Adjust Font Size: A A       Guest settings   Register

Game Report: Seibu vs Lotte, 5/15

Discussion in the Open Talk forum
Game Report: Seibu vs Lotte, 5/15
Lotte returned home on Friday to try to shake the bad taste of Thursday night's collapse at the hands of Softbank.

Mission accomplished!

[Full Article: http://www.welovemarines.com/?p=339]
Comments
Re: Game Report: Seibu vs Lotte, 5/15
[ Author: Deanna | Posted: May 18, 2009 9:13 PM | NIP Fan ]

I wonder where the appropriate place to make this comment is, but, it's really messing with my head to see post titles here that look like my typical post titles for Marinerds posts about games I actually attended... only they're on someone else's blog about games they didn't attend.
[ Author: westbaystars | Posted: May 18, 2009 9:25 PM | YBS Fan ]

To further matters, Steve's got the same/similar sense of humor/irony.

My problem is that there are now two "Steve"s, neither with a last name, reporting on NPB. So I guess it's Hanshin-Steve (aka Kanpai-Steve?) and B2010-Steve.

Despite the feeling of being less relevant, I'm really enjoying the flourishing NPB blogophere that is popping up - many of whom didn't get a start here on JapaneseBaseball.com (to the best of my knowledge).
[ Author: SteveNovosel | Posted: May 19, 2009 1:40 AM | LOT Fan ]

Hi Deanna,

Sorry, I'm not (consciously) trying to copy your post styles or headings - I've just been titling my posts in what I thought was the clearest way possible. I'm still new at this - if it bothers you, I can change! If anything, I'm aping the Tokyo Yakult Swallows - style of blogging every game with a report, regardless of whether I attended or not (though John or I have attended over half of the home games so far and we'll be at all of the home games and a lot of the road games through the end of June).

Westbaystars, I registered under my first and last name here to avoid confusion with 'kanpai-steve.' Though my post headings on my site just use 'Steve.'
[ Author: westbaystars | Posted: May 19, 2009 10:55 AM | YBS Fan ]

Hey, it's a winning style with the both of you. Keep it up. You don't want to go with my boring, dry, "just the facts" style. As I said, the NPB blogosphere is really starting to shine thanks to people like the both of you.

I didn't mean for you to register here with your last name. It's just that one of the first things I do when I come across a new blog is see who's doing it. And it seems that nobody is putting their full names into their "about the author" pages any more. I can respect anonymity. But I'm getting to understand how a brand name used multiple times in the same field can cause confusion in the market place (even with different writing styles).

Finally, who's this "John" fellow? Is this another NPB blog that I haven't come across yet? I think I need to sit down and find all of the NPB blogs and put links to all of them in one place (other than my Google Reader).

Anyway, I really like the sense of humor. I'll try to make a correction (erasure?) to that "wash out" box score one of these days as well.
[ Author: SteveNovosel | Posted: May 19, 2009 1:00 PM | LOT Fan ]

Thanks for the encouragement! It's my first blog and I've only been up for less than 2 months at this point.

I did have my full name as my byline earlier but changed it. I've been wavering about it ever since and just changed my byline back to my full name.

John is my blogging partner John Evans. He makes a few comments and the occasional post, supplies me with some pictures and movies, and fills me in on details of games he went to that I missed. I've been bugging him to fill out some info on himself in the "About" section; I should bug him at the game again tonight!

Oh, and the Friday game wasn't really a washout; I just wish it were.
[ Author: Guest: N26 | Posted: May 19, 2009 8:14 PM ]

The news feed is greatly appreciated. Westbay-San.

@SteveNovose. Great blog!!! All these English blogs and this site are greatly appreciated. Currently living in no baseball Europe and Japanese baseball is greatly missed.

Btw, SteveNovosel. Are you the person who happened to be a part of the Marines "ouendan" and had a picture taken by Deanna?
[ Author: Christopher | Posted: May 19, 2009 1:07 PM | HAN Fan ]

Don't pay any attention to Deanna. Develop your own style and if it is similar to hers so be it. It's your blog and it's what you feel comfortable with that matters.
The Root Cause - Aggregator Problems
[ Author: Deanna | Posted: May 19, 2009 3:55 PM | NIP Fan ]

As usual, Christopher completely misses the point.

It's not a matter of whether a style got copied or not -- the only place where this is actually relevant at all happens to be HERE on Westbay's site, because you don't see where the link came from until after you click on the post itself.

Which is why I didn't comment on it on Steve's site, because it doesn't really make sense there. It seriously doesn't make a difference anywhere other than in a news feed that only shows both blogs' posts by title.

And as I said, the confusion to me is that I started doing the "Game Report: Away @ Home - Hopefully Funny Title" several years ago (before I even moved to Japan) to differentiate between "I watched a game on TV" and "I went to the game", because in general, the latter report reads a lot differently than the former -- almost as completely different an experience it is to watch a game from home and to watch a game from the stadium. Plus that the latter always contained my photographs from the game (though lately I wonder if they're worth doing anymore anyway).

So perhaps if anything, where the problem really falls is in how the news aggregator works on this site? Not that I think Westbay should spend time he doesn't have to do anything about it, BUT it actually would be pretty cool to know where an article is coming from before clicking on it -- am I the only person who feels that way?
Re: The Root Cause - Aggregator Problems
[ Author: Christopher | Posted: May 19, 2009 8:00 PM | HAN Fan ]

Well Deanna why don't you say so in the first place. Your post read like a complaint. More precision in your language and choice of words would help enormously considering that other people had the same interpretation as me. And yes, I suspect you are the only person who feels that way.
[ Author: westbaystars | Posted: May 19, 2009 8:09 PM | YBS Fan ]

Actually, I've felt that the aggregator's not outputting who wrote the articles has been a big problem (as many people credit me for what others are writing). So I spent 5 minutes this evening and fixed it. Now the CSS needs fixing (actually it has for quite a while) to make BLOCKQUOTES look better. You'll start seeing a difference later tonight.
[ Author: Deanna | Posted: May 19, 2009 11:21 PM | NIP Fan ]

[Insert standard comment about how Christopher is from some other planet, and the rest of the appropriate responses to his followups where he assures us that whatever his opinion is tried-and-true fact.]

Besides, as Westbay just pointed out, there IS often confusion about where a link comes from (note the Predictions post a couple of weeks ago in particular). I think this'll result in an improvement to the site, even if it didn't come out of a hearts-and-flowers post.
[ Author: Christopher | Posted: May 20, 2009 10:09 AM | HAN Fan ]

- Sorry, I'm not (consciously) trying to copy your post styles or headings - I've just been titling my posts in what I thought was the clearest way possible. I'm still new at this - if it bothers you, I can change!

I just copied this from Steve Novesel's response to you. Deanna my advice to you is to do something about your attitude problem. You write a confusing and misleading post and then seem to think that it is others fault that they don't understand you. Think before you post and think how you phrase your language. I can't make it any clearer than that but I think that if you follow this advice you will find it very beneficial.
[ Author: Deanna | Posted: May 20, 2009 3:56 PM | NIP Fan ]

You could benefit from following your own advice!
About

This is a site about Pro Yakyu (Japanese Baseball), not about who the next player to go over to MLB is. It's a community of Pro Yakyu fans who have come together to share their knowledge and opinions with the world. It's a place to follow teams and individuals playing baseball in Japan (and Asia), and to learn about Japanese (and Asian) culture through baseball.

It is my sincere hope that once you learn a bit about what we're about here that you will join the community of contributors.

Michael Westbay
(aka westbaystars)
Founder

Search for Pro Yakyu news and information
Copyright (c) 1995-2024 JapaneseBaseball.com.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons License.
Some rights reserved.