Adjust Font Size: A A       Guest settings   Register

Padres Release Iguchi

Discussion in the Nichi-Bei forum
Padres Release Iguchi
The San Diego Padres have released second baseman Tadahito Iguchi [Baseball -Reference] to make room for prospect Matt Antonelli.

Iguchi has struggled with injuries all year, batting just .231/.292/.304 with 2 HRs and 24 RBI in 81 games and 303 ABs. The subpar 2008 season probably will hurt Iguchi's free agent popularity, though I'd like to see what he could do for a team like the Rockies; despite that I think they're happy with Jeff Baker.

Source: Japan Ball
Comments
Re: Padres Release Iguchi
[ Author: Guest: puddin head | Posted: Sep 3, 2008 1:28 AM ]

As a Phillies fan, I was really happy with Iguchi's contributions to our division title run last year and would love it if the Phils picked him up in a reserve role this year. There is something about a guy having "an educated bat." Those guys are dangerous in a big spot, no matter what their current year's batting average may be.
[ Author: Guest | Posted: Sep 4, 2008 12:52 PM ]

I'm sorry but he strikes out way too much. Without sounding too harsh, you can add him to the list of NPB players who can't cut it in the Majors.
[ Author: westbaystars | Posted: Sep 4, 2008 9:25 PM | YBS Fan ]

Please don't feed the trolls.

Broks-san, I know you want to explain in detail why he's wrong. You already did elsewhere. He's not listening.

Move on.
[ Author: NipponHam11 | Posted: Sep 5, 2008 8:04 AM | SFT Fan ]

Maybe he returns to where it all started with the Hawks? Then again, there's a 99.99% chance of that not happening. Honda and Kawasaki are our middle-infielders.
[ Author: Jbroks86 | Posted: Sep 6, 2008 6:03 AM | SFT Fan ]

Well, Iguchi will be returning to the Phillies for September. He won't be eligible for the post season though.

Source: MLB.com
[ Author: No.1BayFan | Posted: Sep 5, 2008 5:29 PM | YOK Fan ]

Can't cut it in the majors? Last time I checked he was an integral part of the White Sox 2005 World Championship team. He proved he can cut it in the majors, so he doesn't need to prove anything to anyone.
About

This is a site about Pro Yakyu (Japanese Baseball), not about who the next player to go over to MLB is. It's a community of Pro Yakyu fans who have come together to share their knowledge and opinions with the world. It's a place to follow teams and individuals playing baseball in Japan (and Asia), and to learn about Japanese (and Asian) culture through baseball.

It is my sincere hope that once you learn a bit about what we're about here that you will join the community of contributors.

Michael Westbay
(aka westbaystars)
Founder

Search for Pro Yakyu news and information
Copyright (c) 1995-2024 JapaneseBaseball.com.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons License.
Some rights reserved.