Adjust Font Size: A A       Guest settings   Register

High School Baseball Documentary to Show in U.S.

Discussion in the Media Guide forum
High School Baseball Documentary to Show in U.S.
The Kokoyakyu High School Baseball documentary will show in the United States in Fall 2005. It will talk about the rigorous training of high school baseball players and the culture of Japanese High School Baseball.

http://www.projectilearts.org/kokoyakyu/
http://www.yomiuri.co.jp/dy/sports/20050908TDY24001.htm
Comments
Re: High School Baseball Documentary to Show in U.S.
[ Author: metroalex | Posted: Sep 9, 2005 3:30 AM | CD Fan ]

I am really forward to this. I was in Japan last month during the tournment. I was great to watch baseball in the morning!
[ Author: Guest: rj | Posted: Sep 11, 2005 7:14 AM ]

when and where is it giong to be on
[ Author: Guest: John Brooks | Posted: Sep 11, 2005 11:04 PM ]

Right now the documentary is still in post-production.

Here's is some more information on the documentary:

http://www.projectilearts.org/kokoyakyu/high_school_baseball.html
http://www.projectilearts.org/kokoyakyu/koko_trailer.html (Need Quicktime to play)
[ Author: Guest | Posted: Sep 14, 2005 3:28 AM ]

wow based on the links this seems very interesting. I wonder what network will be showing it, and when it will be aired.
[ Author: Guest: John Brooks | Posted: Oct 11, 2005 11:59 PM ]

This page has a link to all of the preview movies shown so far.

http://www.projectilearts.org/kokoyakyu/kokoyakyu_movies.html (need Windows Media Player)

[ Author: Guest: Alex Shear | Posted: Oct 18, 2005 2:56 AM ]

Although schoolboy baseball has been a Japanese obsession for over 100 years, "Kokoyakyu: High School Baseball" is the first film to bring it to the outside world. It is the first film ever authorized by the Japanese High School Baseball Federation (Koko-yakyu-ren-mei).

Like kokoyakyu itself, the film is non-profit and will be broadcast without commercials. The project has been funded by The US-Japan Foundation, The Japan-US Friendship Commission, and The Japan Foundation. Air travel provided by United Airlines.

The film follows two high schools in their 2004 quest for Koshien: Chiben Wakayama Gakuen Koko and Tennoji Koko in Osaka. The film also includes footage from the 86th (2004) Koshien Tournament, and interviews with Hideki Matsui and Robert Whiting.

Length: 86 minutes
Language: Japanese (English subtitles)
Airdate: Summer 2006
Outlet: TBD

You can check out our newest 3-minute trailer at:
www.projectilearts.org/kokoyakyu/koko_trailer.html

Please feel free to contact me ( alex@projectilearts.org ) with any questions, suggestions, etc.

Best,

Alex Shear

Producer
Projectile Arts, Inc.
www.projectilearts.org
[ Author: Jbroks86 | Posted: May 11, 2006 9:01 AM | SFT Fan ]

Kokoyakyu: High School Baseball will be aired on July 4, 2006 on PBS channels at 10 PM. [Preview]
[ Author: povfilms | Posted: Jun 27, 2006 12:35 AM ]

"Kokoyakyu: High School Baseball," a documentary by Kenneth Eng that opens up the world of Koshien by following the fortunes of two high school baseball teams as they compete in regional games and then head for the 2003 tournament in Japan, will have its national broadcast premiere on Tuesday, July 4th. The film is a part of the 19th season of P.O.V., the showcase for independent documentaries, on PBS.

We have produced an extensive companion website [PBS.org] that will feature interviews with filmmaker Kenneth Eng as well as Bobby Valentine, the former manager of the New York Mets, a discussion board with baseball experts such as Hideki Matsui and Robert Whiting, and links to other websites and resources on baseball in Japan.

We hope that you watch the P.O.V. broadcast of “Kokoyakyu: High School Baseball”on Tuesday, July 4th at 10 PM (check local listings) on most PBS stations.
[ Author: Guest | Posted: Jul 5, 2006 12:04 PM ]

The show has just concluded and I want to thank Eng-san and everyone involved for their fine work. I don't know if it will re-air, but I suggest catching it if you are able. The filmmakers were able to capture the spirit and excitement of Koshien as if the viewer is/was a member of the team. Thank you.
[ Author: Guest: Kenny | Posted: Jul 6, 2006 12:57 PM ]

I watched this documentary last night on PBS and I must say that this is one of the best documentary films I've ever seen. I was near tears in the end as the two teams battled to make it to Koshien.

"Hoop Dreams" is generally considered to be one of the best sports documentary films ever made, and although I enjoyed it, I have to say that "Kokoyakyu" is much better.

What a fabulous story this was. And what a well-made film. I can't praise this film enough.

Kudos to makers of this movie. Kudos also to the kantoku (head coach) of the Tennoji team. I have nothing but respect for him and the job he's doing there. A lot of teachers/coaches in Japan can learn from him. There's no negativity from him. He just focuses on the positives, even in tough times. The old saying about a man showing his character in adversity and not when he's on top is true in this case.

If the makers of this film ever decide to make a sequel, I'd love to be a part of it, either financially or as a volunteer assistant/interpreter.
[ Author: hillsy | Posted: Jul 7, 2006 6:12 AM | CD Fan ]

I missed it the first airing, but it's airing again here in Seattle on the 13th and 17th, so it may be re-airing other places as well.
[ Author: Guest | Posted: Jul 7, 2006 2:45 PM ]

Hey, what station in Seattle and when? I missed it too, but maybe I can get my housemate to set the Tivo or something. I was trying to figure out whether I'd want to try to buy a DVD of it or not. (The pages don't seem to agree on whether it's 54 minutes, 86 minutes, or what.)
About

This is a site about Pro Yakyu (Japanese Baseball), not about who the next player to go over to MLB is. It's a community of Pro Yakyu fans who have come together to share their knowledge and opinions with the world. It's a place to follow teams and individuals playing baseball in Japan (and Asia), and to learn about Japanese (and Asian) culture through baseball.

It is my sincere hope that once you learn a bit about what we're about here that you will join the community of contributors.

Michael Westbay
(aka westbaystars)
Founder

Search for Pro Yakyu news and information
Copyright (c) 1995-2024 JapaneseBaseball.com.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons License.
Some rights reserved.