Adjust Font Size: A A       Guest settings   Register

Kaz Ishii to Fighters?

Discussion in the Rumor Mill forum
Kaz Ishii to Fighters?
Is it true that Ishii is going back to Japan to the Nippon Ham Fighters?
Comments
Re: Kaz Ishii to Fighters?
[ Author: Jingu Bleacher Bum | Posted: Nov 22, 2005 3:08 PM | YAK Fan ]

While the Nippon Ham Fighters seem to be the most up-front club in trying to bring Ishii back, Rakuten is another club rumored to be interested. The Fighters have supposedly put up an offer of 2 years for 800 million yen. You may remember that Ishii played under Rakuten manager Katsuya Nomura during his days with Yakult, so that is a possibility as well.

However, Ishii has stated that his priority is to find another MLB team where he can join the starting rotation.
[ Author: Deanna | Posted: Nov 22, 2005 4:05 PM | NIP Fan ]

I was pointed to this article (sanspo.com), but I'm still not sure I exactly understand what's up here. The Fighters want to go after him but either have to wait for him to be a free agent next month or have to buy his contract from the Mets?

Either way, I think it would be pretty cool, especially with the Fighters releasing/posting/whatevering Iriki - assuming Ishii's still got something left in his arm, no pun intended.
[ Author: BigManZam | Posted: Nov 23, 2005 3:07 AM | CLM Fan ]

But with Shinjo and Inaba, wouldn't the Fighters become the team for guys not good enough to cut it in the majors?
[ Author: Guest: John Brooks | Posted: Nov 23, 2005 4:57 AM ]

- The Fighters want to go after him but either have to wait for him to be a free agent next month or have to buy his contract from the Mets?

The Mets declined Ishii's 2006 option on November 15th [Link - MLB], so he should be a free agent. At this moment there should be no need to buy his contract out from the Mets.
[ Author: mrbaseball_cpr | Posted: Jan 30, 2006 1:16 PM | YBS Fan ]

Ishii returning to Japan is great for Japanese baseball, but a dissapointing loss for the American fan. I for one was quite intrigued by Ishii-san's slow, sweeping curves, and felt that he would take well to our style of baseball. In the end, I suppose that time and circumstance were too much, and I would think that he might have been more than a little homesick, too.

At any rate, good luck to you, Mr Ishii. Play well.
About

This is a site about Pro Yakyu (Japanese Baseball), not about who the next player to go over to MLB is. It's a community of Pro Yakyu fans who have come together to share their knowledge and opinions with the world. It's a place to follow teams and individuals playing baseball in Japan (and Asia), and to learn about Japanese (and Asian) culture through baseball.

It is my sincere hope that once you learn a bit about what we're about here that you will join the community of contributors.

Michael Westbay
(aka westbaystars)
Founder

Search for Pro Yakyu news and information
Copyright (c) 1995-2024 JapaneseBaseball.com.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons License.
Some rights reserved.