Adjust Font Size: A A       Guest settings   Register

Minister Complains About Matsuzaka

Discussion in the Nichi-Bei forum
Minister Complains About Matsuzaka
The Japanese Finance Minister Omi has complained about NHK's blanket coverage of Matsuzaka. He has basically told them to stop it and go back to reporting real news. Having been watching at the times he complained about (7.00 am) I can say he has a point. The level NHK have reached is ridiculous.
Comments
Re: Minister Complains About Matsuzaka
[ Author: Jbroks86 | Posted: Apr 11, 2007 1:35 AM | SFT Fan ]

If you think the Matsuzaka coverage is bad now, then wait for tomorrow's game between Seattle and Boston, and then it will be crazy.

This was expected with Matsuzaka's debut. He was moving to the majors, and they were going to follow Matsuzaka's every step down to the smallest detail.

Maybe it's me, but don't you think the Finance Minister has better things to complain about?

Finally, what does Omi-san think the whole Matsuzaka thing is? Sports are a big part of the news and Matsuzaka is part of this, and is big news to the Japanese public.
[ Author: Christopher | Posted: Apr 11, 2007 8:47 AM | HAN Fan ]

It's bad enough already. There are far more important things than Matsuzaka, especially as we are talking about the national broadcaster. NHK is rather like the BBC - it is expected to provide high quality coverage on a range of news issues. Unlike say Fuji or Asahi which are private channels, it has a public service responsibility, especially as it is funded by the public through license fees.

So whilst Matsuzaka is big sports news, he is not the most important thing on the planet. He is also not the most important thing to the Japanese public. Remember, he came from Seibu who are hardly the most popular team in Japan. So whilst people wish him well, they do not necessarily want to be inflicted with non-stop coverage from the national broadcaster to the detriment of its responsibilities.

He's not as important as the media hype makes out, and part of the obsession with him is that NHK needs to justify the fortune it is spending on MLB games.
[ Author: mijow | Posted: Apr 11, 2007 10:11 AM | HT Fan ]

- Remember, he came from Seibu who are hardly the most popular team in Japan.

That's irrelevant because he was a national celebrity before he was even drafted by Seibu. Even I (the rabid Tigers fan that I am) have been following his career with interest. I think his popularity transcends team loyalty. I got up at 3 am to watch Matsuzaka's first game live, and I'm sure I wasn't alone. I wouldn't do that for many other players.

A certain amount of media interest is justified - after all, the Red Sox shelled out over $100 million for him - but I agree the coverage is verging on the obsessive.

As you say, NHK is a public broadcaster and should be mindful of their public responsibility, but I believe NHK is serving the public interest by broadcasting the games of such a national icon. The problem I have with the coverage is the trivia, the reporters delving into every nook and cranny of his personal life, etc.

What I'm saying is show the games by all means - there is public interest, and I'm glad NHK is covering them (as they've covered Nomo, Ichiro, and Matsui games) - but leave the fluff to the commercial channels.

Anyway, at least it's better than wall-to-wall coverage of Imus and Anna Nicole Smith.
[ Author: mijow | Posted: Apr 11, 2007 11:36 AM | HT Fan ]

I just noticed this AP article (from the Mainichi Daily News) which appears to back me up. NHK certainly isn't driving this interest - it's responding to it. The finance minister may have a point, in a boring fuddy-duddyish bean-counting kind of way - but the public is definitely clamoring for more.
[ Author: Christopher | Posted: Apr 11, 2007 12:56 PM | HAN Fan ]

I think it might be too much to call him a national icon yet. As Rob Whiting notes in his article in the Japan Times, he rather nose-dived once he joined Seibu. Now, he is becoming more popular, but he has a long way to go before he reaches Matsui or Ichiro status, say.

I also have no problem with NHK broadcasting the games, but the blanket news coverage was the issue.
[ Author: mijow | Posted: Apr 11, 2007 6:22 PM | HT Fan ]

Yeah, well that national icon reference was slightly tongue-in-cheek. But he's certainly an icon for some. Certainly the people I hang out with regard him with the deepest respect.

But nose-dived? I couldn't find any reference to that in Whiting's article. You may be exaggerating just a touch.

We appear to agree on the main point, though.
[ Author: BigManZam | Posted: Apr 11, 2007 6:51 PM | CLM Fan ]

I'd rather have stupid irrelevant sports news than malicious propaganda designed to mold minds. Japanese news always goes overboard with things anyway. Japanese people seem to like overdosing on information, then forgetting about it all after a short period of time. Remember all the Beckham coverage in 2002? Yikes.
[ Author: Guest: Cheese | Posted: Apr 11, 2007 11:50 PM ]

I think everyone is overlooking the big match up tomorrow. Well at least in the Japanese media. The most interesting match up for me is Felix Hernandez vs. Daisuke Matsuzaka.

Hernandez has awesome stuff, just turned 21, and is the real deal. Two of the most exciting young pitchers in MLB going at it! Cant wait!

In saying that it will be great to see Ichiro leadoff against Daisuke. Am I correct in recalling Matsuzaka fanning Ichiro 3 times in his rookie year in his first start against Orix?
[ Author: Jbroks86 | Posted: Apr 12, 2007 7:03 AM | SFT Fan ]

- Am I correct in recalling Matsuzaka fanning Ichiro 3 times in his rookie year in his first start against Orix?

According to Nikkan Sports' Matsuzaka special, you're correct. Matsuzaka struck out Ichiro three times on May 16, 1999 in his first start against the BlueWave. [Career NPB Strikeouts Nikkan Sports - in English]
[ Author: Guest: Cheese | Posted: Apr 12, 2007 11:49 AM ]

Cheers John! Just watched the game, Felix stole the show! Wanted to see Daisuke get the win, but it's hard to deny Hernandez the win. Great ground ball to fly out ratio.
About

This is a site about Pro Yakyu (Japanese Baseball), not about who the next player to go over to MLB is. It's a community of Pro Yakyu fans who have come together to share their knowledge and opinions with the world. It's a place to follow teams and individuals playing baseball in Japan (and Asia), and to learn about Japanese (and Asian) culture through baseball.

It is my sincere hope that once you learn a bit about what we're about here that you will join the community of contributors.

Michael Westbay
(aka westbaystars)
Founder

Search for Pro Yakyu news and information
Copyright (c) 1995-2024 JapaneseBaseball.com.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons License.
Some rights reserved.