Adjust Font Size: A A       Guest settings   Register

Salaries

Discussion in the Ask the Commish forum
Salaries
How many Zero's do you need to add behind the slalries listed on your sight for the actual salary. I doubt people play for $670?
Comments
Re: Salaries
[ Author: westbaystars | Posted: Sep 25, 2001 12:57 PM | YBS Fan ]

Sorry, I generally write for those who know something of Japan, and the currency. I need a reminder every now and then that not everyone out there has lived in Japan.

Salaries are generally written in two base units: man yen or oku yen. 1-man is 10,000. 1-oku is 10,000-man or 100,000,000. You then remove the rightmost two 0's the subtract about 20% of the remainder to get the salaries in US$. (And you probably thought those word problems back in high school were completely worthless.

Let's take an example. Go to my 2001 salaries database page on the Yahoo Pro Yakyu mailing list group and sort by salaries. Yakult has two players, Satoh and Matsumoto, making 400-man yen this season. So, we get 4,000,000 --> drop two 0's and it's 40,000 --> 20% of that is 8,0000, so after subtracting that, you get around $32,000. (Note, this is very rough, and depending on the current rate, may be off by thousands of dollars.)

Now, let's hit the "Last" button there and see who's paid the most. That would be the Giants' Matsui Hideki at 5-oku yen. Once two 0's are removed, that'd be 500-man or 5,000,000 --> 20% of that is 100-man, leaving you with 400-man or $4,000,000.

How many digits smaller is the hightest paid Japanese player to the highest paid MLB player?
Re: Salaries
[ Author: 1908 | Posted: Sep 26, 2001 5:35 AM | HT Fan ]

> How many digits smaller is the hightest paid Japanese
> player to the highest paid MLB player?

In case that wasn
About

This is a site about Pro Yakyu (Japanese Baseball), not about who the next player to go over to MLB is. It's a community of Pro Yakyu fans who have come together to share their knowledge and opinions with the world. It's a place to follow teams and individuals playing baseball in Japan (and Asia), and to learn about Japanese (and Asian) culture through baseball.

It is my sincere hope that once you learn a bit about what we're about here that you will join the community of contributors.

Michael Westbay
(aka westbaystars)
Founder

Search for Pro Yakyu news and information
Copyright (c) 1995-2024 JapaneseBaseball.com.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons License.
Some rights reserved.