Adjust Font Size: A A       Guest settings   Register

2009 Site Update

Discussion in the Administrative forum
2009 Site Update
As you may have noticed, I've uploaded the incomplete changes to the site for 2009. I had hoped to have this done back in February, but other work has forced this upgrade to the back burners.

However, navigation has been a major emphasis on the upgrade, and the problems people are having finding the right place to post questions - or finding that their questions have already been asked and answered - is starting to wear on my patience. Also, I thought that I had the revision's leaders board working, but a quick check shows that it isn't. Argh. I'll get that working soon.

I was really hoping to unveil the new and improved JapaneseBaseball.com under better circumstances (like completely tested), but that doesn't look possible. So now I need your help.

What pages are completely broken? Please post the URL or broken pages below. Those will get highest priority. Minor fixes like grammar and spelling can also be taken care of quickly. But major layout changes and functionality will take more time. Please be patient.

Despite the timing, I hope you enjoy the new look and feel.
Comments
Re: 2009 Site Update
[ Author: PLNara | Posted: Apr 26, 2009 3:04 AM | HT Fan ]

Well done Westbay-san! I'll take a look on a couple of browsers and let you know if I see anything.
[ Author: Guest: zman | Posted: Apr 30, 2009 4:27 AM ]

Looks great, using Safari to view the site.
[ Author: Guest: N26 | Posted: May 1, 2009 6:34 PM ]

It looks very nice. Thank you very much Westbay-san.
[ Author: Guest: N26 | Posted: May 5, 2009 8:21 PM ]

One question.

On the old site there used to be links to various articles from news papers and blogs which I enjoyed but now I seem to not be able to find them.
[ Author: westbaystars | Posted: May 5, 2009 9:03 PM | YBS Fan ]

I was told by more than one MLB team that links to blogs and news sites had zero value as the same thing can be had at numerous portals. (I wish they'd tell me which.) So the 1 to 5 hours a day I put into digging up articles is now greatly reduced to what I would normally read anyway and is in the Pro Yakyu News forum.

Sorry, it's just a matter of prioritizing my time, and that was taking too much with no return.

On the other hand, I hope that this move will increase the number of articles others point out. After I started doing the news feeds, it seems that many people stopped posting notices to other sites and news. Perhaps this will help encourage more participation in this form again.
[ Author: Mischa | Posted: May 6, 2009 12:12 AM | TYS Fan ]

- I was told by more than one MLB team that links to blogs and news sites had zero value as the same thing can be had at numerous portals.

Please don't cut back drastically because of what a couple MLB teams think. I personally rely on japanesebaseball.com as my filter for major events in Asian baseball and like seeing all the different articles of interest that you find.
[ Author: PLNara | Posted: May 7, 2009 1:20 PM | HT Fan ]

A couple of ideas:
  1. Grab the rss feeds from the most common sites -- mine, Deanna's, Matt's, etc. This won't catch all the stuff Michael aggregates, but it would get a majority.
  2. Have a user-generated list of links, implementing something like Reddit.com. (Actually there's probably a much simpler link-sharing app to implement somewhere.)
Overall though, I like that it's user discussion and not external news showing up on the homepage. There is some very good content available on this site and it shouldn't take a backseat to what's available elsewhere.
[ Author: westbaystars | Posted: May 16, 2009 12:11 AM | YBS Fan ]

Well, the problem isn't so much what the MLB teams said as it is how much time I can afford to spend doing these. Sorry, it's just a matter or priorities.
About

This is a site about Pro Yakyu (Japanese Baseball), not about who the next player to go over to MLB is. It's a community of Pro Yakyu fans who have come together to share their knowledge and opinions with the world. It's a place to follow teams and individuals playing baseball in Japan (and Asia), and to learn about Japanese (and Asian) culture through baseball.

It is my sincere hope that once you learn a bit about what we're about here that you will join the community of contributors.

Michael Westbay
(aka westbaystars)
Founder

Search for Pro Yakyu news and information
Copyright (c) 1995-2024 JapaneseBaseball.com.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons License.
Some rights reserved.