Adjust Font Size: A A       Guest settings   Register

Favorite Team Suggestion

Discussion in the Administrative forum
Favorite Team Suggestion
I'm not a programmer so I have no idea how difficult it might be, or how time consuming, but how about adding an option to the profile page so registered users can declare which NPB team is their favorite? Maybe allowing each registered user to select one team from a drop down menu with all 12 teams listed? I think it might allow users to get to know the writers better, and allow us to show our team spirit!

I'm pretty sure the team name could fit in under the registered users name before each post. If implemented, you'd probably be able to keep stats on which teams are the favorites, and possibly even post those stats for us to see? It would be a nice option in my opinion, if you have time.
Comments
Re: Favorite Team Suggestion
[ Author: westbaystars | Posted: Apr 22, 2005 1:11 PM | YBS Fan ]

I like this idea. I have two big things I want to get done over Golden Week: Start gethering pitching/hitting data daily and finish incorporating the Wiki. This would be an excellent third goal.
[ Author: himself | Posted: Apr 24, 2005 12:27 AM | FSH Fan ]

I like this idea as well.
[ Author: westbaystars | Posted: Apr 24, 2005 11:03 PM | YBS Fan ]

OK. This was actually a pretty easy request to fill. I had the pull down menu under the user profile settings page going into the database and onto the posts within half an hour. But, how should the overall data be presented?

What I came up with is the pie chart that you should be seeing on the left on the top page and the main forums page. I hope to see the pie broken up into 12 pieces soon!

I had experimented with charts before, but was getting a lot of memory leaks with the package I was using. I've changed packages and hope that this doesn't become a problem again, but I won't know until this has run for a little while. If you start seeing "Out of memory errors," please post so below (when you can).

This was a fun little mini-project. And it's also great feedback for future studies into what teams are popular with the English speaking demographic. Thanks for the suggestion.
[ Author: Jingu Bleacher Bum | Posted: Apr 25, 2005 10:24 AM | YAK Fan ]

Thanks for implementing the suggestion. It'll be interesting to see which teams are the most popular, and maybe some students might be able to use the stats in future reports. I don't know what future plans you have for the chart and stats, but with the graph being so small, it's kind of hard to see which teams are what color, and how many fans each team has. Is there any way to perhaps make the graph larger on a separate page if clicked on?
[ Author: westbaystars | Posted: Apr 25, 2005 11:10 AM | YBS Fan ]

- [...] with the graph being so small, it's kind of hard to see which teams are what color, and how many fans each team has. Is there any way to perhaps make the graph larger on a separate page if clicked on?

Done. Is this size OK?
[ Author: Jingu Bleacher Bum | Posted: Apr 25, 2005 1:02 PM | YAK Fan ]

I can click on it, but I keep getting an error message. I tried in both Firefox and IE, and get the same message that looks like a java error?
[ Author: westbaystars | Posted: Apr 25, 2005 1:45 PM | YBS Fan ]

Argh. Please try again. I failed to include the necessary GUI component in my startup script. Sorry about that.
Registration Error
[ Author: Guest: steve | Posted: Apr 25, 2005 6:34 PM ]

Michael,

I've tried to register on my computer for about 6 months. I always get the java error. How can I fix it?
Re: Registration Error
[ Author: westbaystars | Posted: Apr 25, 2005 7:25 PM | YBS Fan ]

I'll need a little more information.

First, fill out the form on this page. Be sure to fill in information for the first five fields. Furthermore, the "Desired Username" and "Password" must be six or more characters long. For "Desired Username," please avoid special characters, especially quotes, brackets, and characters outside the standard U.S. A-Z alphabet (such as characters from Latin based languages). Numbers are OK.

Next, if you get an error, please cut and paste the details (an exception stack trace) as a follow up to this or as a new post here under Administration. Please also post any other information on what you did that might help me re-create the error.

Once I have the stack trace, I should be able to figure out where the error is happening.

Hope this helps.
[ Author: Christopher | Posted: Apr 25, 2005 7:44 PM | HAN Fan ]

I had no problem with the fan chart and was able to register my team easily. Great idea Michael.
Great Idea JBB
[ Author: westbaystars | Posted: Apr 25, 2005 10:23 PM | YBS Fan ]

- Great idea Michael.

Except it wasn't my idea. All credit goes to Jingu Bleacher Bum. (Try saying that name out loud three times fast.) He's had a number of great ideas, and I'm glad he's taken the time to propose them.

Three cheer for Jingu Bleacher Bum. Hurray, hurray!
Re: Great Idea JBB
[ Author: Heian-794 | Posted: Apr 25, 2005 10:31 PM | HT Fan ]

- Three cheer for Jingu Bleacher Bum. Hurray, hurray!

That's only two! ^_^; Hurray again!

And now I'm off to vote for the Tigers. Or maybe the Eagles.
[ Author: PLNara | Posted: Apr 26, 2005 9:29 AM | HT Fan ]

Agreed. This is awesome. I scored another point for Hanshin!

Well done!
[ Author: Yakulto | Posted: Apr 26, 2005 1:45 PM | TYS Fan ]

Great idea and good job!
[ Author: Jingu Bleacher Bum | Posted: Apr 26, 2005 10:12 AM | YAK Fan ]

- Except it wasn't my idea. All credit goes to Jingu Bleacher Bum.

Thanks for the credit, but you deserve all of it for this great site you're running. Now for my next great idea, I'll get NPB to pay you and all the translators who submit info for this site a salary for the work! (Hey, I can dream can't I?)
[ Author: Guest: steve | Posted: Apr 26, 2005 10:02 PM ]

Allright, maybe this will answer it......I was able to register through your link but I can't log in.

Jive Forums 2.2.0
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
The following error occurred. If you believe it to be a bug, please report it in the Jive support forums at: http://www.jivesoftware.com/community/
java.lang.NullPointerException
at java.net.URLEncoder.encode(URLEncoder.java:185)
at java.net.URLEncoder.encode(URLEncoder.java:149)
at org.apache.jsp.login_jsp._jspService(login_jsp.java:789)
at org.apache.jasper.runtime.HttpJspBase.service(HttpJspBase.java:133)
[...]
[ Author: westbaystars | Posted: Apr 26, 2005 11:32 PM | YBS Fan ]

OK. Line number 789 of login_jsp.java is a redirect to the referring page, which appears to be NULL in your case. Working with that information, I made sure that the browser's REFERER (your proxy may be blocking that header) always has something in it, so you should now be able to login (redirecting to the top page rather than the page you hit the login link from).

Let me know how it goes.
[ Author: badteacher | Posted: Apr 27, 2005 6:16 PM | CD Fan ]

It worked Michael. Thanks!
[ Author: torakichi | Posted: Apr 28, 2005 2:39 AM | HT Fan ]

No Buffaloes fans out there?
[ Author: BigManZam | Posted: May 5, 2005 8:55 AM | CLM Fan ]

Am I the only Marines fan?!
[ Author: Jingu Bleacher Bum | Posted: May 9, 2006 9:17 AM | YAK Fan ]

After the first year, there's already over 100 people who've entered their favorite teams. Although almost a third of the people are Hanshin fans, it seems there's a nice representation of all the teams, except Orix. I guess buy me a beer changed his mind. The Lions also have a bit more fans on this board than I'd imagined.
[ Author: Christopher | Posted: May 9, 2006 9:29 PM | HAN Fan ]

There used to be one - I don't know what happened to him.
About

This is a site about Pro Yakyu (Japanese Baseball), not about who the next player to go over to MLB is. It's a community of Pro Yakyu fans who have come together to share their knowledge and opinions with the world. It's a place to follow teams and individuals playing baseball in Japan (and Asia), and to learn about Japanese (and Asian) culture through baseball.

It is my sincere hope that once you learn a bit about what we're about here that you will join the community of contributors.

Michael Westbay
(aka westbaystars)
Founder

Search for Pro Yakyu news and information
Copyright (c) 1995-2024 JapaneseBaseball.com.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons License.
Some rights reserved.