Adjust Font Size: A A       Guest settings   Register

Where to Watch NPB in Washington D.C?

Discussion in the Ask the Commish forum
Where to Watch NPB in Washington D.C?
Hi all,

I just moved from Tokyo to Washington D.C. for work, and I cannot find a place to watch Japanese baseball here. Does anyone know any bars in Washington region (DC, VA, MD) that I can watch Japanese baseball?

Best,
TD
Comments
Re: Where to Watch NPB in Washington D.C?
[ Author: westbaystars | Posted: May 13, 2014 1:38 PM | YBS Fan ]

The normal answer to the question of watching NPB from outside of Japan is Justin.TV, either from your computer, phone, or tablet. But you want to do so in a social atmosphere? That's a first.

Well, it basically comes down to what the proprietor of the bar has access to. For Yomiuri Giants' home games there's One World Sports. If I were in your shoes, I'd ask the bartender if they have access to that channel first. If so, and it's a time that a game is on, you're in luck! Not living there, though, I have no idea if they replay games via delay at more reasonable hours or not. (Then again, bars may be open during live games. I'm not a bar goer, so that's another thing I'm not completely sure about.)

If the bar has a tech savvy employee, they may be able to "tune" the TV in to Justin.TV. You can always ask about that as well. Further Internet-based options are outlined very well by Patrick Newman in his "Following Japanese Baseball" series Part 3: Watching Online over at NPBTracker.com.

Hope this helps.
[ Author: Rocksfan | Posted: May 20, 2014 10:08 PM | CHU Fan ]

Comcast has a channel called "The Comcast Network" that has, at least in the past few years, re-broadcast some of One World Sports' broadcasts. I do not know how wide the availability of this network is. I do not get it via Direct TV. I do know that friends of mine get it on various Comcast providers in Maryland, so it may be possible that a bar in DC or the DC suburbs in Maryland would have it.
[ Author: NelsonChung | Posted: May 25, 2014 3:44 PM | NIP Fan ]

I can't answer your question, but I'm in the DC area. Hit me up if you want a baseball buddy.
About

This is a site about Pro Yakyu (Japanese Baseball), not about who the next player to go over to MLB is. It's a community of Pro Yakyu fans who have come together to share their knowledge and opinions with the world. It's a place to follow teams and individuals playing baseball in Japan (and Asia), and to learn about Japanese (and Asian) culture through baseball.

It is my sincere hope that once you learn a bit about what we're about here that you will join the community of contributors.

Michael Westbay
(aka westbaystars)
Founder

Search for Pro Yakyu news and information
Copyright (c) 1995-2024 JapaneseBaseball.com.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons License.
Some rights reserved.