Adjust Font Size: A A       Guest settings   Register

fan chants

Discussion in the Ask the Commish forum
fan chants
Hey there commish,
I'm currently editing a translation of a Japanese comic that lightly touches on Japanese pro ball. So, I want to get it right, and since we don't really have an equivalent of the general din Hiragana, I'm hoping to replace the sound effects in the background with popular (and hopefully somewhat silly) crowd chants. From what I understand, the fans are like teams themselves, and the chants can be rather distinct and funny. In the comic I'm currently working on, the Seibu Lions are up against the Fighting Hams. Also, has there actually been a pitcher named Koji Uryu, or someone approximate to that name, in the last five years or so, pitching for the Lions? Just curious on that last question. The comic book artist likes to reference pop figures by changing names, so...anyway, any help would be great.

Thanks,

Tim
Comments
Re: fan chants
[ Author: westbaystars | Posted: Apr 6, 2002 9:35 AM | YBS Fan ]

- [...] since we don't really have an equivalent of the general din Hiragana, I'm hoping to replace the sound effects in the background with popular (and hopefully somewhat silly) crowd chants.

Well, the general ending to all the chants is "Kattobase! [player name here]". "Ka!" is the sound the ball makes coming off the bat. "Tobase" means "make (it) fly."

-Also, has there actually been a pitcher named Koji Uryu, or someone approximate to that name, in the last five years or so, pitching for the Lions?

Hmm. I don't see anyone close to that in my overall player list. Then you can check the Lions for 1996, 1997, 1998, 1999, 2000, 2001, and 2002 for somebody close.

Hope this helps.
Re: fan chants
[ Author: Guest: null | Posted: Apr 17, 2002 7:53 PM ]

I'm sure that Mr. Westbaystars knows about this better than I do, but I noticed that the BayStars fans would clap in unison when the P.A. system would blast the song, "Who Let the Dogs Out?" by the Baha Men for Tanishige last season. I thought that it was pretty funny and pretty original, and I noticed that the Dragons have picked up on it this season and are doing the same thing when Tanishige comes to bat. It's a great song to use at sporting events.

Also, I noticed that the Swallows play the '80s song, "Mickey", by Toni Basil when Miki (#35) comes to the plate. That's pretty clever. It's like what one poster said about an minor league infielder named Corey Hart who comes to bat with the '80s song "Sunglasses at Night" by Corey Hart (not the same guy obviously) blasting from the speakers. I think Japanese baseball is actually starting to show a little bit of originality and wit.
About

This is a site about Pro Yakyu (Japanese Baseball), not about who the next player to go over to MLB is. It's a community of Pro Yakyu fans who have come together to share their knowledge and opinions with the world. It's a place to follow teams and individuals playing baseball in Japan (and Asia), and to learn about Japanese (and Asian) culture through baseball.

It is my sincere hope that once you learn a bit about what we're about here that you will join the community of contributors.

Michael Westbay
(aka westbaystars)
Founder

Search for Pro Yakyu news and information
Copyright (c) 1995-2024 JapaneseBaseball.com.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons License.
Some rights reserved.