Adjust Font Size: A A       Guest settings   Register

American College Players going to the NPB?

Discussion in the Ask the Commish forum
American College Players going to the NPB?
As the NPB continues to gain prominence and success, have any top NCAA-DIV I college players ever been offered to come play in the NPB right after college instead of going to the MLB (and into the "farm" system)? Is it even possible?

MLB keeps attracting top talent away from the NPB, what if the NPB started going after top MLB-draft talent at the beginning of player's careers out of college? What would a top-college talent look like after 3-4 years playing in the NPB versus 3-4 years in an MLB farm-system? Better, worse, the same?

Just thinking.
Comments
Re: American College Players going to the NPB?
[ Author: westbaystars | Posted: May 2, 2017 10:26 PM | YBS Fan ]

Hmm. That's some interesting questions.

But I don't think it's going to happen. Most NPB teams expect foreign players to produce right away.

The Carp are really the only team interested in developing foreign talent. They have their Carp Academy in the Dominican Republic and promote a couple of players to play in Japan every now and then. They've had mixed success.

Other teams have flirted with the idea of developmental foreign players. But I don't think that any of such experiments have lasted more than two years.

It's an interesting idea. But too high a risk with very little potential for a return in a reasonable amount of time. I don't think it's very likely.
About

This is a site about Pro Yakyu (Japanese Baseball), not about who the next player to go over to MLB is. It's a community of Pro Yakyu fans who have come together to share their knowledge and opinions with the world. It's a place to follow teams and individuals playing baseball in Japan (and Asia), and to learn about Japanese (and Asian) culture through baseball.

It is my sincere hope that once you learn a bit about what we're about here that you will join the community of contributors.

Michael Westbay
(aka westbaystars)
Founder

Search for Pro Yakyu news and information
Copyright (c) 1995-2024 JapaneseBaseball.com.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons License.
Some rights reserved.