Nichi-Bei stuff and friendship with Shinjo. I guess he's a great guy when you can't understand a single word he's saying. Hehe.
[ Author: Guest: zman | Posted: Aug 11, 2007 11:14 AM ]

Bonds playing for Oh, interesting.

Bonds has a murky future in MLB. His salary is going to go way down next year, he may do better over here in Japan financially. Don't see the SF Giants keeping him beyond this year, so who would pick him up? Bonds has said that he does not want to play in the American League already.

So he comes here and plays a couple of years. Bonds would rip Japanese pitching. He retires when he matches Oh's record out of respect for his coach. Nice story.
[ Author: Christopher | Posted: Aug 13, 2007 6:06 PM | HAN Fan ]

I can't see that happening. Given Bond's steroids issues I don't think any Japanese club would touch him. Even if Oh wanted him I suspect that the SoftBank front office would veto the move. I would also think that his salary expectations would be rather high.
[ Author: Guest: puddin head | Posted: Sep 4, 2007 6:14 PM ]

I heard Robert Whiting on the New York radio show called Talking Baseball (the only thing on WFAN that's worth listening to) and he said Oh was legit ... during the off-season MLB tours Oh hit homers off guys like Carlton, Gibson, and Palmer. I learned that Japan had a reserve clause at the time (just like MLB) binding players to their teams for life, otherwise, Oh may have come to MLB.

If Baroid goes to Japan, he'd have to do it with a humble spirit, or else it could become a rocky experience for him.
[ Author: Guest: Ed Kranepool | Posted: Sep 24, 2007 1:07 AM ]

The SF Giants have said they will not re-sign Bonds. NPB might be an interesting place for him. Humble spirit, hmmmmm.

I'm not sure who in MLB would sign him at this point. His commercial value has diminished. Chasing Oh's record would seem like a hollow victory if achieved, since I, for one, don't think credit in another international league should count toward another international league's record.

It's too bad Oh didn't have the opportunity to bring his talent to MLB for a few seasons at least. I do remember a home run derby between Oh and Willie Mays and an ASG. It was close, but I don't remember who won, not that it means anything. Maybe that is where he hit his homers off Gibson, Palmer, and Carlton? I suspect it was during some off season tour.
[ Author: Guest: zman | Posted: Sep 25, 2007 12:37 PM ]

Mr. Ed,

Well, his being cut by the Giants makes it a little more interesting for him to come to Japan. He can't field any longer, so perhaps the Pacific League. Orix seems to specialize in old folks home players, it did pay off with Tuffy for them this year. Tuffy, no doubt, will move on to another Japanese team. Perhaps Barry can fill in.
[ Author: Guest: puddin head | Posted: Oct 2, 2007 2:26 PM ]

Bonds or no Bonds, the Giants need position players. It would not hurt them to give Alex Ochoa a look in spring training. If he needs to play in AAA he'd probably do much better in the hitter-friendly Pacific Coast League than he did last year at Pawtucket, where I believe he was simply unfamiliar with the pitchers. Look at how many times guys come up from AAA and bamboozle MLB teams in their first start or two!
[ Author: BigManZam | Posted: Oct 19, 2007 7:30 AM | CLM Fan ]

Sadaharu Oh will possibly manage his final season next year. According to Japan Baseball Daily, Sports Illustrated mentioned Bonds possibly playing in Fukuoka next year (did they read my post?). I expect Barry to hit over 100 homers next year to break Sadaharu Oh's record. Then they'll both embrace and raise their arms in triumph.

Unfortunately for SI, I also thought Sammy Sosa was going to be a Ham Fighter.
[ Author: Guest: Ed Kranepool | Posted: Oct 21, 2007 1:58 PM ]

Bonds is not a protruding nail. He is a jagged rip saw. He will not survive in Japan, and even if he came over, he would see even less strikes than he has in MLB if he chases a home run record.
About

This is a site about Pro Yakyu (Japanese Baseball), not about who the next player to go over to MLB is. It's a community of Pro Yakyu fans who have come together to share their knowledge and opinions with the world. It's a place to follow teams and individuals playing baseball in Japan (and Asia), and to learn about Japanese (and Asian) culture through baseball.

It is my sincere hope that once you learn a bit about what we're about here that you will join the community of contributors.

Michael Westbay
(aka westbaystars)
Founder

Search for Pro Yakyu news and information
Copyright (c) 1995-2024 JapaneseBaseball.com.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons License.
Some rights reserved.