4. Tokyo Yakult Swallows
5. Chunichi Dragons
6. Yokohama BayStars

[Full Article: http://www.npbtracker.com/2009/03/prediction-central-league/]
Comments
Re: Prediction: Central League
[ Author: Guest: zman | Posted: Mar 30, 2009 10:32 PM ]

Westbay,

Interesting you pick Hanshin over the dreaded Y. Giants. What is your reasoning? And I guess it must hurt to prepare for another BayStar bottom dwelling season.
[ Author: westbaystars | Posted: Mar 30, 2009 11:37 PM | YBS Fan ]

I'm afraid that those are not my views. Those are the views of Patrick at NPBTracker. You have to follow the links to see who the original authors are. (I guess I need to make that more clear in the posts.)

Also, I hope that most of you are following the links posted because many of these sites have photos, video, and lively commentary to go along with the teasers that I'm posting.

Personally, I figure that Hanshin will finish 4th and throw the Colonel back into the river.

If the BayStars finish in last place yet again, then they're going to hire Valentine-kantoku to come across Tokyo Bay and resurrect the team and city. Looking at it this way, suffering through another losing season this year will surely bring future prosperity.
[ Author: Guest | Posted: Mar 31, 2009 1:31 AM ]

Will Bobby V. bring the BoBeer and Bobby Burger to Yokohama? I sure hope he brings the winning attitude (if he ends up with the BayStars).

I don't think the BayStars will be the "cellar dwellers" this year; but I do hope Bobby V. ends up with us. Here are my predictions:
  1. Yomiuri Giants
  2. Hanshin Tigers
  3. Hiroshima Toyo Carp
  4. Yokohama BayStars
  5. Yakult Swallows
  6. Chunichi Dragons
I think the BayStars will make a push for the playoffs (and might even make it). It could be that I am in denial; but I just have a gut feeling that their season is going to be similar to 2007.

I also think that after this season there will be major changes within the Dragons organization. I think they are going to have a very disappointing season. Then again this is my point of view and I could be wrong.
[ Author: PLNara | Posted: Mar 31, 2009 6:10 AM | HT Fan ]

Hehe, it does look like you wrote that Westbaystars-san.

My reasoning for having Hanshin in first was that I think Arai and Mench will add the power that was lacking last season. Mench has had a horrible spring though.
[ Author: Christopher | Posted: Mar 31, 2009 9:54 AM | HAN Fan ]

With the Tigers we need to factor in a new manager, and Mayumi is clearly still finding his feet. The run of eight losses (broken by one tie) is clearly an indication that the Tigers will find things difficult. The rotation has been beefed, up but how this will pan out remains to be seen. I think realistically the Tigers cannot expect more than third this season.

I would place Giants at the top of the league again. Swallows rely too heavily on Aoki and BayStars, despite having Murata and Uchikawa, are weak on pitching. Carp have a lot of promising young pitchers but are weak on batting and the Dragons are an unknown quantity. They have lost some key players but made no major purchases.
[ Author: Guest | Posted: Apr 3, 2009 10:54 PM ]

- I'm afraid that those are not my views. [...] I hope that most of you are following the links posted because many of these sites have photos, video, and lively commentary to go along with the teasers that I'm posting.

Westbay,

Yes it is confusing that the post is in your name but it's not your post. I did follow the link after I replied.

- Personally, I figure that Hanshin will finish 4th and throw the Colonel back into the river. [...]

If the Hanshin Tigers end up in 4th place you may end up in a river. Remember where the Yaks are based and I think they do enjoy their HTs winning.

- If the BayStars finish in last place yet again, then they're going to hire Valentine-kantoku to come across Tokyo Bay and resurrect the team and city. Looking at it this way, suffering through another losing season this year will surely bring future prosperity.

As for your "letting them lose first so they will get better" strategy I suspect that you may have a future as a part-time monk in local temple. Suffering is good for the soul.
[ Author: Guest: N26 | Posted: Mar 31, 2009 9:49 PM ]

It'll probably be one of those Hanshin vs. Yomiuri years. Tokyo Dome and Koshien will be electric when the 2 big teams clash it out.

I'll be heading over to Japan this August or so, so hoping it still will be a close race and Yokohama a contender when I catch some live baseball games on hot August evenings.

My (wishful thinking) predictions are as follows
  1. Yokohama
  2. Yomiuri
  3. Hanshin
  4. Hiroshima
  5. Chunichi
  6. Yakult
[ Author: Guest | Posted: Apr 2, 2009 11:16 AM ]

1. Yomiuri Giants
2. Hiroshima Carp
3. Hanshin Tigers
4. Chunichi Dragons
5. Yakult Swallows
6. Yokohama BayStars
[ Author: Guest: Blacklabel | Posted: Apr 2, 2009 3:57 PM ]

1. Yomiuri Giants
2. Hanshin Tigers
3. Yokohama BayStars
4. Hiroshima Toyo Carp
5. Chunichi Dragons
6. Tokyo Yakult Swallows

Not in order of what I hope for, just how I think it is gonna be.
[ Author: stevesayskanpai | Posted: Apr 6, 2009 9:26 PM | HAN Fan ]

Just to get it on the record now (this lineup is ever so slightly based on me being a Hanshin fan):
  1. Hanshin
  2. Kyojin
  3. Hiroshima
  4. Yakult
  5. Chunichi
  6. BayStars
[ Author: Jgribbins | Posted: Apr 6, 2009 10:27 PM | HT Fan ]

1. Hiroshima Toyo Carp
2. Hanshin Tigers
3. Tokyo Yakult Swallows
4. Chunichi Dragons
5. Yomiuri Giants
6. Yokohama BayStars
[ Author: Guest: gotigersredsox | Posted: Apr 7, 2009 11:03 PM ]

Little late, but here goes:
  1. Giants
  2. Tigers
  3. Carp
  4. Dragons
  5. Swallows
  6. BayStars
This is from a Tigers fan obviously, so don't want to be too optimistic and jinx them by picking them first. There is a lot of uncertainty this year, as they could possibly win the CL but they could also drop as low as 3rd or even 4th. To win, a lot of things have to go right, but they are certainly possible. They have a lot of talented young arms (Iwata, Uezono, Ishikawa), so need them to live up to their potential.

Unfortunately, Mayumi has started by giving someone like Nohmi another chance even though he doesn't really deserve it. The bullpen is also a big issue. JFK is not what it was, as Kubota is injured and projected as a starter and Williams had a bit of a tough year last year. Also, Okada used Fujikawa way too much, so there could be issues. However, there is possible depth to make up for this.

On the batting side, hopefully swapping Kanemoto and Arai will work out. So far Kanemoto is killing the ball, so hopefully he can keep it up. Mench finally got some hits tonight, but is still a question mark. They either need to have a good year from him or get good production out of his replacement(s).

Finally, if Akahoshi and Sekimoto can have good years again, that is a lot of potential runs at the top of the order. (Although Mayumi has already moved Sekimoto from 2 to 6.)

Like most people, I think the Carp have a good chance for a breakthrough year and would like to see them do it.

The Dragons are rebuilding, so should drop down a bit. Still, in recent years they always seem to find a way to win and they are off to a hot start this year.

Most people also think the BayStars should be a bit better this year (how could they not be?), but I don't see them getting out of the cellar just yet.

Anyway, looking forward to an exciting year. Doesn't have to be the Tigers - if anyone can knock off the loaded Giants it will be a great year!
[ Author: Guest | Posted: Apr 8, 2009 12:50 AM ]

Man, Hanshin fans can be embarrassing! I love the real Tigers fans but cats thinking they are going to win the Central League are in that pipe dream realm. I'm not counting them out but why would anyone put them as the team to beat this year?

I go all out for Chunichi, and I even thought twice about putting them in the third slot on my prediction. Lower even wouldn't have minded me any; it's a long season and it's sweet when the underdogs take it. It's just a prediction after all, no reason to act all try-hard with your allegiance to your squad.

For the good of NPB, the Giants or the Tigers have to win and that's what irks me most.
[ Author: Guest: N26 | Posted: Apr 8, 2009 3:58 PM ]

Mayumi seems to be so much more human than Okada who was more like an alien. Even after the win against Hiroshima he tells the press that not changing Kubo in the top of the inning was his own fault. I was a big fan of Mayumi when he was a player and I guess I still like him a lot as manager, mostly due to his personality. Hanshin with some minor adjustment will still be at the top of the table. Though their team ERA is rather high from the first games played.

While I predicted Yokohama to become first, I'm not really believing my own predictions. I was hoping they would still be in the race until Golden Week but that too seems like a far fetched dream now.

Chunichi's pitching looks impressive so far. A team with good pitching always does well. I also consider Ochiai to be a smart manager. They had a good win last night in Jingu and are off to a good start.
[ Author: Guest: guest | Posted: Apr 8, 2009 11:49 PM ]

- Mayumi seems to be so much more human than Okada who was more like an alien.

Yeah, he seems more into the games than Okada. When Mench came around and had some hits last night, Mayumi was obviously happy for him. Okada's usual game face was along the lines of, "What do I want to eat after the game?"
[ Author: No.1BayFan | Posted: Apr 9, 2009 12:05 AM | YOK Fan ]

I'm going way out there with this one.
  1. Carp
  2. Chunichi
  3. Hanshin
  4. Yakult
  5. Yomiuri
  6. Yokohama
[ Author: Guest: Fishiguchi | Posted: Apr 21, 2009 1:53 AM ]

For French people who read JapaneseBasebal.com here are our predictions for Central League; Pa-League is also available.

Yes! We love baseball and yakyuu in France!

Thanks.
[ Author: Brad BT | Posted: Apr 23, 2009 5:35 AM | SEI Fan ]

Sorry I've been gone so long. But back to business.

I think that this is the year Hiroshima gets to the top of the Central League. My hope is that Yomiuri falls flat on it's face.
[ Author: Sara B | Posted: Apr 30, 2009 1:37 AM | HT Fan ]

Love love LOVE my Tigers, and my heart does not wish to see Yokohama on bottom again. But leaving emotions aside I would guess:
  1. Yomiuri Giants
  2. Hanshin Tigers
  3. Hiroshima Toyo Carp
  4. Chunichi Dragons
  5. Tokyo Yakult Swallows
  6. Yokohama BayStars
I think the Carp are poised for a good resurgence. Predicting playoffs and Japan Series is much, much harder -- I'd like to read some opinions on that.

Most importantly, ganbare Tigers, Rokko Oroshi, tora tora tora!!!
About

This is a site about Pro Yakyu (Japanese Baseball), not about who the next player to go over to MLB is. It's a community of Pro Yakyu fans who have come together to share their knowledge and opinions with the world. It's a place to follow teams and individuals playing baseball in Japan (and Asia), and to learn about Japanese (and Asian) culture through baseball.

It is my sincere hope that once you learn a bit about what we're about here that you will join the community of contributors.

Michael Westbay
(aka westbaystars)
Founder

Search for Pro Yakyu news and information
Copyright (c) 1995-2024 JapaneseBaseball.com.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons License.
Some rights reserved.