Adjust Font Size: A A       Guest settings   Register

Roberto Petagine

Discussion in the Ask the Commish forum
Roberto Petagine
Does anyone know when Petagine`s contract is up with Yakult? I would figure that Major League teams would be interested in him, since he has played so well in Japan. The only questions are if he wants to go back to the US, since they snubbed him once there and labeled him a minor league slugger, and if he does, when is he a free agent.
Comments
Re: Roberto Petagine
[ Author: Guest: aladdinsane | Posted: Jan 12, 2002 8:02 AM ]

After some early rumored interest by the Yankees (as
insurance in case Jason Giambi stayed in Oakland), Petagine is staying in Japan with a nice pay raise.
Kind of curious, though, why the Braves, who used
Julio Franco, a refugee from the Korean and Mexican Leagues, at first base, didn't give him a look. I
also wonder if the Yankees think that Nick Johnson isn't truly major league ready yet, all the hype on him
notwithstanding.
[ Author: Guest: fusianasan | Posted: Jan 12, 2002 2:20 PM ]

I consider Petagine as being a much better hitter than Orestes Destrade, but not exactly a slugger on a par with Cecil Fielder. Still, given the success of Matt Stairs and Lee Stevens in the majors, I wouldn't be surprised if he batted .280 with +30HRs in the majors if given a chance to play.
[ Author: Cub Fan | Posted: Jan 17, 2002 10:45 AM ]

Nick Johnson is going to play right field and DH. That way the Yankees could sign Giambi. Also, what are Petagine's career Japanese statistics? Petagine is 31 and that is getting a bit old for major league clubs. In 193 career major league games he batted only .225 with a .346 OBP, 1 SB, 10 HR, and 43 RBI.
[ Author: Guest: RodPoke | Posted: Jan 17, 2002 7:18 AM ]

petagine should be playing in the majors. He'd fit perfectly with the tigers or orioles.
About

This is a site about Pro Yakyu (Japanese Baseball), not about who the next player to go over to MLB is. It's a community of Pro Yakyu fans who have come together to share their knowledge and opinions with the world. It's a place to follow teams and individuals playing baseball in Japan (and Asia), and to learn about Japanese (and Asian) culture through baseball.

It is my sincere hope that once you learn a bit about what we're about here that you will join the community of contributors.

Michael Westbay
(aka westbaystars)
Founder

Search for Pro Yakyu news and information
Copyright (c) 1995-2024 JapaneseBaseball.com.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons License.
Some rights reserved.