Adjust Font Size: A A       Guest settings   Register

Bonds possibly in Japan?

Discussion in the Nichi-Bei forum
Bonds possibly in Japan?
This was in this morning's (February 19) Mercury News out of the Bay Area.
Ex-Giant Bonds 'in game shape,' but still seeking employment

[...] Some baseball officials believe that Bonds might seek a one-year contract in Japan, where he is beloved. Others speculated that he knows he cannot find a job but refuses to retire because he wants to portray himself as a victim. [...]

[Editor's note: Just paste the URL into the message, I'll make it a link as necessary.]
Comments
Re: Bonds possibly in Japan?
[ Author: Christopher | Posted: Feb 20, 2008 9:26 AM | HAN Fan ]

Bonds is highly unlikely to be asked to come to Japan. Japanese teams will steer well clear of him given the accusations and controversy surrounding him at the moment. Furthermore, his popularity among Yakyu fans in Japan has long since dissipated. There is no reason for any team to ask him over.
[ Author: rockeastwood | Posted: Feb 20, 2008 10:58 AM | YBS Fan ]

I wouldn't disagree, his character is definitely in question. However, I would not say there is no reason for a team to inquire. Bonds will surely put butts in the seats, and will draw international interest to Japanese baseball. There is always a story to tell when the subject is Barry Bonds. Especially in Asia if he could somehow approach Oh's record. Furthermore, a few months ago there were rumor that SoftBank had talks with his agent.

29 HR .480 OBP in '07 suggests he still can hit the ball.

Defensive wise?

He very well could be done. Last season he was horrific when roaming left field; almost laughable at times.

None of this probably matters anyhow. I can't see the Federal Court granting Barry permission to travel out of the country with a pending perjury charge on his back.

It might be time to call it a career big guy.
[ Author: Jbroks86 | Posted: Feb 23, 2008 11:31 AM | SFT Fan ]

As I said in another topic, I want to see some actual proof that teams have contacted Bonds.

Just because the over-imaginative minds at some major websites or newspapers, whose job it is to sell papers, or through empty threats by agents trying to get MLB teams to sign players by saying "my client will go play in Japan if no MLB team signs him" isn't enough proof for me.

This same rumor has come up for numerous big name players in the past: Sammy Sosa, Bonds, Piazza, and Ugueth Urbina. If I had a dime for every time I heard that one of these players could play in Japan, I'd be rich.

There is no way any of these players are going to accept to play in Japan for the amount of money that NPB teams will give them. Add that on top of the steroid questions surrounding Bonds, the fact he's a mental head-case and that everything has to revolve him (which will not mesh well in Japan), and that the fact that there is an impending perjury charge, there is no way they are letting him leave the country.

It's time to turn the page on this story.
[ Author: torakichi | Posted: Feb 20, 2008 3:53 PM | HT Fan ]

- Some baseball officials believe that Bonds might seek a one-year contract in Japan, where he is beloved.

Haha! By who?
About

This is a site about Pro Yakyu (Japanese Baseball), not about who the next player to go over to MLB is. It's a community of Pro Yakyu fans who have come together to share their knowledge and opinions with the world. It's a place to follow teams and individuals playing baseball in Japan (and Asia), and to learn about Japanese (and Asian) culture through baseball.

It is my sincere hope that once you learn a bit about what we're about here that you will join the community of contributors.

Michael Westbay
(aka westbaystars)
Founder

Search for Pro Yakyu news and information
Copyright (c) 1995-2024 JapaneseBaseball.com.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons License.
Some rights reserved.