Adjust Font Size: A A       Guest settings   Register

A Little Wednesday Afternoon Drama

Discussion in the Nichi-Bei forum
A Little Wednesday Afternoon Drama
The following link is a brief summary of the news coming out of spring training regarding the drama that unfolded Wednesday afternoon in Florida.

Being privy to actually watching the events unfold live on television I found it very uplifting to see Jason Varitek, Team Captain, explaining the rational behind this protest and the players' support for the team coaches, trainers, equipment managers, and all of the behind the scenes personnel who seemingly, because of a "misunderstanding," were not going to be compensated as was agreed upon. It was just unfortunate that this situation had to get to this stage to see a fair solution of the issue at hand. The powers that be in MLB should be totally embarrassed by this turn of events.
Comments
Re: A Little Wednesday Afternoon Drama
[ Author: BigManZam | Posted: Mar 21, 2008 3:16 AM | CLM Fan ]

With that many people making 40,000 to 50,000 dollars each, where is the profit in this endeavor? I just don't get it. Japan doesn't care about the Red Sox or A's. They just want to see Matsuzaka. I wonder if MLB will ever figure that out.

There's going to be a point when going to the Majors will be old hat for Japanese players and the novelty will wear thin. The American style of baseball just doesn't appeal to Japanese people on a mass level.
About

This is a site about Pro Yakyu (Japanese Baseball), not about who the next player to go over to MLB is. It's a community of Pro Yakyu fans who have come together to share their knowledge and opinions with the world. It's a place to follow teams and individuals playing baseball in Japan (and Asia), and to learn about Japanese (and Asian) culture through baseball.

It is my sincere hope that once you learn a bit about what we're about here that you will join the community of contributors.

Michael Westbay
(aka westbaystars)
Founder

Search for Pro Yakyu news and information
Copyright (c) 1995-2024 JapaneseBaseball.com.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons License.
Some rights reserved.