Adjust Font Size: A A       Guest settings   Register

Can Matsuzaka Bounce Back?

Discussion in the Open Talk forum
Can Matsuzaka Bounce Back?
According to the latest reports, Matsuzaka wants to continue in MLB. While there's virtually zero chance the Red Sox would offer a contract, I imagine someone will give him a chance. Just curious what others think. Can he bounce back from injury and inconsistency and be a big league pitcher again?
Comments
Re: Can Matsuzaka Bounce Back?
[ Author: westbaystars | Posted: Nov 14, 2012 10:20 PM | YBS Fan ]

Sorry for the long delay in replaying.

In short, yes, I think that someone will give him a shot. Modern medicine has seen that many pitchers are "bouncing back" from injuries previous thought to be career ending. Daisuke is a tough kid. He'll recover and figure out what he has to do to continue competing.
[ Author: gotigersredsox | Posted: Nov 16, 2012 1:05 PM ]

I hope someone gives him a shot. It's not so much just the surgery, but he's been so inconsistent the past few seasons. He seems to have lost faith in his "stuff," which is a shame to see. But I think in the right environment--Boston is the wrong environment for ANYONE right now--he could prosper at the back of the rotation without a $50 million posting fee hanging over his head.

I really thought it would help Matsuzaka to have Bobby V. in Boston, but we all know how that turned out. Despite the disaster of that experiment, I did really feel that Bobby really supported Matsuzaka and wanted him to bounce back. Bobby obviously won't be getting a fresh start managing somewhere new in MLB next year, but hopefully someone gives Matsuzaka a chance.
[ Author: DaClyde1 | Posted: Nov 19, 2012 4:51 AM | OBs Fan ]

He has been his own worst enemy the past few years. If he changed any one thing, it should probably be to stop throwing so many pitches. He's been sort of like Tim Lincecum was last year. Every few starts, you'd see the old Dice-K out there, mowing down his opponent. Then the next outing, he'd get to 3-2 on almost every batter and be at 90+ pitches by the 3rd or 4th inning. Opposing managers could almost have told their hitters just not to swing, and they could still win the game.
About

This is a site about Pro Yakyu (Japanese Baseball), not about who the next player to go over to MLB is. It's a community of Pro Yakyu fans who have come together to share their knowledge and opinions with the world. It's a place to follow teams and individuals playing baseball in Japan (and Asia), and to learn about Japanese (and Asian) culture through baseball.

It is my sincere hope that once you learn a bit about what we're about here that you will join the community of contributors.

Michael Westbay
(aka westbaystars)
Founder

Search for Pro Yakyu news and information
Copyright (c) 1995-2024 JapaneseBaseball.com.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons License.
Some rights reserved.