Adjust Font Size: A A       Guest settings   Register

Japanese Baseball Players in Cuba?

Discussion in the Ask the Commish forum
Japanese Baseball Players in Cuba?
My Cuban friend speaks passionately about three Japanese players he says played in Cuba in the 1970s. I couldn't find any information on them, so was hoping you could confirm and/or provide any extra information.

The players are: Saito Isao (3rd base), Murakami Tadanori (catcher), and Yamaguchi (southpaw pitcher).

Thanks!
Comments
Re: Japanese Baseball Players in Cuba?
[ Author: westbaystars | Posted: Apr 29, 2016 8:17 PM | YBS Fan ]

I don't have any information about them in Cuba, but I can dig up what they did in Japan.

> Saito Isao (3rd base)

Nothing found.

> Murakami Tadanori (catcher)

Nothing found.

> Yamaguchi (southpaw pitcher)

I found two left handed pitchers by the name of Yamaguchi. The first was Yamaguchi Kosuke, but he played for Nippon Ham in the early 2000s. The second was Yamaguchi Mitsuo, but he pitched for Nishitetsu in the early 1950s. So I don't think that either of them are the one.

It doesn't look like any of these players went onto a professional career in Japan. There's not much else I can add. Sorry.
[ Author: Guest: Tim | Posted: Apr 29, 2016 9:35 PM ]

Thanks for trying! My Google searches have ended with the same result. Mostly get hits for Cuban players in Japan--not the other way around.
[ Author: westbaystars | Posted: Apr 30, 2016 11:20 PM | YBS Fan ]

The Japanese Wikipedia is great for information post 1998. But it didn't have these players.

So I checked my Japanese Baseball Encyclopedia. If they had played professionally in Japan, then they would have been mentioned there.

Finding information about amateur ball players pre-Web is not an easy task. And I still don't have enough reference materials to do so. Sorry.
About

This is a site about Pro Yakyu (Japanese Baseball), not about who the next player to go over to MLB is. It's a community of Pro Yakyu fans who have come together to share their knowledge and opinions with the world. It's a place to follow teams and individuals playing baseball in Japan (and Asia), and to learn about Japanese (and Asian) culture through baseball.

It is my sincere hope that once you learn a bit about what we're about here that you will join the community of contributors.

Michael Westbay
(aka westbaystars)
Founder

Search for Pro Yakyu news and information
Copyright (c) 1995-2024 JapaneseBaseball.com.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons License.
Some rights reserved.