Adjust Font Size: A A       Guest settings   Register

Worst Complete Game Ever?

Discussion in the Open Talk forum
Worst Complete Game Ever?
Was there a mistake on the sports news on my keitai or did Orix really leave Nakayama in for the whole game yesterday despite giving up 12 runs on 15 hits?
Comments
Re: Worst Complete Game Ever?
[ Author: westbaystars | Posted: May 2, 2009 4:45 PM | YBS Fan ]

That's no mistake. Pitchers on both sides went the distance. From Nikkan Sports:

W L S G Inn BF Pit H K BB HbP R ER ERA
Nakayama (ORX) 0 2 0 3 8 43 148 15 2 6 1 12 12 7.58
Nagai (RAK) 3 0 0 4 9 34 115 6 1 1 1 2 2 2.28

Ohishi-kanoku stated that in the midst of 9 consecutive games he wanted to give the bullpen a rest. Besides, he continued, it's a good learning experience, especially with regard to leading off the 1st, 2nd, and 6th innings with walks.

I would like to say that he really only struggled in the 3rd inning when he gave up 8 runs while facing 12 batters, but that wasn't the case.

Despite the high score, the game only lasted 2 hours and 36 minutes. So he was at least working quickly. Want to speed up the game, don't go to the bullpen!

The last pitcher to throw a complete game losing blowout was Lotte Orions' Kazumi Sonokawa in 1987, giving up 13 runs.
[ Author: Christopher | Posted: May 2, 2009 7:31 PM | HAN Fan ]

What drivel! You pitch a starter for 148 pitches on a losing game? Really, one has to consider the coach an idiot. What does it do for the pitcher's arm?
[ Author: Guest: gotigersredsox | Posted: May 2, 2009 10:50 PM ]

I was shocked when the Red Sox left Penny in recently after giving up 7 runs in the 2nd, but this one was even crazier. But, I guess if you really want to rest the bullpen and figure the game is out of reach anyway.
[ Author: number9 | Posted: May 3, 2009 8:30 PM ]

NPB 1-gun rosters are 28 man, so each bullpen is deep (6 starters + 7 relievers or so), that means there are enough pitchers in the pen to handle mop up/long relief duties even during "grueling" 9 games in a row schedule. Heck, MLB teams only have like 6 guys in the pen and they often play more than 10 games in a row (with some doubleheaders thrown in if whether was uncooperative).
[ Author: Deanna | Posted: May 3, 2009 11:11 PM | NIP Fan ]

Yeah, that's a pretty awful complete game blowout. But Daijiro doesn't seem to trust his bullpen much lately. The other day he left Chihiro Kaneko in a bit too long too. Yeah, Kaneko had a shutout going, but it was pretty obvious he had nothing left going into the 9th, and his 135th pitch of the day was slammed over the right-field wall for a 3-run homer.

Personally, though, I'm still more annoyed at the time back in 2006 that Nomura left Kanehisa Arime in for 12 innings of a complete game 1-1 tie, throwing 188 pitches. I'm not sure which is more pointless, a complete game blowout or a complete game tie. The tie lasts longer and probably does more damage to the pitcher's arm, at any rate - the blowout just damages their ego and ERA.
[ Author: Guest | Posted: May 7, 2009 3:35 PM ]

Since we are talking about abusing pitchers, either by leaving them in a blowout game or having them throw too many pitches, can anyone find and list the top 10 most pitches thrown by a Japanese pitcher in a game? Or the top 10 blowout games of a pitcher, like the one our little Orix Grasshopper had to learn from?

Thanks in advance.
[ Author: number9 | Posted: May 7, 2009 11:54 PM ]

You'd probably want to restrict the search to some definition of "modern" NPB because, like in MLB, in the old days pitchers threw every inning and they started often.
About

This is a site about Pro Yakyu (Japanese Baseball), not about who the next player to go over to MLB is. It's a community of Pro Yakyu fans who have come together to share their knowledge and opinions with the world. It's a place to follow teams and individuals playing baseball in Japan (and Asia), and to learn about Japanese (and Asian) culture through baseball.

It is my sincere hope that once you learn a bit about what we're about here that you will join the community of contributors.

Michael Westbay
(aka westbaystars)
Founder

Search for Pro Yakyu news and information
Copyright (c) 1995-2024 JapaneseBaseball.com.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons License.
Some rights reserved.