Adjust Font Size: A A       Guest settings   Register

Nichi-Bei Forum Moderation Report

Discussion in the Administrative forum
Nichi-Bei Forum Moderation Report
I've gotten a complaint about the moderation on the Nichi-Bei forum. I'd therefore like to hear from those who still read/contribute to it what their perception of the forum is. In particular, is moderation there working or not?

I realize that the styles of moderation between him an I differ. I act as an editor in publishing, trying to make the presentation good while filtering out unnecessary emotional baggage (for better or worse). The Nichi-Bei editor, to the best of my knowledge, just decides if a post is inflammatory or not and approves or disapproves it.

I want to hear from logged in users only. Do you perceive a problem with moderation of the Nichi-Bei forum or not?

If you'd rather not have your post public, please state so. I've also setup a temporary account: nichi-bei at japanesebaseball d0t com for off-list discussions on this matter. Don't expect an immediate response either way. I'm going to mill over all of the responses before replying to anything.
Comments
Re: Nichi-Bei Forum Moderation Report
[ Author: Jbroks86 | Posted: Sep 19, 2006 9:42 AM | SFT Fan ]

- Do you perceive a problem with moderation of the Nichi-Bei forum or not?

First off, the major problem that I see is that it takes too long for posts to be posted on the Nichi-Bei forum, which is frustrating. The time lag between post submission and approval or non-post approval has sometimes taken days, which is overly frustating.

Regarding moderation, the Nichi-Bei forum seems to be where the majority of flames or disagreements come up here, from the two or so years of my experience. So I agree that moderation is necessary at a minimum.

I just don't see moderation working at the moment, though, for the reasons you mentioned in your second paragraph. For example, many posts have became less organized, and the such, I must admit that I just learned how to HTMLize hyperlinks a few months ago, thanks to my blog.

Second off, I feel like the Nichi-Bei forum has became a less important aspect. While, yes, the main aspect of this site is baseball in Japan, and that's how it should be, I still feel like it is an important and enlightening part of the site, when not boggled down with accumulating arguments.

Since August 1st, the number of posts and new posts have basically come to a halt with only 6 topics since then and a nominal amount of posts since then. That also has become frustrating, too, and has basically driven me away from the forum.

Though, I also understand the hostilities which tend to appear there. This, at times, can and does make the Nichi-Bei forum very frustrating and does drive people away from the forum. As I must say at times, I also get annoyed with the attitude at times, and sometimes don't always use the best judgment always.

So far, I haven't seen many problems with moderation there, except that it is slow and it lacks the editing to make the presentation (aka post) look a lot more clearer, as it the case with the lack of HTML. Right now, I wish I could offer a quick solution, but it is indeed a very difficult situation due to the nature of the forum over the last few months.
[ Author: BigManZam | Posted: Sep 19, 2006 4:58 PM | CLM Fan ]

I don't know when it's taken me days to approve a message, because I have a habit of checking pending messages first thing in the morning. It was probably when I was away from my computer for a few days, but that doesn't happen often.

Also, I'll be the first to admit I can't stand HTML tagging URLs and cleaning things up like Michael does. I tried for the first couple weeks, but it drove me crazy. It's just something I don't do, and if I do it, I usually have an automatic way of doing it (like on my blog).

If people would rather have a hyperlink friendly and more MLB.com style hostile Nichi-Bei forum, I'll gladly give up my moderating duties. I was put there specifically to keep Michael's stress level low, and I think I did my job. Now I have to deal with my own level of annoyance, because some people don't like having their inflammatory messages deleted. I have more important things to worry about right now, so Michael, do what you have to do. I'm tired of this.
[ Author: torakichi | Posted: Sep 19, 2006 9:09 PM | HT Fan ]

<BigManZam says>
- I have to deal with my own level of annoyance, because some people don't like having their inflammatory messages deleted. I have more important things to worry about right now, so Michael, do what you have to do. I'm tired of this.
</BigManZam says>

Such is the lot of the forum moderator. Anyone who can "herd the cats," as it were, on an Internet forum is a better man than I.

FWIW, although Nichi-Bei isn't a forum I post in very often, perhaps because of it's lack of Hanshin topics. I can't say I've ever noticed anything wrong with it. Gokuro-san and gambare to the moderator.
About

This is a site about Pro Yakyu (Japanese Baseball), not about who the next player to go over to MLB is. It's a community of Pro Yakyu fans who have come together to share their knowledge and opinions with the world. It's a place to follow teams and individuals playing baseball in Japan (and Asia), and to learn about Japanese (and Asian) culture through baseball.

It is my sincere hope that once you learn a bit about what we're about here that you will join the community of contributors.

Michael Westbay
(aka westbaystars)
Founder

Search for Pro Yakyu news and information
Copyright (c) 1995-2024 JapaneseBaseball.com.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons License.
Some rights reserved.