Adjust Font Size: A A       Guest settings   Register

Miceli Picked up by Red Sox

Discussion in the Nichi-Bei forum
Miceli Picked up by Red Sox
The Boston Red Sox today announced that they have signed relievers Den Kolb and Dan Miceli to minor league contracts. Is this the same Dan Miceli that posts on this website, or is it just a coincidence?
Comments
Re: Miceli Picked up by Red Sox
[ Author: westbaystars | Posted: Jan 24, 2008 1:07 PM | YBS Fan ]

When I read that in today's Nikkan Sports, my thought was that this is another MLB PR piece. The reason I thought that is because they were hyping the fact that Okajima and Miceli were once team mates with the Yomiuri Giants. But what they left out was that Miceli couldn't buy an out while throwing with the Giants and that their time together was very short. That leads me to believe that the person who wrote the PR piece didn't know what Miceli did (or more accurately - didn't do) with the Yomiuri Giants. Thus, the article must have been written by a Major League public relations "reporter."

I really am starting to believe that the MLB is paying the Japanese press to run PR stories for them.

P.S. The "Dan Miceli" who writes here on occasion has stated that he uses the pseudonym as an ironic gesture to how Miceli did with the Giants. Or something to that effect.
[ Author: BigManZam | Posted: Jan 24, 2008 1:20 PM | CLM Fan ]

The poster who goes by the handle of "Dan Miceli" actually hates the guy who pitched for the Yomiuri Giants. This has been discussed before.

While we're on the topic of Miceli, I have to say that he's probably one of the most popular foreign players to fail in NPB history. I don't think anyone who can't understand Japanese knows how famous he is among baseball fans. I'd say he's easily in the top 5. There have been popular failures before, but the fact that Miceli played for the Giants, had a role as important as closer, and then said all the wrong things to the media led to a snowballing effect. He became a legend in Japan for all the wrong reasons and he probably wouldn't be able to match that recognition even as a successful player.

I think all the really bad failures in NPB's past help future players not repeat those same mistakes. I like the fact that we're seeing more and more players coming to Japan with positive mentalities and a will to learn. The old stereotype of the spoiled, out of shape, past his prime Major Leaguer is slowly disappearing. Part of the reason for this is because teams aren't signing these types anymore, since they rarely lead to anything good.
[ Author: Dan Miceli | Posted: Feb 3, 2008 4:43 PM ]

NipponHam11, I look forward with great anticipation to Dan Miceli's spring training debut with the Red Sox.

I'm sure he'll show up in tip-top shape, perhaps hungrier than ever to revive his sagging career, and help the Red Sox to another World Series title.
[ Author: TimMac | Posted: Feb 6, 2008 11:33 PM ]

I'd say the odds of Miceli making the Sox are about the same as Powell winning 20 for Orix this year.
[ Author: NipponHam11 | Posted: Feb 7, 2008 7:29 AM | SFT Fan ]

I don't have much hope for Miceli either, but if this is any indication, I think Miceli has a better chance to make the roster than Dan Kolb.
[ Author: Jbroks86 | Posted: Feb 7, 2008 9:58 AM | SFT Fan ]

- I think Miceli has a better chance to make the roster than Dan Kolb.

Of course that doesn't mean much, no MLB team (minus maybe the Houston Astros) would put Dan Kolb on a MLB roster, much less the Boston Red Sox. Miceli is here to fill a role for AAA Pawtucket. And even with that said, I don't think he will last the whole season in AAA either.
About

This is a site about Pro Yakyu (Japanese Baseball), not about who the next player to go over to MLB is. It's a community of Pro Yakyu fans who have come together to share their knowledge and opinions with the world. It's a place to follow teams and individuals playing baseball in Japan (and Asia), and to learn about Japanese (and Asian) culture through baseball.

It is my sincere hope that once you learn a bit about what we're about here that you will join the community of contributors.

Michael Westbay
(aka westbaystars)
Founder

Search for Pro Yakyu news and information
Copyright (c) 1995-2024 JapaneseBaseball.com.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons License.
Some rights reserved.