Adjust Font Size: A A       Guest settings   Register

Posts to Old Threads

Discussion in the Administrative forum
Posts to Old Threads
I got a message earlier today complaining about posts to old threads. There have been a couple recently, with one being a revival of the Kawakami No-Hits Giants. I can see how the post to such an old thread could be confusing. Up comes a post talking about Hideki Matsui going 0 for 3 when he hasn't been in Japan for several years. On the other hand, I can see how Kawakami's performance last night against the Marines (pinch hitter Saburo, the Marines' 27th batter of the night, led off the ninth with a single to right for their first hit) relates to this older thread.

To further confuse matters, Nippon Ham's Darvish 2-hit the Giants Tigers last night, which is also related but not mentioned, leading the original poster [who clearly followed the Tigers' game] to be confused about who the topic should have been about. [I loved the original rant, by the way, but rejected the message due to this mistake. Ranting about the wrong game kind of took away from the overall effect. Mail notifying you bounced. Sorry.]

Anyway, the matter at hand was not a couple of potential no-no's, but rather posting to old threads. I'm going to see what I can do to prevent that later tonight, but I'd first like an idea about how old old is. Should threads be closed after 1 month? 2 months? Should there be a warning put up, then allow posting if the user still persists that it's relavant?

[Edited by: Admin on Jun 8, 2006 8:18 AM JST]
Comments
Re: Posts to Old Threads
[ Author: Guest: Jim Albright | Posted: Jun 8, 2006 12:12 AM ]

I think I'd judge by how long it's been since someone posted. I'd suggest that if no one has posted in (pick a period of no less than one month and no more than two months), it's old enough to close it.

Jim Albright
[ Author: Guest: buymeabeer | Posted: Jun 8, 2006 10:10 AM ]

Yeah, I originally read it as I woke up and complained to my brother (in town, not for long, fear not) personally and he took it into his own hands ("You pi**ed off my big brother and now you'll DIE!!!!" kinda attitude - which is why he's such a fun little brother to have around every now and again). But thanks for pointing that out to me. He saved what he wrote, and I laughed my a** off as well (I forced him to eat natto a couple days ago, another fun experience I wish I had on film).

So anyway, my apologies for the misunderstanding, but it's good to know that you at least got a couple of laughs out of it.

On another note, I'm not sure what you have for my e-mail, but try **********@yahoo.com it should work. If it doesn't, uhhh - can you leave me a message on this site?
[ Author: westbaystars | Posted: Jun 8, 2006 2:03 PM | YBS Fan ]

Your profile says it's at hotmail. That explains it. Thanks.
[ Author: Jbroks86 | Posted: Jun 24, 2006 7:33 AM | SFT Fan ]

- Should threads be closed after 1 month? 2 months? Should there be a warning put up, then allow posting if the user still persists that it's relavant?

I definetly see the point of the matter, as posting on a subject matter such as "Hideki Matsui going 0-3 when he was in Japan." Correct me if I paraphrased this wrong, but with News topics there should be some kind of way to prevent this.

Though some topics, do have news that won't come up for a while, like the Murakami Fund situation. It depends on the situation, if it's a post from like you said from almost over 4 years ago, then yes, it is definetly too long of a time phase to post, useless or irrevelant information to a old topic.

I would find a way to mention it when you go to "Post A Response," and if it continues find another way to deal with it.
About

This is a site about Pro Yakyu (Japanese Baseball), not about who the next player to go over to MLB is. It's a community of Pro Yakyu fans who have come together to share their knowledge and opinions with the world. It's a place to follow teams and individuals playing baseball in Japan (and Asia), and to learn about Japanese (and Asian) culture through baseball.

It is my sincere hope that once you learn a bit about what we're about here that you will join the community of contributors.

Michael Westbay
(aka westbaystars)
Founder

Search for Pro Yakyu news and information
Copyright (c) 1995-2024 JapaneseBaseball.com.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons License.
Some rights reserved.