Adjust Font Size: A A       Guest settings   Register

Hiromi Wada

Discussion in the Ask the Commish forum
Hiromi Wada
Can anyone tell me in how many seasons Lion catcher Hiromi Wada appeared in the Japanese All-Star contests? Thanks.

Jim Albright
Comments
Re: Hiromi Wada
[ Author: westbaystars | Posted: Aug 2, 2003 3:03 PM | YBS Fan ]

This page [in Japanese] states that the Hiromi Wada who played for the Nishitetsu Lions from 1955-72 participated in the All Stars five times.

Sorry I'm so late in looking this up. I wasn't sure of which Wada you wanted, and didn't know about Hiromi. (I'm not so good with historical players - yet.) After you clarified it on the mailing list (and I found some time), I think I've got the one you were asking about.
[ Author: Guest: Jim Albright | Posted: Aug 2, 2003 8:09 PM ]

That's the guy. I'm guessing, but not certain, that the page is trying to say 5 seasons as an all-star, rather than 5 games. I have some doubt about this, seeing as there are 2-3 such games every year. If you are able to clarify this, let me know.

One possibility is does the 1998 encyclopedia tell you this information in the section between the player's name and his regular season record? If it does, I could scan and email that section to you for a quick translation. Anyway, thanks for the help, as always.

Jim Albright
[ Author: Guest: dan johnson | Posted: Aug 3, 2003 1:40 AM ]

Hi Jim,

-- Hiromi Wada was selected to the Pacific League All-Star team in 1957, 1958, 1959, 1961, 1962, 1964, 1965, 1966.

-- He actually played in All-Star Games only in 1958, 1959, 1961, 1964, and 1966.

-- He played in five games, had seven at-bats, and two hits.

I hope this helps. Let me know if you need more information.
[ Author: Guest: Dan Johnson | Posted: Aug 3, 2003 7:10 AM ]

Hi again Jim,

I apologize for a mistake I made in my other e-mail. Hiromi Wada played in All-Star Games in five different years, and in seven different games. He had two hits in five at-bats. The other information that I provided is correct.
[ Author: Guest: Jim Albright | Posted: Aug 3, 2003 12:24 PM ]

Great. That's what I was looking for -- and I think that being selected to 8 such teams supports my thought that, but for Katsuya Nomura, he would have been getting some Best Nine selections to his credit.

Jim Albright
About

This is a site about Pro Yakyu (Japanese Baseball), not about who the next player to go over to MLB is. It's a community of Pro Yakyu fans who have come together to share their knowledge and opinions with the world. It's a place to follow teams and individuals playing baseball in Japan (and Asia), and to learn about Japanese (and Asian) culture through baseball.

It is my sincere hope that once you learn a bit about what we're about here that you will join the community of contributors.

Michael Westbay
(aka westbaystars)
Founder

Search for Pro Yakyu news and information
Copyright (c) 1995-2024 JapaneseBaseball.com.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons License.
Some rights reserved.