Adjust Font Size: A A       Guest settings   Register

Bobby V Calls for

Discussion in the Nichi-Bei forum
Bobby V Calls for "True" World Series Again
"It's Time for Japan-US Showdown" - FOX Sports

You know, I think Valentine actually has a point in the above linked article. The Marines swept the Tigers and looked very good doing it. They're playing at such a high level now that they have a fighting chance at actually winning the would-be True World Series.
Comments
Re: Bobby V Calls for "True" World Series Again
[ Author: Guest: wadew | Posted: Oct 27, 2005 1:44 PM ]

Marines vs. White Sox! Probably will never happen, but I'd like to see it.
Corrections to Article
[ Author: westbaystars | Posted: Oct 27, 2005 2:24 PM | YBS Fan ]

There were a couple things about that article on FOX Sports that weren't exactly right.

First of all, the link to the Tigers goes to Detroit. That's probably an automation flaw in the software they use to insert "relavent" links.

Second, there was this quote:
Since Japanese baseball went to a two-league system in 1950, only six teams have swept the Japan Series.
I don't understand how they counted sweeps. If one counts it as winning four games out of four, then here is a list of Nippon Series sweeps:
  1. 1959 - Nankai vs. Giants
  2. 1960 Taiyo vs. Mainichi-Taiei
  3. 1990 - Seibu vs. Giants
  4. 2002 - Giants vs. Seibu
  5. 2005 - Lotte vs. Hanshin
As you can see, this is only the 5th sweep by such a definition.

However, ties have come into play twice:
  • 1957 - Nishitetsu vs. Giants - Nishitetsu won games 1-3 and 5, tying game 4.
  • 1975 - Hankyu vs. Hiroshima - Hankyu won games 2, 3, 5, 6, tying games 1 and 4.
That brings the total number of "no-loss" sweeps to seven. (Source: October 27, 2005 issue of Nikkan Sports, tables on pages 2 and 6.)

Finally, the article said:
He's the only foreigner to manage in the Japan Series and only the fifth to head a team in the 70-year history of the league.
While I don't challenge the first half of the statement, I'm pretty sure that he's not just the fifth foreigner to manage in Japan. Here's the list of foreign managers I have over the last 70 years:
  • 1953 Tadashi Wakabayashi - Mainichi (Born in U.S.A. - may have been Japanese national)
  • 1958-1959 Yoshio Tanaka (Hawaiian)
  • 1968 Hiroshi Ohshita - Toei (Born in Taiwan - may have been Japanese national)
  • 1972-1977 Kaname Yonamine - Giants (Hawaiian)
  • 1975 Joe Lutz - Hiroshima
  • 1979-1980 Don Blasingame - Hanshin
    1981-1982 Don Blasingame - Nankai
  • 1982-1983 Seiji Sekiguchi - Kintetsu (Born in Taiwan, high school in Taipei.)
  • 1995, 2004-? Bobby Valentine - Lotte
  • 2003-? Trey Hillman - Nippon Ham
  • 2003 Leon Lee - Orix

As you can see, even discounting a couple of managers born outside of Japan who I belive were considered Japanese (Wakabayashi and Ohshita), there have been more than five foreign managers in Japanese baseball. Where did FOX Sports get the number five from?

Re: Corrections to Article
[ Author: Mischa | Posted: Oct 27, 2005 7:53 PM | TYS Fan ]

I never expect FOX to get any facts right, so am hardly surprised that they can't count past 5. I think they got the number five by adding all the guys with "American-sounding" names, ignoring Yonamine and the other Hawaiian or Taiwanese managers.
[ Author: Sharks410 | Posted: Oct 27, 2005 11:47 PM ]

Whatever drugs you people are on, please give me some.

There is no way that a series between the White Sox and the Marines would be competitive. There are a million reasons why this would be a joke. For example, the pitching is far better in the MLB than in Japan. Matsui, Taguchi, and (most notably) Iguchi hit horribly during the playoffs. I know that it's a small sample size, but it's what we have.

MLB pitching during the playoffs is a lot different that during the regular season. Bobby Jenks would mow down the Japanese batters with his 100 MPH fastball. The White Sox starting pitching would overpower the Japanese players. What makes people think that if the best players from North America and the other Latino countries can't hit the White Sox pitching that the Japanese players plus the gaijin castoffs from the U.S. can?

I think that Valentine made these comments to appease the Japanese baseball fans.

Crazy.
[ Author: Kiyoshi | Posted: Oct 28, 2005 9:02 AM | HAN Fan ]

Valentine did not make his statemebnts to appease anyone. Right or wrong, that is how he felt at the moment of the Marines victory.
[ Author: Guest: The Duke | Posted: Oct 30, 2005 2:54 PM ]

So then Bobby was just taken with the glorious moment, and with himself, again?
[ Author: mijow | Posted: Oct 28, 2005 9:37 AM | HT Fan ]

- What makes people think that if the best players from North America and the other Latino countries can't hit the White Sox pitching that the Japanese players plus the gaijin castoffs from the U.S. can?

Let's see (note: this is slightly tongue in cheek)...
  1. The Japanese team would be more committed to winning. White Sox players would be in holiday mode.

2. It depends on where the series is held and under what conditions. If they used Japanese balls, how would the White Sox pitchers deal with that?

3. The 2004 Hanshin Tigers beat the Yankees last year. The 2005 Marines would have no trouble defeating the majority of MLB teams. The White Sox would be stiffer opponents for sure, but the series would at least be competitive.

4. Favorites sometimes lose. Think of the oh-so-confident Canadian and US hockey teams in the Sapporo winter Olympics. Neither team made the final.

5. What are you guys afraid of? If you're so good, prove it. Bring it on!
[ Author: Guest: The Duke | Posted: Oct 30, 2005 2:56 PM ]

Send your fellas over to the U.S., endure jet lag and weird food, then let's see what they've got.
[ Author: Yakulto | Posted: Oct 28, 2005 9:41 AM | TYS Fan ]

- Whatever drugs you people are on, please give me some.

No drugs here, just a few too many cups of tea.

While I imagine the White Sox would ultimately win any series, I think you are selling the Marines (and Japanese baseball) a little short. Yes the White Sox pitching would be tough on the Marines batters, but I think you are forgetting that the best of Japanese pitching can cause MLB batters more than a little trouble as well. And I think Shimizu, Watanabe, and co. fall into this category.

I don't think it's as black and white as you imagine.
[ Author: locked_up | Posted: Oct 28, 2005 10:50 AM | SL Fan ]

Bobby Jenks will rarely hit 100mph. sharks410, I think you're over stating that Jenks will mow down the Japanese hitters with his 100mph fastball.
Whatever
[ Author: BigManZam | Posted: Oct 28, 2005 11:14 AM | CLM Fan ]

I've followed both teams all season, and they just happen to represent both my home bases in Japan and the US. Anyway, it would be competitive. I don't know if you're a Sox fan who just happens to not like or know anything about the Marines. I know both teams very well and know what they're capable of, and it would be a great series. The only thing I can see working against the Marines is the whole intimidation factor of facing a World Series winner, but Valentine would help them eliminate that.
[ Author: Jingu Bleacher Bum | Posted: Oct 28, 2005 12:15 PM | YAK Fan ]

I'm going to have to disagree with you on this one Sharks410. While I don't believe that the Lotte Marines would win a "true" World Series, I also don't think it would be a breeze for the White Sox. I can see Lotte winning at least 1 game, possibly 2 if they get some good advance scouting.

In regards to Japanese players hitting horribly in the playoffs, I seem to remember Matsui doing some big damage to Boston last year in the playoffs, and Iguchi hitting a go-ahead home run this year against Boston. As far as 100 mph hitters "mowing down Japanese batters," Yokohama's Mark Kroon wasn't exactly perfect this year against Japanese batters. Rob Dibble comes to mind as well when talking about high octane pitchers.

Also, as for a reference to how good MLB pitching is, just take a look through MLB.com for past stats of the "All-Star" squads MLB has sent over to Japan, and how they've faired. I seem to remember Roger Clemens getting roughed up a bit, and I also recall a Japanese pitcher named Daisuke Matsuzaka "mowing down" MLB All-Stars, as well as Koji Uehara striking out Barry Bonds 3 times in one game during the 2002 tour.
[ Author: Guest: null | Posted: Oct 28, 2005 12:21 PM ]

I've been following both the Japanese leagues and the Major Leagues for years now. While I admit that the level of play in the Majors is above than that in Japan, people aware of both leagues must also be aware that the disparity between the leagues is getting smaller every year.

A couple of things. Power pitching does not necessarily make a pitcher better than others who may not throw as fast as him. Clearly you haven't been following the Japanese leagues, and thus are not even in a place to make any comments regarding the different levels of play. If you were following what's going on in Japan this year, you would know that Kroon of the Yokohama BayStars routinely hits 99mph and has hit 100mph on the radar gun. That must mean he's the best pitcher in the league right?!? Well, no. I'll take Iwase, Ishii, or any of the JFKs before Kroon, all who throw at least about 4mph slower than Kroon.

Coming back to the Chicago White Sox vs. Lotte Marines. Valentine probably doesn't believe that the Marines are the better team. He probably does believe that with the Marines' momentum they have right now, in a short series, they could beat the best of teams. This could very likely be true. Not taking anything away from the Marines, but the Softbank Hawks are probably better than they are (that's why they came out first after a 130-something game schedule). I'm sure even Valentine will admit to them to being the better team, but the Marines were just on a roll, and they could very well defeat any team out there.

While I'm ripping apart your comment, I may as well add some other comments. Yes, the sample size of the Japanese players doing "horribly during the playoffs" is indeed small. Matsui may have played horribly in the playoffs, and despite that he has a .319 average in post-season play, with an OPS over .900. Yeah buddy, that's horrible. Taguchi and Iguchi clearly do not have enough at-bats in the post-season for us to be able to come a conclusion about their playing abilities.
[ Author: Guest: John Brooks | Posted: Oct 28, 2005 1:04 PM ]

- There is no way that a series between the White Sox and the Marines would be competitive.

How do we know this? MLB refuses to play in a exhibition series against the NPB Nippon Series Champion.

- For example, the pitching is far better in the MLB than in Japan.

I'm sure not convinced of this statement either. Chiba Lotte's team posted a 3.22 ERA [2005 Lotte Stats - Borisov's Pro Yakyu]. The White Sox' ERA was a total 3.61 ERA [2005 White Sox Stats - MLB.com].

Also, while pitching isn't weak by any stretch of the imagination in the majors, neither is it in Japan. The starting pitching and closers are on par with the major leagues by far. Matsuzaka of the Seibu Lions is better than a lot of the MLB starters I see in the majors now.

- There are a million reasons why this would be a joke.

How is this series a joke? It would be a true World Championship, unlike the World Baseball Classic. We, as fans, deserve this instead of Bud Selig and the MLBPA's rigged World Baseball Classic which serves to no one but the benefit of MLB and the MLBPA.

- Matsui, Taguchi, and (most notably) Iguchi hit horribly during the playoffs.

Matsui hit .263 with a HR and 4 RBI's in the World Series [Baseball-Reference], which is average and far from horrible. Taguchi batted only 4 times in the World Series going 1-4 with a RBI [Baseball-Reference], that was hardly a reliable set of data to make a reliable analysis on. Iguchi might have batted .167 (3-18), but I mean, come on. What proof do you have to seriously say how Japanese players will peform based on these performances? This is a flawed set of "facts" presented here to attempt to disprove Bobby Valentine's call for a true World Series.

- MLB pitching during the playoffs is a lot different that during the regular season.

So is NPB pitching in the playoffs. This is another terrible statement to disprove Bobby Valentine's call for a true World Series. I mean, do you seriously think that MLB is the only league with clutch pitching?

- The White Sox starting pitching would overpower the Japanese players.

Again, seriously, how do we even know? MLB won't let us find out. Second, I think you're seriously getting carried away here in the difference between the White Sox and Chiba Lotte Marines. You're starting to sound ethnocentric to a very high degree.

- What makes people think that if the best players from North America and the other Latino countries can't hit the White Sox pitching that the Japanese players plus the gaijin castoffs from the U.S. can?

The White Sox outplayed the Astros simply put, that's why. Next, to suggest that "what makes you think that the Japanese players plus the gaijin castoffs from the U.S. can?" is one of the most ingorant posts I have read here, because of the blatant lack of knowledge it shows and disrepect it shows.

The NPB, again, is on an equal level with the Majors in my opinion, as the level of play there is on the major league level and the players there are of major league caliber by far.

- I think that Valentine made these comments to appease the Japanese baseball fans.

Valentine never made this comment to appease anyone. Any person with any sense can see that a true World Series between the NPB Champion and the MLB Champion would be a much better alternative than the World Baseball Classic. The World Baseball Classic is designed to only favor MLB and the MLBPA alone, and is basically a series of all-star exhibition games. A true World Series wouldn't be an all-star series basically.
[ Author: Chiroman | Posted: Oct 28, 2005 5:03 PM ]

Sharks 410,

Bobby Valentine and the Marines played with pure heart and guts. Baseball is not about individual basis. It's not about some fat guy like Jenks throwing 96mph or juiced up guys like Konerko, Dye, Everett, or Pierzynski hitting home runs. It's about Total Team Concept.

You can have a team loaded up with power and talent and still be mediocre. For example, the Yankees with their $200 million payroll didn't make it past the first round of the play-offs despite being supposedly the best team in baseball. The White Sox did win by playing as a team, but not like the way the Marines played as a team. The Marines are a bunch of guys that can scrap! I say the Marines can definitely beat the White Sox in five, best-of-seven, all games played in Chicago.

The White Sox will never accept the challenge from Bobby Valentine because they are uncertain about the outcome and are a little scared. All the pressure is on the Major League players, not the Japanese league players, so I can see them choking and rolling-over. Anyone who poorly judges the level of play in the Japanese league is in for a rude awakening.

Let's Get It On!
[ Author: locked_up | Posted: Oct 28, 2005 5:39 PM | SL Fan ]

Sharks410 is being very baised. He might be a hardcore White Sox fan.
[ Author: Sharks410 | Posted: Oct 28, 2005 11:58 PM ]

Hello westbaystars,

Waiting for your reply on this topic. I am interested in hearing an opinion from you.

Interesting isn't it. I am not a White Sox fan but, if you follow eBay Japanese Baseball Cards, you will know who I am. I keep track of all Japanese players coming into the US.

"Other than Ichiro Suzuki, no other major-league player has had to overcome obstacles similar to Matsui's, both professional and cultural. That .311 average and 64 RBIs carry greater weight when you realize Matsui arrived in the big leagues without any weapons to combat the cut-fastball and sinking two-seamer -- two pitches that are virtually non-existent in Japan.

Even the traditional four-seam fastball posed a threat to Matsui, since Japanese pitches don't throw nearly as hard as major leaguers."
[ Author: westbaystars | Posted: Oct 29, 2005 1:15 AM | YBS Fan ]

I'm afraid that I'm not a collector, so sorry, I don't recognize you.

There's very little for me to say that hasn't already been said. Your statements looked like troll bait to me, and I don't generally reply to trolls. But you have been a member for longer than many of those who replied, and you did ask nicely, so you are deserving of a reply.

While you think there are a million reasons for Bobby's challenge to be considered a joke, I don't see the humor in it. Like others, I've been arguing for a real world championship rather than yet another all star game for many years.

The Konami Asia Cup coming up next month is something I see as a first step to a true world championship. Japan is taking the risk that one of the leagues that many feel are inferior to NPB may actually win the short series. Just as MLB is going to have to accept the risk one day that one of the Asian representatives may defeat them in a short series.

I fear that with the coming Asia Cup that some of the games are going to be rather lopsided, and should a world championship ever take place, there may be some one-sided games the first year or two. But the thing is, exposure to a league that is percieved as "better" will help raise the level of the "lesser" team.

Let me go off on a tangent for a little bit. Back in high school I played on the school's tennis team. I was mediocre at best, and only won a few matches over three years. But the best matches I ever played were against people way better than me. Sure, I lost. But I felt like I'd just played the best I had in my life. I played above my ability because my oppenent forced me to.

How many ball players do you see do the cross thing over their body when they go to bat, or in thanks to their god after hitting a home run? That's faith at work. Believing in oneself via a supernatural being. Well, Valentine-kantoku has given the Chiba Lotte Marines faith in themselves (just less the supernatural being). This faith can have a huge effect on performance, especially over a short series. Now combine that faith with playing well against a percieved superior team. If just one ball bounces their way, it will have a rippling effect on their collective self confidence, and I truely believe that the Marines could well win a seven game series against the North American champion.

Sadly, I don't think that MLB will find it in their best interest to entertain the idea of a True World Series. The North American sports writers have shown an attitude similar to yours time and time again without first even attempting research into NPB. It just seems to me that the U.S. is quickly losing faith in itself as a whole, and resorts to blindly insisting that it's superior to the rest of the world in everything, dissing professional baseball in other countries, and completely ignoring international baseball organizations like the IBAF (International Baseball Federation) which already holds a Baseball World Cup. To have a MLB team lose a World Cup to any team not made up of MLB players would cause far too much harm to MLB and the United States' phyche that it simply will not happen any time soon. An exhibition game not televised in the U.S., like when Hanshin killed the New York Yankees a couple years ago would be OK, but the powers-that-be in MLB will not allow anything official to happen in this regard.

P.S. Your quote looks familiar, but you don't site the source. Is it something Albright-san wrote a couple years ago?
[ Author: mvk20! | Posted: Oct 29, 2005 3:24 AM | YG Fan ]

In comparing the quality of NPB and MLB, one has to take into account that even if it is acknowledged that the NPB has a lower overall level of talent, it is spread out over 12 teams instead of 30, so the individual teams in question might be a lot more equal than one might think. I have a hard time believing that the White Sox are so superior to the Marines. I think it would be a great series, but one that we have very little chance of seeing any time soon.
[ Author: Guest: John Brooks | Posted: Oct 29, 2005 5:42 AM ]

"P.S. Your quote looks familiar, but you don't site the source. Is it something Albright-san wrote a couple years ago?"

That quote comes from one of ESPN Bob Klapisch's July 11th, 2003 article. [Link]
[ Author: Sharks410 | Posted: Oct 29, 2005 8:15 AM ]

Thanks for your reply!

Very emotional issues isn't it. I am surprised that you think my comments are troll bait. I just expressed an opinion. I don't even know what troll bait is?

Also, a reply to your statement - "It just seems to me that the U.S. is quickly losing faith in itself as a whole, and resorts to blindly insisting that it's superior to the rest of the world in everything, dissing professional baseball in other countries, and completely ignoring international baseball organizations like the IBAF (International Baseball Federation) which already holds a Baseball World Cup. To have a MLB team lose a World Cup to any team not made up of MLB players would cause far too much harm to MLB and the United States' phyche that it simply will not happen any time soon."

I cannot agree totally with your statement since most MLB teams are made up of players that are not from the USA. This is not a "superior" issue but rather a "$$$" issue. The professional players here in the US are so greedy that unless there is monetary gain, they don't want to bother. And, what owner would want to risk having a multi-million dollar player get hurt or expose him to additional physical stress without any monetary compensation?

Additionally, the lack of US born baseball players is a problem that has been discussed a lot within the baseball media. Kids are no longer playing baseball and thus a lot of the talent is coming from other countries (esp. Latin America).

However, I do agree that the MLB has too much to lose. The MLB has enough issues - still no control of steroids (lame policy) and inadequate umpires who make the wrong call. I doubt that they want to add another item to their plate.

The article that I cited was from the ESPN (By Bob Klapisch) [Link]

Thanks again.
[ Author: Guest: The Duke | Posted: Oct 30, 2005 3:15 PM ]

I popped in again because, there you go again Westbaystars. Ah, the jingoism is sweating from your pores again Westbatstars-san. You always have to interject a little dig at the USA every chance you get. What a great leap of logic, from talking about some sportswriters possibly inaccurately portraying NPB to ALL of America losing faith in itself so it bashes poor NPB. What utter drivel! We could talk about the rising militarism by unrehabilitated imperialists in the Japanese government, or should I say gun-vernment, but that is off topic and is irrelevant to Japanese baseball as your political analyses.

I think a real World Series would be tough to schedule. The season is already running into mid October. For a best of seven series, which would be fair and the space between games for jet lag recovery, baseball could run well into Novemeber. That's a bit long, don't you think?

And really, should we really take Bobby V. seriously when he shoots his mouth as usual in a moment of exhultation? He did a great job with The Marines, but I don't think he has thought the logistics through.

Sweet closing on the damage to our psyche if we lost to an NPB team. First, do you think our psyche is that fragile? Second, you really think we care?

Please don't damage your credibility Westbay-san with your baselees diversions into your own self-hate of America.
[ Author: Guest: John Brooks | Posted: Oct 29, 2005 5:35 AM ]

- That .311 average and 64 RBIs carry greater weight when you realize Matsui arrived in the big leagues without any weapons to combat the cut-fastball and sinking two-seamer ...

Say what? Hideki Matsui has hit over 100 RBI's in all 3 of his major league seasons so far. So I have no clue where you got the 64 RBIs from. Hideki Matsui has proven by far he can hit Major League pitching. He's been a All-Star in 2 of his 3 years, and was snubbed by Scott Podesdnik who he outplayed by far this year.

Again, Iguchi proved the doubters wrong who doubted him and had a .278, 15 HRs, and 71 RBI's season. He had 15 SBs, 142 hits, and played with exceptional fielding. I remember the one topic here, where people here swore that Bellhorn was going to outperform Iguchi, where is Bellhorn now, warming the bench for the Yankees about ready to file for free agency soon.

Taguchi hit .288 with 8 HRs and 53 RBI and 11 SBs. He had 114 hits, 21 2Bs, in 114 games and just 396 at bats. He played great for Walker and Sanders. Taguchi has been a great player, who should be the one who starts in right field in my opinion next year for St.Louis.

Ohka continued to shine this year, he went 11-9 with a 4.04 ERA, and is one of MLB's most underrated pitchers. Ohtsuka has been a great set-up man to Trevor Hoffman, and is the perfect replacement to Trevor Hoffman shall he leave or retire.

We all know Nomo and Kaz Sasaki had great careers, too. Hasegawa has a great career as a relief pitcher and is still going strong. Even Takatsu wasn't as bad as put out as he was to be, Chicago just never pitched him this year with Hermanson. Kaz Matsui has been a unforunate situation, though even he had a decent rookie season and we never have seen him play in a full healthy season.

I'm still think you're way carried away in your statement by far and standing by my earlier statement.
[ Author: Guest: Sean | Posted: Oct 29, 2005 5:38 AM ]

It's not drugs. If you haven't noticed, the last several years a team of MLB all-stars has gone to Japan to play the Japanese all-stars. Last year the Japanese All-Stars won 3 games out of 8 [Nichi-Bei History - MLB.com]. The MLB team had that year's Cy Young winner Roger Clemons and Jeff Bagwell (not injured) to name a few of the stars. Japanese baseball in on par with MLB, wake up.
[ Author: Guest: Jim Albright | Posted: Oct 31, 2005 9:38 AM ]

Looking at in the context of my projection systems, it would likely be a competitive series. This view doesn't account for the impact of front line talent, which is the key in a short playoff. However, over the whole season, the Marines might have been a tad better.

The White Sox scored 741 and allowed 645, which should translate to a .569 won-lost percentage. They exceeded that mark due to luck or other factors. The Marines stats, when projected to the major leagues, indicate they should have scored 702 runs but allowed 593, which would lead to a .583 winning percentage. The projection of Marine stats used my conversion factors and essentially used component ERA, though I had to estimate batters faced by (IP * 2.836) plus hits and walks. The 2.836 figure came from Japan's 1992 through 2001 stats with (AB-H)/IP.

Should you wish to see a link to a more detailed workup of this data (everything for the Marines has been converted to major league equivalents), see here - Baseball-Fever]

Jim Albright
[ Author: Sharks410 | Posted: Nov 2, 2005 4:37 AM ]

After the beating that I took from everyone, I have to add the following:

From the latest JapanBall.com web site:
Jojima declares free agency for major league switch

"I understand Jojima wants to play at a higher level. But as manager, I want him to stay with us," Oh said, adding "I want him to think thoroughly and decide which way to go."
and
Matsuzaka abandons plans to move to major leagues

On Thursday, team representative Akira Kuroiwa told Matsuzaka that he was a "symbol" of the Seibu group and should continue as an important member of the Lions next season, although he understood the player's wish to put himself in a more challenging situation.
Maybe I was a little strong in suggesting that it wouldn't be competitive, but at least can we recognize that the MLB is at a higher level and more challenging?
[ Author: westbaystars | Posted: Nov 2, 2005 8:58 AM | YBS Fan ]

- Maybe I was a little strong in suggesting that it wouldn't be competitive, but at least can we recognize that the MLB is at a higher level and more challenging?

Nice middle ground, yes.

The general consensus (although there will be some who still strongly disagree) is that six of the starting nine for a Japanese team will be competitive against an MLB club (not all-star team, but your typical team), but that the substitute players drop at least one rank lower. Japanese teams lack the depth on the bench and in the farm that MLB teams have. As much as I'd like to see NPB expand to 16 teams, this is a major concern.

But back on topic, the Marines have not been your typical Japanese teams this year. Valentine-kantoku has played everybody, greatly improving the level of "substitute" players by having them be part-time regulars. He's filled in the gaps on the bench by pumping up the players and making them believe and giving them the chance to prove themselves - which they've done.

Granted, the White Sox have shown that they aren't a typical MLB team, which is what would make such a series very interesting.

P.S. IguchiFan, thanks for that link to Klapisch-san's article on ESPN. That's one of the best articles I've read on ESPN in a long time.
[ Author: IguchiFan | Posted: Nov 2, 2005 5:10 AM ]

ESPN's Bob Klapisch weighs in on Valentine's statement in this article.
[ Author: Guest: bob whiting | Posted: Nov 4, 2005 7:36 AM ]

For what it's worth, I interviewed Bobby Valentine in late September this year. I asked if he still stood by his statement of 1995 that the NPB had 100 players who could play in the MLB. He replied yes. Then I asked him how Lotte would do if they played an entire season in the MLB. Was there a division in which the Marines could finish .500. He thought for a moment and then said "Yes. The NL West." (I asked Matt Franco the same question and he said he didn't know. But he did say he thought the Marines were the best team in the NPB, not Softbank or Hanshin, and that if they were entered in the MLB they would be "competitive," and would not embarrass themselves.)

I think that after watching his team beat the Hawks and demolish Hanshin - and get the vindication he'd wanted in Japan since Hiroka fired him a decade ago - Valentine just got caught up in the moment and the huge high that his team was on and got a carried away in his remarks. Still, I vote for a RWS. Why not? What's the harm?
[ Author: Guest: Ed Kranepool | Posted: Nov 4, 2005 8:44 AM ]

I have to agree with Bobby's assessment, especially compared to the NL West.

If the logistics can be worked out, a global World Series would be fun. To be devil's advocate, what's the rationale for including just Japan vs the MLB team. Surely NPB is inarguably at least the #2 professional world league, but how does one exclude other professional leagues from the tourney?
[ Author: Guest: John Brooks | Posted: Nov 4, 2005 11:18 AM ]

- For a best of seven series, which would be fair and the space between games for jet lag recovery, baseball could run well into November. That's a bit long, don't you think?

Not exactly, they could play the series in Hawaii's Aloha Stadium. A perfect solution, it would be half way for both the teams playing in the series. Plus, the Asian Series is going into November, so I don't see the problem with a series going into November.

- If the logistics can be worked out, a global World Series would be fun. To be devil's advocate, what's the rationale for including just Japan vs the MLB team. Surely NPB is inarguably at least the #2 professional world league, but how does one exclude other professional leagues from the tourney?

I agree, this series would definetly be fun. Also, why not include the other Asian leagues as well (KBO, CPBL, and CBL)? They can have an Series in Hawaii at Aloha Stadium like I said earlier. It would be more interesting indeed with all of the Asian leagues.
[ Author: Chiroman | Posted: Nov 4, 2005 5:03 PM ]

Sharks 410,

What Oh and Kuroiwa were referring to as "more challenging situation" is their player's ability to adapt to the new environment in the Major Leagues. For example, MLB has a different mound, strike zone, natural grass, new culture, climate, language, food, etc.

Johjima and Matsuzaka have the right tools and stuff to be superstars in the Major Leagues. Will they be able to withstand the pressures and expectations to be successful in the Major Leagues? It's tough to go overseas, away from your family and friends and play like they did in NPB in ball parks they've never played in and with players they've never seen before. It's going to take some getting used to at first.

In addition, I do not think that Oh, Kuroiwa, and NPB would want to lose their players to MLB. NPB is a business just like MLB that would like to fill seats, too. NPB would like to remain competitive and interesting just like the Major Leagues.
[ Author: Guest: Ed Kranepool | Posted: Nov 4, 2005 5:39 PM ]

Then we're back to a baseball World Cup, and you know what? Such a tourney every 4 years to start would be OK by me. As Kapisch, wrote, go to 154 games for that year. Start the playoffs early. MLB and NPB get automatic bearths, the others have a tourney earlier and pick 2. Then a best of 5, then the Full Monty. Expand it from there.

Aloha Stadium? I don't know. The media buzz and the audience might be diminished. But it's a more neutral site and jet lag would be less of an issue. Time zone issues for broadcast might be a factor.

How about this idea? MLB has inter-league play during the season. What if that concept were included to include MLB vs NPB teams in Hawaii for a one week period? The games count. Maybe have 2 sessions like that tied to west coast road trips. Then you don't have to mess with the season. It could be the start of a new league rivalry - maybe ultimate integration. I like it.
[ Author: Guest: Ed Kranepool | Posted: Nov 4, 2005 5:41 PM ]

And I wouldn't limit it to Asian teams. Bring in the Cubans and the Mexican League champs. One day, maybe some European teams, if baseball catches on there.
About

This is a site about Pro Yakyu (Japanese Baseball), not about who the next player to go over to MLB is. It's a community of Pro Yakyu fans who have come together to share their knowledge and opinions with the world. It's a place to follow teams and individuals playing baseball in Japan (and Asia), and to learn about Japanese (and Asian) culture through baseball.

It is my sincere hope that once you learn a bit about what we're about here that you will join the community of contributors.

Michael Westbay
(aka westbaystars)
Founder

Search for Pro Yakyu news and information
Copyright (c) 1995-2024 JapaneseBaseball.com.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons License.
Some rights reserved.