Adjust Font Size: A A       Guest settings   Register

Why are the Giants off a Slow Start?

Discussion in the Ask the Commish forum
Why are the Giants off a Slow Start?
Is it a problem with the Giants' slow start pitching or hitting?
Comments
Re: Why are the Giants off a Slow Start?
[ Author: gotigersredsox | Posted: May 15, 2008 6:06 PM ]

I'm not sure how the pitching stats are, but I know that almost everyone has gotten off to a slow start with the bats. The line-up has shown some of the expected power, but most players' batting averages are well below their career numbers. I'm sure this team will start clicking before long, but as a Tigers fan I sure hope they don't!
[ Author: number9 | Posted: May 15, 2008 7:18 PM ]

It's a combination of factors. As of today, the team has given up the second most runs in the Central League, so that's not good. And they were only hitting in the .230s until recently, though their team OBP is still under .300 (worst in CL), so I'm sure that's a killer combination.
[ Author: sangubashi | Posted: May 16, 2008 5:56 PM | TYS Fan ]

Yet even with all of those terrible statistics, and those are bad and near the bottom of the league in both hitting and batting, they are only one game out of a playoff spot.
[ Author: mijow | Posted: May 18, 2008 10:56 AM | HT Fan ]

- Yet even with all of those terrible statistics, and those are bad and near the bottom of the league in both hitting and batting, they are only one game out of a playoff spot.

Indeed - just like the Tigers last year. So it's much too early to write them off.
[ Author: Guest: gotigersredsox | Posted: May 19, 2008 5:20 PM ]

As long as the Giants make the playoffs (er, Climax Series), they will be dangerous. If their bats are hot, they can beat anyone in a short series. So let's hope that they finish 4th!
[ Author: number9 | Posted: May 20, 2008 1:24 AM ]

Superior pitching and defense seem to trump big bats in the playoffs because almost all pitchers will be starting aces and bullpen aces. This has been a trend both in MLB and NPB (how are things in CPBL and KBO?).
[ Author: Christopher | Posted: May 22, 2008 5:03 PM | HAN Fan ]

Jim Allen's Hot Corner in the Daily Yomiuri this week contains an excellent analysis of the Giants' troubles and their causes. Worth reading if you are a Giants fan (and even if you aren't).
About

This is a site about Pro Yakyu (Japanese Baseball), not about who the next player to go over to MLB is. It's a community of Pro Yakyu fans who have come together to share their knowledge and opinions with the world. It's a place to follow teams and individuals playing baseball in Japan (and Asia), and to learn about Japanese (and Asian) culture through baseball.

It is my sincere hope that once you learn a bit about what we're about here that you will join the community of contributors.

Michael Westbay
(aka westbaystars)
Founder

Search for Pro Yakyu news and information
Copyright (c) 1995-2024 JapaneseBaseball.com.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons License.
Some rights reserved.